Jon Gruden banishes scouts before draft

SleepingTitan

TBH I think the criticisms of Gruden are way overblown. They got a king's ransom for MAck - it was rated the #1 trade in all of SPORTS last year, not just football.  Of course you still have to hit on the draft picks. They traded Cooper which I thought was headscratching at the time, but Cooper wasn't an all-world receiver. And then they went and got Antonio Brown, who is all world, so that was an upgrade.

You look at all that in context and it looks pretty smart. Not ready to crown him or anything, but it seems like folks just ready to pounce on Gruden and pronounce him a fuck up with every story. Looking into the details of this one, this seems like a non-story/blown way out of proportion, too.

Proof is in the pudding and the guy is going to have to produce, but I don't really get all the talk that Gruden is/has somehow already blown it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who needs scouts when the only thing to look for in a prospect is if they know Spider-2Y-Banana?

"They didn't know who to trust so they cleared the room." I knew he would find a way to Gruden up 3 1st rounders....   https://nypost.com/2019/04/19/jon-gruden-banishes-raiders-scouts-days-b

No one really.  It's hilarious that they chose to pay big money to WR's this offseason instead of giving it to Mack last year.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

TBH I think the criticisms of Gruden are way overblown. They got a king's ransom for MAck - it was rated the #1 trade in all of SPORTS last year, not just football.  Of course you still have to hit on the draft picks. They traded Cooper which I thought was headscratching at the time, but Cooper wasn't an all-world receiver. And then they went and got Antonio Brown, who is all world, so that was an upgrade.

You look at all that in context and it looks pretty smart. Not ready to crown him or anything, but it seems like folks just ready to pounce on Gruden and pronounce him a fuck up with every story. Looking into the details of this one, this seems like a non-story/blown way out of proportion, too.

Proof is in the pudding and the guy is going to have to produce, but I don't really get all the talk that Gruden is/has somehow already blown it.

Not gonna lie I relate to that feeling of expecting him to fail so badly that I assume all the moves are stupid but as you said, when you look at the big picture his moves make sense. I've had to pump the breaks on the Gruden hate and with all the picks they have I wouldn't be surprised if they have a pretty good draft. I could see him even trading Carr and using the resources to move around in the draft. 

7 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

They got a king's ransom for MAck - it was rated the #1 trade in all of SPORTS last year, not just football.  Of course you still have to hit on the draft picks.

The Bears stole Mack, they'd do that again in a heart beat 

Like I said before, the thing that kills me: they marched in there and started cleaning house. Trading players, firing scouts. 

I understand sending them home bc they're "not your guys" or bc you're gonna fire them, but why fire them? These scouts found some solid players. They found some of the top players that the Raiders have seen in 20 yrs. 

Now you send em packing? It's kinda cray to me. 

On 4/22/2019 at 8:30 AM, Legaltitan said:

Clelin Ferrell

On 4/22/2019 at 10:30 AM, Legaltitan said:

They traded Cooper which I thought was headscratching at the time, but Cooper wasn't an all-world receiver. And then they went and got Antonio Brown, who is all world, so that was an upgrade.

Just as Cooper's number went up in Dallas, Brown's will probably go down as a Raider - the Raiders' QB is the problem, not receivers. 

Edited by 9 Nines

14 hours ago, Huston said:

Ferrel was just over drafted but he is a very good defensive end.

He'll take a few years to adjust just like Morgan. Maybe end up being good but not great. Certainly not worthy of that draft position. (neither was Morgan)

On 4/27/2019 at 6:07 PM, headhunter said:

I hate the Lions draft. Hockenson is good but im never a fan of taking a TE in the top ten over Dlineman. Just dumb. 

Not with Oliver and to a lesser extent Gary available. Quinn blew this draft imho, reached majorly for the Hawaiian LB in 2, he was like a 4th round guy on most boards. 4th year in as GM and 2nd with his hand picked coach; better see some improvement and I'm not optimistic. They've had Stafford since he was 20 and ten years later still haven't put much of a team around him.