Sounds like Logan Ryan will test his FA value this offseason

AussieTitanFan08

Just franchise tag him if need be. 

I heard the interview earlier too and it came across the same way. It could be that he’s just driving a hard bargain for upcoming talks, but I bet he tests the market during the 3 day window for sure. 

Edited by tgo

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Listening to that interview today i'm not sure JRob had any chance getting Ryan to sign an extension before he had the chance to test FA.

Could very well be that they feel they have Ryan's replacement already on the roster in Hooker: https://titansized.com/2019/06/27/amani-hooker-tennessee-titans-10-million-draft-pick/

Just franchise tag him if need be.    I heard the interview earlier too and it came across the same way. It could be that he’s just driving a hard bargain for upcoming talks, but I bet he te

59 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

That means Henry is a near lock to resign.

55 minutes ago, ctm said:

What it means is that Tannehill, Conklin and maybe Henry have more leverage in contract negotiations.  If Ryan leaves, the team can't afford more holes.  There are only so many draft picks where you can find immediate starters.

Why would Henry be a lock? And why would they have more leverage? If there are plenty of good running backs in the draft and free agency then I don’t think Henry would have much leverage.

I know they don’t want massive roster turnover, but they have a good portion of the starters signed. Pretty sure we only have like 4-5 starters set to hit free agency...

46 minutes ago, gnawed said:

Why would Henry be a lock? And why would they have more leverage? If there are plenty of good running backs in the draft and free agency then I don’t think Henry would have much leverage.

I know they don’t want massive roster turnover, but they have a good portion of the starters signed. Pretty sure we only have like 4-5 starters set to hit free agency...

2020 depth chart:

QB:

RB: Lewis*

TE:  Smith, Walker*

WR: Davis, Brown, Humphries, Raymond

OL: Lewan, Stafford, Jones, Davis, Douglas, Stinnie,

DL:  Casey, Simmons, Jones, Mack

OLB: Wake, Landry, Finch, Walker

ILB, Evans, Brown, Long

CB:  Jackson, Butler

S: Byard, Vaccaro, Hooker, Cruikshank

ST:  Succop, Kern, Brinkley

*possible cut

Total: 33 (including 2 possible cuts)

Does that answer your question?

Franchise tagging him wouldn’t be bad at all. He’d probably get more than that in the first year of his new contract anyways so for a one year deal I don’t have a problem with it. The issue is he would probably demand a trade. He’s 28 and any major injury in a contract year could cost him tons of money

11 minutes ago, Thrill said:

Franchise tagging him wouldn’t be bad at all. He’d probably get more than that in the first year of his new contract anyways so for a one year deal I don’t have a problem with it. The issue is he would probably demand a trade. He’s 28 and any major injury in a contract year could cost him tons of money

Currently Xavien Howard is the highest paid CB in the NFL earning $15.05 million a season, would be very surprising if JRob franchised tagged Ryan at $16.5 million for the 2020 season.

2 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Would be a huge loss but JRob has potentially a ton of big contracts to pay this offseason. 

Judging from his interviews he’ll definitely try to get the most money he can and go wherever that is. He’s no nonsense and all about the money lol

Do you blame him??? Get that money ....

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

Didnt realize the corner tag was that high. 

The way the franchise tag numbers are trending it will only be the elite of the elite that get tagged.

Next year the WR number is up to $18.5 million as an example of how quickly the franchise tag numbers are escalating.

12 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

Could very well be that they feel they have Ryan's replacement already on the roster in Hooker: https://titansized.com/2019/06/27/amani-hooker-tennessee-titans-10-million-draft-pick/

That's why they drafted him. Even as well as Ryan has been playing, they expect him to leave in FA which kinda sucks but is what it is.

I’m not really sure about our cap situation but I imagine we can pay him and then if we need to cut costs in 2020 or 2021 he’ll still have some trade value or we can cut him for relatively low dead money. The Rams have proven the salary cap shouldn’t be that big of a hindrance (especially when you’re not paying a QB 30 million a year.)

It might be a better investment for us to let Henry and Conklin walk, draft their replacements high in the next draft, and commit to keeping this defensive core together for another year or two.

edit: once it’s time to start resign guys like Jayon, Evans, and Landry we’ll probably need to get rid of Ryan and Butler. 

Edited by Thrill

Ryan is a loss if they can't bring him back but that's the nature of success.  You can't keep everybody.  That's why drafting well is so important.  Some of these young guys are going to have to fill those holes in the roster if the Titans want to remain competitive.  You can only compensate so much with FA spending as Jrob has been forced to do.  

11 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Currently Xavien Howard is the highest paid CB in the NFL earning $15.05 million a season, would be very surprising if JRob franchised tagged Ryan at $16.5 million for the 2020 season.

How could the franchise tag be higher than the highest paid DB?

5 minutes ago, japan said:

How could the franchise tag be higher than the highest paid DB?

Exactly. Did something change? You used to have to tag a player 2 or 3 times to exceed the average of the 5 highest players at the position.