• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mariota/Lewis for Rosen/Drake.

Please be us!

After seeing Lewis catch that 3 yard pass Titans should have upped the offer

1 hour ago, nine said:

I think Drake could be a tremendous asset for the offense....but as a receiver,  he'll be just as ineffective as Lewis if he's only targeted on screen passes over and over and over.

Screen passes make sense for a big-bodied RB like Henry whose skillset doesn't lend itself to WR-type routes.   Guys like Lewis and Drake have more of a crossover skillset....they're capable of doing more than just "run over there and turn around".    But for whatever reason,  that's all Lewis is asked to do as a receiver....and if they were to bring in Drake, I suspect it would just be more of the same.

This is such an under discussed point. People complain about Henry's ability to impact the passing game but truthfully even when we have Lewis out there we rarely run anything that even backs like Henry can't do. The last time I've seen Lewis be used to his potential was last year's Miami game. Drake wouldn't move the needle here anyways. The RB as a receiver is a distant 5th option in this offense behind the receivers and tight ends. Everyone would love to have an Alvin Kamara type back that does every thing amazingly but those guys are rare and frankly more of a luxury than a necessity. I maintain that if Lewis was simply doing his job to an acceptable level we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

This is such an under discussed point. People complain about Henry's ability to impact the passing game but truthfully even when we have Lewis out there we rarely run anything that even backs like Henry can't do. The last time I've seen Lewis be used to his potential was last year's Miami game. Drake wouldn't move the needle here anyways. The RB as a receiver is a distant 5th option in this offense behind the receivers and tight ends. Everyone would love to have an Alvin Kamara type back that does every thing amazingly but those guys are rare and frankly more of a luxury than a necessity. I maintain that if Lewis was simply doing his job to an acceptable level we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

What job?  He's out there for a handful of plays, we see some half assed screens which have a very low probability of success, and then dog him.  Smith can't get his receivers into favorable situations, forget about some uninspired predictable screens for which the book has been written.

32 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Lewis isn't great at the passing game either.  Sticks his nose in there to block well for a little guy but he isn't creating separation or getting past the first tackler. 

I noticed Henry had all his 75 yards after contact and still managed to average 4.7 YPC despite having a long yard run called back for holding.  Just think what Henry could do with better blocking and better play calling.  When we got him on the edge he was getting nice gains.  Most his run were right into the strength of the defense.  

That's the frustrating thing.  Against all odds, we are busting some good chunk plays and at least finding some success.  You'd think if the offense could appear to be balanced in the least bit on early downs, we could hit those at a higher rate.  But it seems like if there is any excuse for us to run the ball-1st down, 2nd and 5, hell 2nd and long- there is very high probability that we will.  

We were in shotgun quite a bit-did we ever run from that formation?  I'd like to see how the defense matched up against us.  Smith's philosophy seems to be the caveman, "Moar blockers= good run.  Moar receivers= good pass" school of thinking.  Given the number of TE snaps and low number of WR snaps, I'd like to see if the play selection aligned so predictability with the personnel usage.  If so, someone else needs to call plays ASAP.  There are too many damn tells with this offense.

47 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Lewis isn't great at the passing game either.  Sticks his nose in there to block well for a little guy but he isn't creating separation or getting past the first tackler. 

I noticed Henry had all his 75 yards after contact and still managed to average 4.7 YPC despite having a long yard run called back for holding.  Just think what Henry could do with better blocking and better play calling.  When we got him on the edge he was getting nice gains.  Most his run were right into the strength of the defense.  

People see this and still place the primary focus on Henry's "limitations". The problem is clear. It's insane. 

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

IMO Henry should be a priority signing.  We lose him and we basically have to replace both RBs in the off season.  Re-sign him and look for a decent backup in the draft.  Think where we would be right now if Henry got injured.  Henry's run on the one yard line started to look like the Jags at first.  The number of times our OL got him stoned in the game was ridiculous and much of that was on the OC.

There just has to be a schematic way to make defenses pay for rolling safeties up to the line of scrimmage and having them just scream off the edge, unblocked right at Henry's knees. 

19 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Oh, you didn't get the memo? If you're not Alvin Kamara you ain't shit. 

Drake would have been a Dion Lewis replacement, not a Henry replacement. But Drake will be a free agent at the end of the year and JRob wouldn't have wanted to give up draft capital for a guy who'd probably only be here for 8 games. And Drake would definitely want Henry-replacement type money. Glad JRob didn't see Drake as that guy.

Having said that, if Alvin Kamara, aka Melvin Gordon or Kareem Hunt, were to become available you might see Henry get replaced. Henry is a great down hill runner, but he's not that all-around back that a lot of teams seem to be coveting these days. That's not the same thing as saying Henry "ain't shit". But if I had a choice between Henry or Gordon/Hunt? I'm taking Gordon/Hunt. They're more than simply a non-liability in the passing game. They're a threat in the passing game. They can open up the offense in ways Henry can't.