Virus in US

pat

7 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

My girl got an email last night. The Tennessee Health Department is going with the politicians and is putting in place an order that vaccinated people will be last on the line for Monoclonal Steroids. If a person is just as sick as another and the choice is the vaccinated or unvaccinated the hospital is being told by the TN Health Department to choose the unvaccinated…absolutely insane. This was also backed by an NPR portion I listed to last week. This is crazy.  

You need to move out of state. 

My completely healthy wife gets her booster next week. 

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the damndest thing....  Trump supporters making fun of Biden's mental status.    Seriously.  

MERS killed 866 people worldwide. Again, basic math.   Btw, in an entire year, the flu kills 3,500 - 15,500 in the US. They suspect some cases aren't identified and so they estimate up to 61

Posted Images

On 9/24/2021 at 12:50 PM, Titans279 said:

When I looked into long haul stuff I was amazed to find that actually a huge number of people who get sick with the flu have basically long haul flu. It's just something that happens with viruses. I'm not sure I buy the anecdotes in the media about how widespread and horrible it is. The media lives to sensationalize. I think if it was actually effecting 40 million people then it would be more visible.

IMO, the lack of media coverage is because at this point, "long covid" is little more than anecdotal evidence.   Everyone knows about it, and doctors acknowledge that it's an extremely common phenomena....but at this point, the medical science community is primarily focused on prevention and the development of lifesaving treatments;   those who have already recovered from infection are largely forgotten.    

At this point,  we have yet to see a reliable system for gathering data, reporting statistics, or tracking patients who have experienced long-term symptoms.    We know for a fact they're out there.....we just don't have any sort of information or details whatsoever.    And with no statistics, hard data, or case histories to support it....there's just not that much information available for the media to report.

My mom had covid back in December/January.   Nine months later, she still has bouts of severe brain fog and days where she can barely get out of bed due to the fatigue.     

One of my coworkers' mother had it earlier this year.  Several months later, she still needs supplemental oxygen 3-4 times a week due to lung damage caused by the infection.      

Another coworker had covid back in December/January.    In June, he told me his sense of taste and smell were still all screwed up...I'll have to ask him if it's gotten any better since then.

These are very real issues that are directly impacting people's lives.   Their doctors are well aware of their issues....but there's no way to report them and nobody is tracking them, so they're not reflected in any sort of statistics.   And like I said earlier:  since there's no hard  data about it....there's really nothing for the media to report.

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

This is well into the Drink-The-Kool-Aid phase of the Trump-GOP cult.  In the long run there still will be conservatives, but this current generation is dropping like flies.

It's not just covid either.  My grandfather fell into this trap and stopped managing his diabetes.

1 hour ago, pat said:

This is well into the Drink-The-Kool-Aid phase of the Trump-GOP cult.  In the long run there still will be conservatives, but this current generation is dropping like flies.

It's not just covid either.  My grandfather fell into this trap and stopped managing his diabetes.

Sigh. 

For whatever this is worth:

Like most other areas,  the Hamilton County/Chattanooga area saw an explosion in the number of new cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in the past 6-8 weeks.   From mid-July to mid-September, the week-over-week numbers increased by roughly 1000%. 

The death toll is still at its peak of 30-40 people per week for the county …but just in the past few days, it appears new cases and hospitalizations might have started  declining.   If so, then perhaps the death rate will soon start tapering off as well.   Fingers crossed.     

18 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Related chart here

Will it impact elections? that's the real question. Maybe not in the House with all the gerrymandered districts the but the Senate and in States like WI and PA that are usually decided by 50K or less votes, It could be an issue.

According to new polling, the only real difference between the vaccinated and unvaccinated at this point is political affiliation. You can throw in the rural or evangelical demographics, but that’s all basically the Republican majority.

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/poll-finding/kff-covid-19-vaccine-monitor-september-2021/

Democrats are 90% vaccinated (at least 1 shot) while Republicans are at just 58%.