JRob quotes on Mariota in today's MMQB Column

25 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Honestly I don't love Robinson's advice. I don't love our QB thinking more conservatively. I want him to try and extend things and make things happen this year.

If he as to stay as Alex Smith to be successful it's not worth it long term.

yeah but it seems like that's not really what he is good at.  He's gonna make the big plays every now and again cause he's fast as fuk and if he gets into space he's gone but still not a sustainable plan for success.  And he takes unnecessary sacks too often.

my issue is more with us being a run first team...in that scenario I would agree that Mariota will find himself having to pick up a lot of 3rd and short yardage and you gotta lay it out there to get the first down and keep eating the clock.  He cant be conservative.

Manning could throw it away to avoid a hit but he was gonna keep on throwing it.  He wasn't looking at one down to do his thing.  He was throwing it all 3 downs for the most part...exaggeration but you get my point.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So right.   Wisdom from an Elder:  There reaches a point in life's journey that arguing slips away and one simply lets others be wrong.  I will likely be long gone before some on TR reach th

1. Yes we will get the answer. He either balls and gets extended or he’s gone.  2. The Seahawks. I mean, I get what you are trying to do in this thread, but comparing Mariota to Wilson is a

Notice that he didn't specify who.  He's obviously referring to Tannehill.

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Huston said:

Somebody's is gunning for the award of being the next cat to get put on ignore by most of the sane board.

Does your lack of a sense of humor simply surface when Mariota is involved, or is that just how you are?

18 minutes ago, Huston said:

Of course he will have to make some plays on his own and when circumstance aren't at their best we have seen him do that at times the last 4 year and that isn't the issue at hand. The Titans wr haven't gotten open and have been bottom ranked the last few years and that has nothing to do with who is throwing them the ball, my point is that actually have guys be open and where there supposed to be will have a big effect on the amount of time he has to hold the ball. How in the world is that taking emphasis off the QB needing to do his part. Do I have to specifically say in every post mentioning offensive players that it all hinges on Marcus can throw a forward pass on time lol.

The passing offense has been ranked at the bottom of the league, so naturally the receivers are.  WRs weren't "getting open" for Tim Tebow.  They must have gotten a hell of a lot better the off-season before Manning arrived.

Edited by abc2330

1 minute ago, bizzyeddie said:

yeah but it seems like that's not really what he is good at.  He's gonna make the big plays every now and again cause he's fast as fuk and if he gets into space he's gone but still not a sustainable plan for success.  And he takes unnecessary sacks too often.

my issue is more with us being a run first team...in that scenario I would agree that Mariota will find himself having to pick up a lot of 3rd and short yardage and you gotta lay it out there to get the first down and keep eating the clock.  He cant be conservative.

Manning could throw it away to avoid a hit but he was gonna keep on throwing it.  He wasn't looking at one down to do his thing.  He was throwing it all 3 downs for the most part...exaggeration but you get my point.

Yeah in a run-first offense your QB has to be make back-breaking plays or it's going to be a lot of 14-10 games. 

It's Fisherball.

You know who used to just "throw it away?" Kerry Collins. 

Just now, big2033 said:

Yeah in a run-first offense your QB has to be make back-breaking plays or it's going to be a lot of 14-10 games. 

It's Fisherball.

You know who used to just "throw it away?" Kerry Collins. 

he threw it 3 rows deep into the stands...that drunk fucker knew how to "throw it away"

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

And Russell Wilson has never had a WR drafted in the first round ... you wanna go down this road again?

If Mariota was already putting up top 10 QB numbers and play ... you'd have an argument. He's not. So you're hoping WR talent takes him from zero to 60.

Not realistic. 

Any leap you're looking for is going to have to come from him. WR talent is not going to save him.

Your premise is flawed, I never said anything about a leap or the upgrades taking him from a 0 to 60 so how about you stay on topic. My point was that better targets get open quicker.

Donald Driver.  Nobody ever heard of him until the guy in front of him got hurt.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DrivDo00.htm

DMase was returning kicks.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MasoDe00.htm

Next man up is real if the QB puts the ball on him.  All these players are the best player ever at their HS, outstanding in their state.  If Peyton Manning is throwing them the ball, they will put up numbers.  Maybe not hof, but numbers you can win with.

1 minute ago, Huston said:

Your premise is flawed, I never said anything about a leap or the upgrades taking him from a 0 to 60 so how about you stay on topic. My point was that better targets get open quicker.

You originally replied to me. Not vice versa. So stay on MY topic.

The upgrades don't mean he should play more conservatively, it won't help us long term. The QB has to make things happen regardless. Because from the level Mariota's is playing from having slightly quicker targets won't move the needle. Hence my ON TOPIC disagreement with Robinson's statement.

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Donald Driver.  Nobody ever heard of him until the guy in front of him got hurt.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DrivDo00.htm

DMase was returning kicks.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MasoDe00.htm

Next man up is real if the QB puts the ball on him.  All these players are the best player ever at their HS, outstanding in their state.  If Peyton Manning is throwing them the ball, they will put up numbers.  Maybe not hof, but numbers you can win with.

Peyton Manning was a fantasy goldmine in his prime for whatever tight end was catching his passes. It didn't matter who it was, Manning would make them elite.

1 hour ago, big2033 said:

You originally replied to me. Not vice versa. So stay on MY topic.

The upgrades don't mean he should play more conservatively, it won't help us long term. The QB has to make things happen regardless. Because from the level Mariota's is playing from having slightly quicker targets won't move the needle. Hence my ON TOPIC disagreement with Robinson's statement.

Jesus the need to be right kills any reasoning in here, Marcus gets hurt taking sacks in the pocket not out there scrambling extending plays for the most part. So what would be more beneficial to him staying healthy with that being the case.

Edited by Huston

3 minutes ago, Huston said:

Jesus the need to be right kills any reasoning in here, Marcus gets hurt tasking sacks in the pocket not out there scrambling extending plas for the most part. So what would be more beneficial to him staying healthy with that being the case.

Long term ... him doing less would not give us the QB we need.

He's already not doing enough. That's my point. 

He needs to ball out ... him staying healthy won't help if he's not doing star QB things. Ie. pushing the ball downfield and extending plays.

Edited by big2033

8 minutes ago, big2033 said:

The only consistently annoyed and confused one seems to be you.

This board was all in agreement that the Wr core was bad and in desperate need of an upgrade all a round was it not, now its back on QB's make the wr kick again with no exceptions lol.

Just now, big2033 said:

Long term ... him doing less would not give us the QB we need.

He's already not doing enough. That's my point. 

Like I said your premise is wrong your assuming Vrabel is saying dont take any chances at all he is just saying be more smart and throw it away earlier, you have to use common sense.

1 minute ago, Huston said:

This board was all in agreement that the Wr core was bad and in desperate need of an upgrade all a round was it not, now its back on QB's make the wr kick again with no exceptions lol.

Just because our WRs need an upgrade doesn't mean the QB is the most important element to a great passing attack.

Both the Patriots and Seahawks worked hard to upgrade their passing attacks despite having efficient and elite ones.