Bills Recap Thread

Jonboy

6 minutes ago, Justafan said:

But the reason they have to play that way is the O-line isn't doing a great job of protecting and Mariota can't drop back and read the field.  Period.  

I honestly don't think it's a problem of reading the field, more of a mental block. You can clearly see him scanning the field. The problem is he's so afraid of making a mistake he hardly throws unless the WR is completely open.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea that's how I took it too.....   He sounds like a fucking cry baby bitch with that line. He's making millions 

Depends on the family. Some families actually miss their husbands/fathers when they're away. Just because yours tosses a party every time you so much as go outside to check the mail that you forgot to

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

So your saying guys like John Skelton, Brandon Weeden, TJ Yates, Tom Savage, etc. etc. Are that much better than Mariota that they gave them those targets or the coaches trusted those QBs more?

The fact is if the play makers want more opportunities they need to make the most of the ones they do get. NFL receivers are making the same difficult catches around the league. They deal with high balls, low balls, off target passes. They go and make the play. Just like being bitching about QBs around the league making similar type plays. We have a flawed offensive philosophy, that extrapolates the mistakes of ALL players.

Again I know you'll assume this is a Mariota support post and it's not. I'm just not blind to the flaws of the offense. I can't wait for the day for Tannehill to start, so some people can wake up. However, they will just say Tannehill just suck worst than Mariota when we have the same results. If we are relying on a rookie QB next year, we can't expect him to carry this team. The playmakers are going to have to bail him out.

I'm saying that at this point, the drop off from Mariota to a guy like Skelton or Savage isn't nearly as big as many would like to assume.  Is he better than those guys?  Yes, but he's also in an offense that protects him far more and surrounded by much better talent on both sides of the ball. 

Is it possible that Vrabel is just a defensive minded coach and just wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense supplemented by good defense?  Of course, but Robiskie, ML, and AS, have all played Mariota essentially the exact same way, even in pretty different systems.  Why is that.  

He can't do it.  That's why.  

2 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

I honestly don't think it's a problem of reading the field, more of a mental block. You can clearly see him scanning the field. The problem is he's so afraid of making a mistake he hardly throws unless the WR is completely open.

He's missing guys wide open right in front of him.  Cossell and several others have talked about this.  That's completely inexcusable for a 5th year QB in the NFL.  I think there is some sort of mental block, PK has alluded to it.  He still can't process and read the field quick enough in traditional drop back sets.  He's much better on PA passes that have a specific place he has to look to deliver the ball.  Huh, I wonder why that is.  

10 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I'm saying that at this point, the drop off from Mariota to a guy like Skelton or Savage isn't nearly as big as many would like to assume.  Is he better than those guys?  Yes, but he's also in an offense that protects him far more and surrounded by much better talent on both sides of the ball. 

Is it possible that Vrabel is just a defensive minded coach and just wants 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense supplemented by good defense?  Of course, but Robiskie, ML, and AS, have all played Mariota essentially the exact same way, even in pretty different systems.  Why is that.  

He can't do it.  That's why.  

We've seen he can make the throws. He threw with anticipation during the falcons game, and made some of the tighter coverage throws also. He hit the nice sideline throw to Sharpe against the bills. Problem is he's not consistently doing this. Wither he has PTSD from his Whiz dayswith Jeremiah poutasi, afraid of getting hurt, afraid of throwing an int, or what. Bottom line is we know the QB isn't performing at the level he should be, it still doesn't justify the playmakers when given the opportunity to not perform.

Edited by Tomachek

2 minutes ago, Tomachek said:

We've seen he can make the throws. He threw with anticipation during the falcons game, and made some of the tighter coverage throws also. He hit the nice sideline throw to Sharpe against the bills. Problem is he's not consistently doing this. Wither he has PTSD from his Whiz dayswith Jeremiah poutasi, afraid of getting hurt, afraid of throwing an into, or what. Bottom line is we know the QB isn't performing at the level he should be, it still doesn't justify the playmakers when given the opportunity to not perform.

You're not hearing me.  Accuracy isn't his issue.  It never has been.  He's even pretty good when he knows where he's going with the ball presnap.

The problem is when the defense makes him make decisions after the ball is snapped.  He has trouble finding a guy open if the first read isn't there.  Every now and then he can find another guy open but his accuracy drops considerably in those situations and if there is any pressure at all he immediately stops scanning the field.  It becomes either a run or a sack.  You never see the guy buy time and then deliver a ball on the run.  Why not?

You can't expect the WR's to play well with only 4 targets a game.  That's completely unrealistic.  You're telling every single person on the team they have to play perfect in order to make up for the lack of quality play from one position.  No team plays perfect for 60 snaps a game.  Mistakes on this team are magnified because the QB throws 15 fucking times a game and 6 of them are sacks.  

4 minutes ago, Justafan said:

You're not hearing me.  Accuracy isn't his issue.  It never has been.  He's even pretty good when he knows where he's going with the ball presnap.

The problem is when the defense makes him make decisions after the ball is snapped.  He has trouble finding a guy open if the first read isn't there.  Every now and then he can find another guy open but his accuracy drops considerably in those situations and if there is any pressure at all he immediately stops scanning the field.  It becomes either a run or a sack.  You never see the guy buy time and then deliver a ball on the run.  Why not?

You can't expect the WR's to play well with only 4 targets a game.  That's completely unrealistic.  You're telling every single person on the team they have to play perfect in order to make up for the lack of quality play from one position.  No team plays perfect for 60 snaps a game.  Mistakes on this team are magnified because the QB throws 15 fucking times a game and 6 of them are sacks.  

We know Mariota's flaws, no one is arguing that. We all know he's gone this year. So yes I expect the other players to perform when given the opportunities, when our QB play is sub-par. 

2 minutes ago, C_Train said:

I’m dumbfounded that people are actually using the old “it’s the OC!” line again.  Seriously?  Every OC Has put him in a conservative offense.  Every.  Single.  One.  Why?  There’s a common denominator here, and it’s not “bad luck”.  Ive been a Marcus fan.  Then I saw YET ANOTHER oc put him in this type of offense, and it clicked for me.  

He’ll be up and down all year like he’s been the last two and we’ll finish somewhere between 5-8 wins.  I expect he’ll play well tomorrow and all the village idiots will point and say “See!  He’s just fine! The line played better! The WR played better!” But we know how this story goes the remainder of the season.  

Preach

2 hours ago, C_Train said:

I’m dumbfounded that people are actually using the old “it’s the OC!” line again.  Seriously?  Every OC Has put him in a conservative offense.  Every.  Single.  One.  Why?  There’s a common denominator here, and it’s not “bad luck”.  Ive been a Marcus fan.  Then I saw YET ANOTHER oc put him in this type of offense, and it clicked for me.  

He’ll be up and down all year like he’s been the last two and we’ll finish somewhere between 5-8 wins.  I expect he’ll play well tomorrow and all the village idiots will point and say “See!  He’s just fine! The line played better! The WR played better!” But we know how this story goes the remainder of the season.  

Especially after an offseason of everyone agreeing "no excuses" this year. It's annoying but not entirely unpredictable that people started the excuses at the first sign of struggle.

3 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Especially after an offseason of everyone agreeing "no excuses" this year. It's annoying but not entirely unpredictable that people started the excuses at the first sign of struggle.

At this point it seems to me they’re just trolling from the opposite perspective of the “haters”.  I can’t fathom how anyone with any amount of football knowledge is watching these games and thinking “geez, this poor QB just can’t catch a break with these scrubs around him and the OC holding him back”

• Jonboy unpinned this topic