Thoughts on roster make up from last year

OILERMAN

7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

We better not pick another tackle high in the next 4 years at the least unless it’s Radunz taking over at LT and us filling the hole.

Even if Radunz takes over at LT, we still shouldn't use another high pick to fill the hole at RT because you can get a quality RT later in the draft.

Speaking of Radunz, the commentary about him is hilarious to me.  Some people are saying what you just said, he might be our LTOF.  Then there are others who don't think he's ready to start at RT right now.  That's a pretty wide spectrum for a guy some people are saying was hands down the BPA.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Titans are trying to contend for a SB while they have a franchise QB playing at an elite level. The Titans have one of the best offenses in the league.    Last's years team was not a SB

Yea classic Oman, well reasoned thoughts that are usually right    

Like clockwork...

Posted Images

1 minute ago, abenjami said:

Even if Radunz takes over at LT, we still shouldn't use another high pick to fill the hole at RT because you can get a quality RT later in the draft.

Speaking of Radunz, the commentary about him is hilarious to me.  Some people are saying what you just said, he might be our LTOF.  Then there are others who don't think he's ready to start at RT right now.  That's a pretty wide spectrum for a guy some people are saying was hands down the BPA.

It comes down to his game tape and his RAS score. He’s a top level athlete with 34 inch arms. He’s every bit the athlete Lewan is coming out, just not nearly as polished because of competition. 

He’s day 1 starting RT. I have zero doubts about it. 

For those saying that the offense dramatically suffered because our T injuries, and how that justifies the investment both in starters and backups, might I remind you how the season ended: with Khalif Raymond falling on the ground and leading to an interception.

That was because CDavis was hurt and couldn't play the last drive. CDavis isn't even on the roster now. Hell, Raymond isn't even on the roster. Do you guys honestly think that it matters who we have at RT if Henry is asked to rush 40 times a game and Tannehill's best option is Reynolds? Or Batson? Lol.

This offense staggered even before the playoffs as Vrabel became the most conservative HC I've ever seen. They need better depth and more legit WRs; Batson should never be a starter vs playoff caliber defenses. But we're currently 1 nicked up WR from that reality.

Edited by cenj

3 minutes ago, cenj said:

This offense staggered even before the playoffs as Vrabel became the most conservative playcaller I've ever seen. They need better depth and more legit WRs; Batson should never be a starter vs playoff caliber defenses. But we're currently 1 nicked up WR from that reality.

Yeah they really staggered in scoring 30 plus points in 6 of the last 7 games, including 41 in the final game.

Vrabel called the plays?

3 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Yeah they really staggered in scoring 30 plus points in 6 of the last 7 games, including 41 in the final game.

Vrabel called the plays?

Eh, not well worded. Vrabel influenced the playcalling and is the reason we go into a scared shell and become uber predictable, running Henry over and over on 1st and 2nd down, then putting Tannehill in tough situations.

We beat up on bad defenses late (Jax, Hou, Lions) and got shut down by Green Bay and Baltimore. The Browns also stuffed our offense, but we had two garbage time TDs at the very end to make a misleading stat line. So yes, in 3 of the last 6 games our offense staggered.

38 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Vrabel called the plays?

Those defenses we played were world beaters too, right?  

I would argue that the Titans and Texans have gotten worse from last year, while the Jags and Colts have gotten better.  

2 hours ago, cenj said:

For those saying that the offense dramatically suffered because our T injuries, and how that justifies the investment both in starters and backups, might I remind you how the season ended: with Khalif Raymond falling on the ground and leading to an interception.

That was because CDavis was hurt and couldn't play the last drive. CDavis isn't even on the roster now. Hell, Raymond isn't even on the roster. Do you guys honestly think that it matters who we have at RT if Henry is asked to rush 40 times a game and Tannehill's best option is Reynolds? Or Batson? Lol.

This offense staggered even before the playoffs as Vrabel became the most conservative HC I've ever seen. They need better depth and more legit WRs; Batson should never be a starter vs playoff caliber defenses. But we're currently 1 nicked up WR from that reality.

Snap counts at WR from the playoff game...

AJ Brown     45

Davis            32

Westbrook   16

Batson          14

Raymond     10

2 hours ago, scine09 said:

Vrabel called the plays?

No but the guy who did call the plays was highly respected around the league and took a had coaching job elsewhere.

The guy who will now be calling the plays and coordinating the offense in general is a TE coach who has never done it before.

So even if you consider Reynolds an even trade for losing Davis, we still don't have Jonnu Smith or any idea how much the offense is going to be set back from losing Arthur Smith.

Like I said before, maybe the plan is to try and rush for 3,500 yards this season.

1 hour ago, abenjami said:

No but the guy who did call the plays was highly respected around the league and took a had coaching job elsewhere.

The guy who will now be calling the plays and coordinating the offense in general is a TE coach who has never done it before.

So even if you consider Reynolds an even trade for losing Davis, we still don't have Jonnu Smith or any idea how much the offense is going to be set back from losing Arthur Smith.

Like I said before, maybe the plan is to try and rush for 3,500 yards this season.

Huh?  That doesn't address anything I said in my post.  The guy said the offense struggled toward the end of the season, which was clearly not the case.  And then he tried to say that Vrabel called the plays.  Which he did not.

9 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

Those defenses we played were world beaters too, right?  

I would argue that the Titans and Texans have gotten worse from last year, while the Jags and Colts have gotten better.  

You might be the only person on the entire planet that thinks the Colts have gotten better.

Is it possible?  Sure.  But there isn't a position that they upgraded on paper.  Could Wentz be an upgrade over Rivers?  Rivers was pretty solid last year and Wentz got benched for Jalen Hurts.  He was arguably the worst QB in the league last year.  So I suppose it's possible that he goes back to 2017 Wentz but he's not exactly trending in that direction.  They lost their left tackle and haven't replaced him.  They haven't improved themselves anywhere else so far offensively.  And defensively?  They lost Houston (as of right now at least) and Autry and replaced them with a couple of rookies with no other upgrades thus far anywhere else defensively.

Jacksonville got better of course.  When you go 1-15 you are going to get better in the offseason.

Edited by scine09

8 hours ago, cenj said:

Eh, not well worded. Vrabel influenced the playcalling and is the reason we go into a scared shell and become uber predictable, running Henry over and over on 1st and 2nd down, then putting Tannehill in tough situations.

We beat up on bad defenses late (Jax, Hou, Lions) and got shut down by Green Bay and Baltimore. The Browns also stuffed our offense, but we had two garbage time TDs at the very end to make a misleading stat line. So yes, in 3 of the last 6 games our offense staggered.

Well you said going into the Baltimore game the offense was struggling.  Which was not the case.  Aside from the GB game it was explosive.  Okay, they struggled for a half against Cleveland.  And then they came out in the second half and weren't really stopped.  I understand that the Browns had backed off but bad offenses, or struggling offenses, don't operate that easily.

I don't care what defenses they faced, they scored 40 plus in two of those games, mid 30s in two of those games and in the Jacksonville game they basically stopped playing when they got to 31.  They were well on their way to 40 plus in that game as well.  Struggling offenses don't do that.

Edited by scine09