Great article on Vrabel and the Titans from Sando

BudsOilers

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Link https://theathletic.com/3914957/2022/11/21/mike-vrabel-tennessee-titans-coach/  

Mularkey won 9 games against two cupcake schedules with all sorts of breaks, then won literally the luckiest playoff game in NFL history where everything had to go right for the Titans to win against

I'll just say this... in a league of 32 teams - the expectation that a team has to win the superbowl or it's a bust of a season is a pretty miserable way to spend your time as a fan.   5th b

28 minutes ago, scine09 said:

The win/loss record against winning teams has to be incorrect.  They've won 48 regular season games since he became the coach, there's no way 41 were against winning teams.

I wouldn't be shocked if most of our losses were to below .500 teams. 

6 minutes ago, Thrill said:

I wouldn't be shocked if most of our losses were to below .500 teams. 

I went through this one day in the offseason and they were like 18-9 or something against sub .500 teams.  And this year their record is 7-0 against teams with losing records.

He's conservative in the playoffs like Fisher.  But I don't Jeff ever paying this much close attention to the nuances of the rules/games like Vrabel.  And there's a reason why they are always in the top 5 in red zone td % on offense.  And it's not just Tannehill and Henry etc.

4 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It's okay that you're in SB or bust mode. It doesn't make you right about Vrabel. 

It's not SB or bust, it's just something of value.  Winning the worst division in football 3 years straight isn't something of value.  

As far as Mularkey, @IrishTitansFan...you're not wrong about the schedule or the KC game with Alex Smith, but Mularkey had Mariota at QB, no Big Jeff, no best RB in the league, and no AJ.  He was fired for being too conservative and we were promised that meathead would take us from good to great.  Unfortunately, meathead is more conservative and is 2-3 in the playoffs (not great).  But he's great why?  The talking heads think so?  

59 minutes ago, rns90 said:

He's conservative in the playoffs like Fisher.  But I don't Jeff ever paying this much close attention to the nuances of the rules/games like Vrabel.  And there's a reason why they are always in the top 5 in red zone td % on offense.  And it's not just Tannehill and Henry etc.

The red zone success is absolutely Tannehill and to a lesser degree, Henry.

In Vrabel's first year (with Mariota) the team's RZ% was 53.2% (23rd).

With Tannehill, we have been:

2019 (#1)

2020 (#2)

2021 (#5)

2022 (#2)

Thursday’s victory over Green Bay was the 80th game of Mike Vrabel’s head-coaching career, including playoffs. In the five seasons since Mike Vrabel became head coach in Tennessee, his record versus his mentor’s:

W-L         Win Pct.

Mike Vrabel, Titans                                      50-30           (.625)

Bill Belichick, Patriots                                  49-31            (.613)

3 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

Did I say they had a different record...dummy?  

Yeah, one guy lucked out with the 9-7 record and made it to the playoffs and the other had a QB go limp before the last game that would have made us 10-6 if we won.

5 hours ago, scine09 said:

The win/loss record against winning teams has to be incorrect.  They've won 48 regular season games since he became the coach, there's no way 41 were against winning teams.

It may be counting the records of teams at that point in the season instead of looking back when the season is complete.  

3 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

0-3 against teams with winning records.  

I wish Vrabel had a reputation of playing good teams tough...  Guy just beats up on the bad teams!

Edited by japan