Week 17: Titans @ Texans Game Thread

Jonboy

Re-watching the game and Henry's speed off the first cut is out of this world phenomenal; he'll never do those reverse your field  highlight moves but let him plant that foot and  you're fucked. The Titans scheming with condensing formations and putting 2 blocking TEs at the point of attack pre-snap are grossly under appreciated. The defense, minus a phenomenal individual play, can't stop it. Pruitt may be the least appreciated of them all.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That kick to win the AFC South perfectly sums up our season thus far.

It’s actually hilarious to see the Davis hate in here. He’s been far more sure handed than AJ this season.    Dude is having a rough game. Nothing more. 

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

You used to always complain about run heavy/first offenses, even when the team won 

I’ve complained about it even this year.  I’m not crazy about it.  But they score 40 plus points seemingly every other game.

56 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

In the playoffs they better get aggressive and stay aggressive  

There's a certain level of inherent risk with every approach.

With that being said.....I don't recall ever seeing a winning coach or team whose success was primarily attributed to a highly conservative, risk-averse approach.

18 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Vrabel's conservative nature very nearly lost this game. 

I was actually very encouraged in the first half with the Titans defensively. They were sending guys at Watson and playing man coverage and being very aggressive. 

In the first half the Titans defense only allowed 9 points, 3 of 9 on 3rd down and kept the Texans 0-3 in the redzone. 

Once the Titans got up 16 points(?) they started playing soft zones and sending only 4 and sometimes only 3 and the wheels came completely off. This defense totally sucks playing zone. 

And they also gave up way more explosive plays not blitzing and playing more zones so the idea is they are trying to limit big plays it's failing. 

In the playoffs they better get aggressive and stay aggressive  

That's the maddening thing.  He should not be doing this especially in the 3rd quarter. I don't know how to explain this but it's like he makes it harder on this team to win.  Instead of a blowout or a comfortable 10+ point win, where you can maybe rest some guys, you have this nail biter.  This doesn't matter/you can get away with it on a four win team but in the playoffs you can't just go into a shell especially with this defense.

They know the formula to success on defense but they always revert back to the prevent to win zone, and that's all on Vrabel as well as taking the air out of the ball and limiting Tannehill's pass attempts on offense.

Against a great qb (Mahomes) or a good qb, this will fucking burn you.  We saw it last year in the AFC Championship game.  You would have thought that he would have learned something from Belicheck all those years in NE.

I'd love to hear a veteran football coach explain why so many teams will call off the dogs after jumping ahead by 2-3 scores and give the other team a chance to get back in the game.

On offense, I can understand switching to a more run-oriented gameplan to burn time off the clock.  I get that.

But if it's the second half and your defense has only allowed 7-10 points......why in the hell would you change a gameplan that's working so well?    

8 hours ago, nine said:

I'd love to hear a veteran football coach explain why so many teams will call off the dogs after jumping ahead by 2-3 scores and give the other team a chance to get back in the game.

On offense, I can understand switching to a more run-oriented gameplan to burn time off the clock.  I get that.

But if it's the second half and your defense has only allowed 7-10 points......why in the hell would you change a gameplan that's working so well?    

I honestly think these coaches are deathly afraid of potential turnovers that let the other team back in the game. This makes sense until you realize that having impotent offensive drives also lets the other team back in the game and just gives them the ball with worse field position, which doesn't really matter when your defense is as bad as ours.