The Kelly Offense & the Titans Offseason Moves

BudsOilers

Bottom line is they lack pass catching talent like you would expect on a good offense.  

Our presumable top 3 starting WRs right now - (2022 stats)

Burks - 33 catches for 444 yards and 1 TD

NWI - 25 Catches for 397 yards and 3 TDs

Moore - 48 Catches for 548 yards and 2 TDs

Wild Cards - 

Kyle Phillips - 8 catches, 78 Yards and 0 TDs

Chig Okonkwo - 32 Catches for 450 Yards and 3 TDs

Go ahead and add Derrick Henry in there for another 398 yards on 33 catches and 0 TDs.

Unless you are looking forward to <3000 yard passing offense with <20 TDs you should be concerned with the current state of skill players that Tannehill has to work with. 

Now maybe several guys take a leap.  Maybe NWI was hurt last year and he's better than we thought.  Maybe Colton Dowell is a hidden gem.  Maybe the pass protection helps these guys look better than they are.  Lots of ifs but on paper, fans have every right to be concerned and that's really the point.  Not who could start on what roster blah blah who cares.  

Edited by Justafan

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big uproar by media & fans has been the lack of adds at WR.  Some of that purely was the market in FA and the Draft but they clearly prioritized fixing the OL over this.  That said, I also thi

The last couple of offseasons since the Ravens playoff loss we have hoped to see a change but nothing did, so until I actually see it happen I'm going to be skeptical.

Vrabel wasn't the HC in Houston.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

That is the theme for this offense entering the 2023 season there is zero track record of any player having sustained above average receiving production, also zero track record of any OL playing at a high level over a sustained period (3+ years).

And an apparently new offense. Which means our RB might not work because everyone thinks he needs something specific. And our hopes of Tanny returning to 2019/2020 in a different offense are even less likely.

4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I've asked this question before and no one ever answers; who are the QBs that are consistently producing at an elite level with absolute shit around them? Those guys don't exist. Every good QB has good weapons.

Take a look at the top pass protecting teams.  Typically those teams have the top offenses.

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I've asked this question before and no one ever answers; who are the QBs that are consistently producing at an elite level with absolute shit around them? Those guys don't exist. Every good QB has good weapons.

Chicken and the egg. Good QBs hide plenty of flaws and you might not recognize "absolute shit around them."

13 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Chicken and the egg. Good QBs hide plenty of flaws and you might not recognize "absolute shit around them."

I would say great to Elite can hide those flaws around them. They are the exception to the rule. Good QBs still need at least a solid supporting cast imo.

26 minutes ago, titans79 said:

I would say great to Elite can hide those flaws around them. They are the exception to the rule. Good QBs still need at least a solid supporting cast imo.

Sure. It's a spectrum, as ever, but I think we're talking extremes in terms of guys who truly cover it all. A "just good" QB will end up suffering plenty.

Anyway, show me a QB producing despite absolute shit surrounding them and I'll show you surrounding players that must needs receive that production and so never get considered absolute shit.

Players seem to be emphasizing that there’s a lot to learn with the new system and that the tempo is a different animal - requiring additional conditioning. 

They’re also using increased offseason conditioning as one of the means to prevent soft tissue injuries later on - foregoing Vrabel’s typical rest and recovery focused approach. 

24 minutes ago, tgo said:

Players seem to be emphasizing that there’s a lot to learn with the new system and that the tempo is a different animal - requiring additional conditioning. 

They’re also using increased offseason conditioning as one of the means to prevent soft tissue injuries later on - foregoing Vrabel’s typical rest and recovery focused approach. 

Good. The resting bullshit needs to stop. The offseason is as easy and soft as ever. 

1 hour ago, Jamalisms said:

They can hide some things. They can't hide a complete mess. Everything has a breaking point. Who are the QBs consistently producing at an elite level with bad O-lines AND bad receiving corps? Since this is the standard it should be easy to name these guys. 

5 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

They can hide some things. They can't hide a complete mess. Everything has a breaking point. Who are the QBs consistently producing at an elite level with bad O-lines AND bad receiving corps? Since this is the standard it should be easy to name these guys. 

40 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Anyway, show me a QB producing despite absolute shit surrounding them and I'll show you surrounding players that must needs receive that production and so never get considered absolute shit.

And I certainly didn't say it was "standard" anyway. I'm saying that if your situation exists in theory, it won't actually look like that situation and people won't agree it's that situation. It's generally an impossible request because it's a chicken or the egg situation.

4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

The argument is started and ended with Brady. He's the greatest QB to play the game. His passer rating jumped 16 points going from NE to Tampa and he went from 26 TDs to 40 when pretty much everyone wrote him off. 

All I'll say is go look up great QBs and you'll see they magically have consistent olines. I doubt it's just due to smart GMs.

Not to say our oline wasn't bad, but QB pressure and sacks falls WAY too hard on the oline when the QB is partly the cause.

People use to shit on Seattle's oline under Russel Wilson for years, when in truth it's Wilson's style that causes a lot of these sacks. We saw it take shape in Denver. 

So, the best thing you can do is look at a QB's body of work (sack % etc.) and see if there's a pattern there before you start pointing fingers.

There's too many variables in this sport, so all you have left is a player's career play and average. If not, you just end up looking for your own biases. 

Edited by big2033