Pro Football Focus Ranking of the 32 teams

scine09

I'll go ahead and make the same banal statement I did last year. I won't be surprised if he struggles more than people on the board seem to be predicting.

He was still far from a finished product last year and the injury probably did set him back. This is actually going against what I said a while back but I put more thought into it now.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when our biggest perceived problem on offense is the #2 TE we are in good shape IMO!  What a difference a year makes

This is why we need Austin Johnson to break out this year. I think he's primed to do it, too. If he does, our defense really elevates, IMO. 

When LeShaun Sims took over for Perrish Cox, the pass defense showed improvement. I'll say it: I think we have something in Sims and cannot wait to see him paired with more talent in Ryan and Jackson.

The Titans are pretty hard to gauge right now. I absolutely have to see them in camp and preseason before I make a real assessment.

I think have the potential to be a SB contender but they need a lot of unknowns to fall the right way.

Mariota has be be consistently good, Davis has to be a real threat, Jackson and Simms both have to be solid at CB, Brown has to contribute in the nickel at LB.... odds are some of this won't go well early or at all this season. If they do go well then look out.

1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

I'll go ahead and make the same banal statement I did last year. I won't be surprised if he struggles more than people on the board seem to be predicting.

I want to see him in preseason. He struggled in preseason last year and it carried into the regular season.

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

They have 2 backup OL, Kelly and Lelito, who have experience as a 6th OL. I'd rather see them in the lineup than Supernaw, frankly. 

This to. Supernaw is a bad blocker whose zero threat as a receiver. It's not like replacing him with an OL will change how the D approaches that set at all.

But I actually think Leliti could be a darkhorse at the RG spot. He's a very good run blocker.

2 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

He was still far from a finished product last year and the injury probably did set him back. 

duh, breh.  He's probably gonna suck ass the first half of the season.  He had major surgery.  

4 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

He was still far from a finished product last year and the injury probably did set him back. This is actually going against what I said a while back but I put more thought into it now.

He's in his 3rd year now, you really don't want him "struggling", aside from the occasional bad game that every QB is going to have. I also can't see the injury being a problem, he's basically fine now.

If he opens up the season with a bad 4 game stretch, which I don't think he will, it will be alarming.

3 hours ago, Titans279 said:

I think we forget that Mariota had some absolute stinkers last year. It drags down his PFF rating.

Take the Detroit game, which he finished with a 102 passer rating, he was bad for almost all of that game but the very end. I doubt his PFF rating was high for that despite his passer rating being high.

He was crap in the next next two games vs Houston and Oakland. He also struggled the first game vs. the Vikings.

OMAN was calling him no more than a spread QB again at this point.

He was then solid statistically for the next 8 games (though I seem to recall that even in those games he had periods of struggle), but sucked again in the last 3.

So if you're generous and give him good ratings for those 8 middle games that's 8 good vs. 7 bad. 

He was the #1 ranked fantasy football player for those 8 weeks. Read that the other day. I don't think that would be being generous, I think that would be telling it like it was

4 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

The way his year ended against legit defenses is also really concerning.

I would agree with this if it weren't for the fact they kept throwing Murray in there when he was less than 80 percent, Walker was banged up, and Mathews was our only legit receiving threat. Our receivers were mauled like two dollar hookers against KC, Den, and Jax

There are legit concerns with his pocket movement being shaky at times, and he does show a pattern of throwing high when there's traffic at his feet because he throws off balance a lot with only his arm, but I can't really hold those last three games against him. The offense was shot at that point, and our castoff WR crew left him with such little margin for error it isn't surprising he was terrible; he had nowhere to throw and no high point athletes to chuck fifty fifty balls.

Yeah, our WRs were no match for KC and Denver. They relied totally on the run during those games because they know they couldn't throw. I don't think it reflected a lack of trust in Mariota so much as a lack of trust in the receiving corps.

Hopefully the massive upgrades at WR this year will change that.

13 hours ago, Titans279 said:

I think we forget that Mariota had some absolute stinkers last year. It drags down his PFF rating.

Take the Detroit game, which he finished with a 102 passer rating, he was bad for almost all of that game but the very end. I doubt his PFF rating was high for that despite his passer rating being high.

He was crap in the next next two games vs Houston and Oakland. He also struggled the first game vs. the Vikings.

OMAN was calling him no more than a spread QB again at this point.

He was then solid statistically for the next 8 games (though I seem to recall that even in those games he had periods of struggle), but sucked again in the last 3.

So if you're generous and give him good ratings for those 8 middle games that's 8 good vs. 7 bad. 

Yep

Oman was way off on this one. 

Edited by japan

Honestly the only game he was REALLY bad in was the 2nd Jacksonville game.  That was easily the worst game he had a pro, ratings be damned.  Against KC he certainly wasn't good all game but he was great when it counted.  And against Denver I felt like he just wasn't given a chance to do anything.  The numbers stunk but if you watched that game he wasn't the liability that the numbers would suggest.

As far as weeks 3 and 4, those were his 2nd and 3rd worst games of the year.  He was inaccurate and just off.  Against Oakland, though, he had that one real good drive at the end that should have resulted in a game tying TD.  I also remember him making some big throws against the Texans.  Both those games certainly weren't good but neither was close to as bad as Jacksonville.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Mariota sucked early in the season and did look like a spread QB

Ridiculous.  

It's ok to admit that you were wrong.  As soon as Mariota was declared a spread QB who can't throw deep, he explodes and becomes a deep ball passer.  You were way wrong.

Edited by japan

1 hour ago, scine09 said:

Honestly the only game he was REALLY bad in was the 2nd Jacksonville game.  That was easily the worst game he had a pro, ratings be damned.  Against KC he certainly wasn't good all game but he was great when it counted.  And against Denver I felt like he just wasn't given a chance to do anything.  The numbers stunk but if you watched that game he wasn't the liability that the numbers would suggest.

As far as weeks 3 and 4, those were his 2nd and 3rd worst games of the year.  He was inaccurate and just off.  Against Oakland, though, he had that one real good drive at the end that should have resulted in a game tying TD.  I also remember him making some big throws against the Texans.  Both those games certainly weren't good but neither was close to as bad as Jacksonville.

He was, but he was also throwing to Andre Johnson as the #1 option.  He was double-clutching his throws because he didn't trust AJ to be in the right spots.  As soon as AJ was demoted and Matthews promoted, he took off.