Bills Recap Thread

Jonboy

1 hour ago, Tomachek said:

I clearly remember 4 drops from the Bills.  Corey Davis, which was a touch catch.  But that's the type of throw everyone is bitching Mariota to make, and it did hit Davis in the hands.  I won't blame Davis because it was a difficult catch.  I do blame 3 drops on our WR's though Walker, Lewis, and Humphries all dropped easy 3rd down passes against the bills to move the chains.  The WR's don't get many chances but they need to do their jobs when they get their chance plane and simple.

No one is excusing the WR play.  Having said that, AJ Brown is the leading receiver on the team and ranked #51 in the league for passing yards.  Corey Davis is 71 and Humphries is 98.

Anyone here believe that Humphries is the 98th best WR in the league?  Or does the passing game suck?  

If the honest answer is that the passing game sucks and the WRs aren't as bad as their stats indicate (Which is so obviously true for anyone watching the games), then there are only so many possible reasons for that.

#1 on that list is QB play so lets start with the obvious.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yea that's how I took it too.....   He sounds like a fucking cry baby bitch with that line. He's making millions 

Depends on the family. Some families actually miss their husbands/fathers when they're away. Just because yours tosses a party every time you so much as go outside to check the mail that you forgot to

Posted Images

People want to bitch about the QB play, and compare it to other QB's in the NFL.  Do the same for all positions, and hold those positions just as accountable.  When given the opportunity they should capitalize on it.  I'm fully aware of Mariota flaws, and expect a new QB next off-season.  If we are relying on a rookie next year, we are going to need these positions to step up. Guys like Hopkins and Fitzgerald have been balling out for years with shit QB play before they had guys like Warner/Palmer/Watson just as an example. Shit look what Josh Gordon did back in 13 while high as a kite with Weeden/Jason Campbell at Quarterback.

Edited by Tomachek

All WRs drop passes. This is such a stupid argument. The real issue is that Mary won't throw the ball to the WRs. Davis and Brown are averaging 4 targets a game which puts them in the low 60s for targets. Smith could be a difference maker, has been taking snaps from Walker, only has 7 targets through 5 games. 

Its the QB plain and simple. 

4 hours ago, Tomachek said:

People want to bitch about the QB play, and compare it to other QB's in the NFL.  Do the same for all positions, and hold those positions just as accountable.  When given the opportunity they should capitalize on it.  I'm fully aware of Mariota flaws, and expect a new QB next off-season.  If we are relying on a rookie next year, we are going to need these positions to step up. Guys like Hopkins and Fitzgerald have been balling out for years with shit QB play before they had guys like Warner/Palmer/Watson just as an example. Shit look what Josh Gordon did back in 13 while high as a kite with Weeden/Jason Campbell at Quarterback.

Fitzgerald averages 150 targets a year.  More than double what CD and AJB are on target to get.  Hopkins has gotten 7-13 targets every game this year and also gets 2-3 times as many opportunities as our WRs.  Josh Gordon got 160 targets in '13.

Please feel free to show me the WR who is balling out on 4 targets a game.  If you can't find any (hint: you can't) then this is a retarded argument.  

4 hours ago, Tomachek said:

People want to bitch about the QB play, and compare it to other QB's in the NFL.  Do the same for all positions, and hold those positions just as accountable.  

QB is way more important than the other positions 

5 hours ago, Tomachek said:

I have no problem holding people accountable but honestly even if all those guys caught all their balls we still lose that game. It's much harder to come down on receivers for failing to compete contested catches (which don't actually get counted as drops) than it is to hold your QB accountable for not elevating your team. 

Edited by Mythos27

1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I have no problem holding people accountable but honestly even if all those guys caught all their balls we still lose that game. It's much harder to come down on receivers for failing to compete contested catches (which don't actually get counted as drops) than it is to hold your QB accountable for not elevating your team. 

That's not true at all.  There were 3 3rd down passes where the receivers were beyond the sticks and were hit in the hands with the ball.  They didn't need to run for the first down, all they had to do was catch the ball and fall down.  Those three drops ended those three drives.

So there's no telling how things would have gone had they made those 3 catches, and those drives had stayed alive.

Every receiver has a drop now and then.  But the stars had to be in some weird alignment to have three different receivers drop three 3rd down drive killing passes in a single game.

I don't know that I've ever seen that before.

Edited by TitanDuckFan

31 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

That's not true at all.  There were 3 3rd down passes where the receivers were beyond the sticks and were hit in the hands with the ball.  They didn't need to run for the first down, all they had to do was catch the ball and fall down.  Those three drops ended those three drives.

So there's no telling how things would have gone had they made those 3 catches, and those drives had stayed alive.

Every receiver has a drop now and then.  But the stars had to be in some weird alignment to have three different receivers drop three 3rd down drive killing passes in a single game.

I don't know that I've ever seen that before.

I believe our constellation must be cancer...as in the rectal kind.  

On 10/10/2019 at 6:47 PM, Justafan said:

Titans have taken the 7th fewest penalties in the league.  You have a backup kicker you picked up off the street.  

You're not going to have 0 penalties week in and week out.  You aren't going to hit 100% field goals every week.

Amazingly, somehow other teams put up good offense all the time, in spite of penalties and they overcome missed kicks.  Weird!

It’s not just the number, it’s the timing. 
I think we lead the league (or are close to it) in red zone penalties and penalties to start a drive. 
we outperformed the pats vs the bills, moved the ball ok, missed 4 FGs and had 3 tds called back. It’s disappointing we didn’t score those wiped away points, but the negative storyline about the offense is a bit overblown. We are just as easily 26 instead of 7. And with the way the team is built to protect a lead, easily more. It’s not that far away from being pretty decent. 

this is hangover from the Indy game where he played bad, and the Jax game with the sacks but he threw well. 

it’s much more of a shame and concern that in this run based conservative offense we’ve had so far, we can’t run the ball very well 

5 hours ago, Justafan said:

Fitzgerald averages 150 targets a year.  More than double what CD and AJB are on target to get.  Hopkins has gotten 7-13 targets every game this year and also gets 2-3 times as many opportunities as our WRs.  Josh Gordon got 160 targets in '13.

Please feel free to show me the WR who is balling out on 4 targets a game.  If you can't find any (hint: you can't) then this is a retarded argument.  

You really think that it’s the QBs fault our WR aren’t averaging 10 targets each per game? You dont think that’s a conservative scheme thing? 

sure, mariota could up his % of Wr targets.. and he needs to do that, he often does when he has time for the routes to complete. but it wouldn’t be in the same stratosphere as an aggressive modern scheme adjustment. 

joe is right about 1 thing, drops will happen more if the guys aren’t getting involved and then suddenly called upon 

10 hours ago, Justafan said:

So your saying guys like John Skelton, Brandon Weeden, TJ Yates, Tom Savage, etc. etc. Are that much better than Mariota that they gave them those targets or the coaches trusted those QBs more?

The fact is if the play makers want more opportunities they need to make the most of the ones they do get. NFL receivers are making the same difficult catches around the league. They deal with high balls, low balls, off target passes. They go and make the play. Just like being bitching about QBs around the league making similar type plays. We have a flawed offensive philosophy, that extrapolates the mistakes of ALL players.

Again I know you'll assume this is a Mariota support post and it's not. I'm just not blind to the flaws of the offense. I can't wait for the day for Tannehill to start, so some people can wake up. However, they will just say Tannehill just suck worst than Mariota when we have the same results. If we are relying on a rookie QB next year, we can't expect him to carry this team. The playmakers are going to have to bail him out.

Edited by Tomachek

5 hours ago, titanruss said:

It’s not just the number, it’s the timing. 
I think we lead the league (or are close to it) in red zone penalties and penalties to start a drive. 
we outperformed the pats vs the bills, moved the ball ok, missed 4 FGs and had 3 tds called back. It’s disappointing we didn’t score those wiped away points, but the negative storyline about the offense is a bit overblown. We are just as easily 26 instead of 7. And with the way the team is built to protect a lead, easily more. It’s not that far away from being pretty decent. 

this is hangover from the Indy game where he played bad, and the Jax game with the sacks but he threw well. 

it’s much more of a shame and concern that in this run based conservative offense we’ve had so far, we can’t run the ball very well 

Henry has averaged 4 yards a carry and has been a hammer in the 4th quarter.  He's not an all star but the running game hasn't been the main issue.  The passing offense is horrible.  That starts with the QB.  No way around it.

5 hours ago, titanruss said:

You really think that it’s the QBs fault our WR aren’t averaging 10 targets each per game? You dont think that’s a conservative scheme thing? 

sure, mariota could up his % of Wr targets.. and he needs to do that, he often does when he has time for the routes to complete. but it wouldn’t be in the same stratosphere as an aggressive modern scheme adjustment. 

joe is right about 1 thing, drops will happen more if the guys aren’t getting involved and then suddenly called upon 

They have this run first scheme because they are protecting the QB.  His % of WR targets is so low because he doesn't throw to the outside nearly enough.  That's not all of a sudden going to get better.  You can't get any type of rhythm that way.  

I'm not saying the scheme isn't a problem because so far they've done whatever on 1st and 2nd down just trying to get to a 3rd and reasonable and then HOPE someone can make a play.  But the reason they have to play that way is the O-line isn't doing a great job of protecting and Mariota can't drop back and read the field.  Period.  

Everything else is noise.  The penalty stuff is basically meaningless.  

• Jonboy unpinned this topic