Myles Garrett: "Gregg Williams only let me use two moves"

Garrett says former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams -- now defensive coordinator of the Jets -- held him back his first two seasons by limiting him to two pass-rush moves.
“You can be as strong or fast as you want, but speed chop and power move aren't always going to work. You have to mix up what you're doing. Sometimes you have to stutter step, sometimes you have to spin inside, you have to run some games. You have to have some freedom to throw different looks at them, and we didn't always have that."

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05/myles-garrett-says-gregg-williams-limited-him-to-2-moves-and-he-hopes-for-more-freedom-under-steve-wilks.html

Edited by NashvilleNinja

We had an amazing D in 2000 but sometimes think it was a fluke. Sure we were always a top 5 D against the run but made some of shittiest QBs look like a pro-bowler. The famed 99 team that people boast about defense as well...ranked 17th in the league. There was only a difference of 68 points allowed vs scored. I don't have stats for every year he was our DC. Just While I don't think he was trash esp compared to Cecil and he did have his merits but he was overrated by fans at times.

Edited by Somedude

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

He's definitely a crumb off the ol Fishstick. One of the reasons those defenses looked so good is because they just weren't on the field much and when they were they were fresh and were able to fly around making plays in the 4th quarter when the other team was running out of gas. The 99 Titans were 8th overall with a TOP of 31:30 and the 2000 Titans were #1 overall with a league-leading 33:54. People love to try and revise history and downplay Eddie George's career, but that man was a beast. Teams KNEW we were going to run him down their throats because we just didn't have the horses on the outside and because our offensive scheme was limited, at least up until 2000, and they still couldn't do much about it. We punched and punched some more until the other team just gave the fuck up.

While time of possession may not mean as much to teams these days it was critical to those Titan teams. But those days are gone. Williams may have been a good (never great) coach, but eventually the game catches up to most of them. There's something to say for the fact that Williams is still coaching but Garrett's comments make me extremely thankful he's not still coaching here.

Similar to how his super bowl saints defense was able to gamble on big plays because Brees was going to put up 30 points no matter what

He's good at motivating players, albeit sometimes criminal methods. I'm not buying the "GW held me back" bs. Maybe his moves weren't NFL ready and GW saw that. 

Whatever the case, it looks like it worked. He improved from year 1 to year 2. 

14 hours ago, Somedude said:

We had an amazing D in 2000 but sometimes think it was a fluke. Sure we were always a top 5 D against the run but made some of shittiest QBs look like a pro-bowler. The famed 99 team that people boast about defense as well...ranked 17th in the league. There was only a difference of 68 points allowed vs scored. I don't have stats for every year he was our DC. Just While I don't think he was trash esp compared to Cecil and he did have his merits but he was overrated by fans at times.

I mean, Gregg Williams has put together good defenses most everywhere he's gone, and a lot of times with substandard talent.  Saints won a Superbowl because he cobbled together a decent unit while getting actual guys off the street to plug in.  Williams is a good DC, no doubt.  Bigtime asshole, but a good coach.

Edited by japan

2 hours ago, Tex in a Can said:

Criminal methods, immoral, against the NFL rules maybe, but criminal? Maybe just used the word for emphasis or is there something I missed?

Paying someone to injure another person is criminal, yes. No way anyone would prosecute an NFL coach for doing so in the way Williams did...at least not in the near future. But yeah, I think 'criminal' is a perfectly fine word to use. 

1 minute ago, Alcibiades said:

Paying someone to injure another person is criminal, yes. No way anyone would prosecute an NFL coach for doing so in the way Williams did...at least not in the near future. But yeah, I think 'criminal' is a perfectly fine word to use. 

Silly and not exactly accurate. What was funny is that a few years after the Bountygate stuff, someone with the Vikings (who were the supposed victims of Bountygate) admitted that the team had a big hit pool like the Saints. 

HS programs all across the country hand out helmet stickers for big hits every year. The stickers may not have monetary value but they certainly are valuable to the players and the motivational aspect is the same. I never thought bounty-gate was a big deal.

On 5/3/2019 at 9:51 PM, IsntLifeFunny said:

There’s a pretty substantial difference between promoting big hits and paying players to intentionally hurt people. 

If you actually believe that this isn't endemic...wow...unless you're snowflaking to the payment bit..."these lads are out to HURT one another"...

***EDIT***  Oh, and, seriously?!  Your coach is going to NOT let you make plays?!  Beyond stupid.  Garrett seems like a berk.

Edited by CharrdWood

4 minutes ago, CharrdWood said:

If you actually believe that this isn't endemic...wow...unless you're snowflaking to the payment bit..."these lads are out to HURT one another"...

***EDIT***  Oh, and, seriously?!  Your coach is going to NOT let you make plays?!  Beyond stupid.  Garrett seems like a berk.

Alrighty. 

4 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Alrighty. 

Tell me I'm wrong, let me know where I'm not understanding.  Football is--probably--the most violent organized and mass participant sport.

"Alrighty."

Edited by CharrdWood