NFL Network Mock Draft Live

charleytolar

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would be damn happy if our draft went like this.

Anyone watch this?   One of the graphics they showed was team rankings on each side of the ball. On Defense we were in the Top Ten for all four (?) categories and ranked in the Twenties on a

Posted Images

6 hours ago, headhunter said:

A reason for that. Its the best position on the entire team. Its fine. 

BPA

if edge is gone and so is OG and the DL at 19 are similar grade to those at 51 then you have to go BPA. 

I have a hard time ignoring CB in that position with Ryan in a contract year post injury and Sims hitting FA as well as Smith

1 hour ago, Kyle021 said:

BPA

if edge is gone and so is OG and the DL at 19 are similar grade to those at 51 then you have to go BPA. 

I have a hard time ignoring CB in that position with Ryan in a contract year post injury and Sims hitting FA as well as Smith

You can improve the CB play by taking a player at a different position.  

3 hours ago, japan said:

We've kind of upgraded the OL.  We have removed starters from the edge and replaced them with an old situational starter and a shaky rookie.

Old situational starter? I don’t think it’s possible to understate a player more than this. He’s one of the dominant pass rushers of the last 10-20 years & he hasn’t fallen off a bit, aside from having to play a few less snaps a game.

Wake is a perfect example of why older vets are such a good bargain in FA. We’ll probably get at least 1, maybe 2, of his best years. Meanwhile a guy like Z’Darius or Preston Smith will get much more money & years & won’t have a year close to what Wake can do.  But they’re young.

5 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

It's about taking the best talent available, I can't take anything you say draft related because you said you'd rather take the lesser player at a position of need... That's an absolutely awful strategy and you must've never heard of free agency

For some reason (and I think I know why) you automatically turn a "lesser" player into a "bad" player. It ain't so, Joe!

6 hours ago, charleytolar said:

For some reason (and I think I know why) you automatically turn a "lesser" player into a "bad" player. It ain't so, Joe!

It doesn't have to be a bad player, but"lesser" matters, especially if you build a roster of "lesser" players year in and year out aka follow your draft strategy.

The example you used was passing on a 9.4 and taking the 9.2 (an impossible scenario unless you're picking top 3) that's a pretty big difference..... Once you extrapolate that out for the first two picks over a couple years, you have enough guys for an entire side of the ball graded much lower than going BPA.

Good GMs care about the franchise's future, not how much year 1 playing time they can squeeze out of their drafts.

If you have a tie breaker, of course you take the position of need, but to have the mindset of actively selecting the player you have graded worse is poor roster management

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 hours ago, Huston said:

So what's your feelings on Lawrence.

I've been pro Lawrence since February. I think e is impossible to block 1 on 1 when you line him up at 0 due to his size, strength, and quickness off the ball. I think having him in the middle frees up Casey on stunts and twists, and the ILBs on those A gap blitzes Pees loves to run. I think Quentin Nelson's dominance of our IDL stops with the drafting of Lawrence.

Edited by BeedoeLaw

4 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

I've been pro Lawrence since February. I think he is impossible to block 1 on 1 when you line him up at 0 due to his size, strength, and quickness off the ball. I think having him in the middle frees up Casey on stunts and twists, and the ILBs on those A gap blitzes Pees loves to run. I think Quentin Nelson's dominance of our IDL stops with the drafting of Lawrence.

I know that was a joke, you have been firmly entrenched in that camp for months. I dont hate the pick but would like it better if it comes after a trade down, I just dont see him as a 3 down lineman.

8 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

It doesn't have to be a bad player, but"lesser" matters, especially if you build a roster of "lesser" players year in and year out aka follow your draft strategy.

The example you used was passing on a 9.4 and taking the 9.2 (an impossible scenario unless you're picking top 3) that's a pretty big difference..... Once you extrapolate that out for the first two picks over a couple years, you have enough guys for an entire side of the ball graded much lower than going BPA.

Good GMs care about the franchise's future, not how much year 1 playing time they can squeeze out of their drafts.

If you have a tie breaker, of course you take the position of need, but to have the mindset of actively selecting the player you have graded worse is poor roster management

The numbers I used were out of thin air. The real point being a bare difference and in no way a certainly accurate measure.

3 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

The numbers I used were out of thin air. The real point being a bare difference and in no way a certainly accurate measure.

So as a tie breaker... you clearly defined them as being different and to take the one literally graded lowe. 2 totally different things, if you meant to say 2 guys that are graded the the same for all intents and purposes you would take the guy at a position of need of course.

But don't become whiny when people call you out for following your train of thought as it was written out and saying it'd poor GM'ing (which everyone would unanimously agree)