Vrabel 4D Chess

tgo

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol at Warren Sharp dragging Gannon hahaha.

You would have to think that he'd be the coach of the year if the season ended today. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, chef said:

Isn't this really just a mild variation on Buddy Ryan's Polish goal line defense?

I want to think of it as such since it's a Tip of the Hat to the old Oilers days.

I’ve never heard of this. Was it gifting teams a TD so you could get the ball back? 

4 hours ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Mularkey was a moron. Kept doing the same shit every week. Vrabel preached the opposite of what Mularkey was. I was sold immediately.

Run it till it pops muthafucka!!!

Edited by Jeff.Fisher

3 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

If Vrabel was really trying to sell it, it shouldn't have been Kalu he sent on. Kalu was a dead giveaway, he barely plays any defensive snaps

Genius by Vrabel

Kalu was probably the closest body. Probably shadowing Vrabel for some playing time. Damn suckass

Also, its funny as shit that vrabel does the burn the clock penalties on the playoffs, so the committee changed the rule, but no one thought about other ways to fuck the clock. Vrabel probably has a notebook on loopholes, with a forward written by bb of course.

Edited by Jeff.Fisher

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

I’ve never heard of this. Was it gifting teams a TD so you could get the ball back? 

I'll look it up in a few.  

Basically when in an near to goal situation on D, Ryan would send out 3 extra players (usually LBs) so that A) ya hope you can stop 11 with 14 and if so no TD no matter penalty or not, or B) the way the clock worked then IIRC more time would run off the clock so the other team's O would have less time to score.

@OILERMANor many of the solid Oiler fans from back then might shed more light on it too

16 minutes ago, chef said:

I'll look it up in a few.  

Basically when in an near to goal situation on D, Ryan would send out 3 extra players (usually LBs) so that A) ya hope you can stop 11 with 14 and if so no TD no matter penalty or not, or B) the way the clock worked then IIRC more time would run off the clock so the other team's O would have less time to score.

@OILERMANor many of the solid Oiler fans from back then might shed more light on it too

Ah, so the clock would keep running? Basically what Vrabel did sounds like the inverse. That’s really interesting actually. 

5 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Ah, so the clock would keep running? Basically what Vrabel did sounds like the inverse. That’s really interesting actually. 

Really just the theme of willingly sticking an extra player on the field for advantage.

11 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Right, but the reason they were doing it was to keep the clock running? I thought that’s what you were saying. If not I’m not getting it. 

I think for Ryan it was indeed that the clock would run after the penalty, taking away time for the offense to score.

http://smartfootball.com/defense/buddy-ryans-polish-goalline-tactic#sthash.TZPXYLyn.dpbs

@IsntLifeFunny

I love the last line:

Was Ryan sheepish about employing such a questionable tactic? Hardly. When Al Meltzer asked during the taping of Ryan’s weekly television show about the propriety of having 14 men on the field, the coach did note a flaw in the strategy. “There should have been 15,” he snapped.

1 minute ago, chef said:

I think for Ryan it was indeed that the clock would run after the penalty, taking away time for the offense to score.

Which was genius when you think about it. 2nd and 1? Welp I’m putting out 13 guys who are going to kill your offense when you were going to get that first down anyways. Clock runs and big plays are limited. 

With the rules now Vrabel’s move is the inverse yet in the same spirit. 

That’s pretty cool history I’ve never heard about.