Soccer

Yogaguy

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

lol Good ol' scine.  "The ratings and popularity is from Hispanics so that doesn't really count as actual people."

​Is anything american? We are all from other countries. Soccer is the largest sport in the world and will be the largest sport in the US at some point. Football is too complicated to expand internatio

Soccer is so awesome, Cyrus has to make up words to adequately express the level of required athleticism. Let's that sink in.

Its interesting watching scine go from actually trying to make points to straight up troll as he realizes that he's completely out of his depth in the conversation lol

​I'm just using every comment as an opportunity to say something about MLS or soccer in general.  lol 

Edited by Pragidealist

So 31 pages later, and I haven't read much of it,  let me straighten all of you out on this.

It's not completely irrational to measure a sport's influence on the culture by what you see on Sportscenter. It is however a mistake to consider this the only measuring stick. Per my earlier post we know many things in life are very popular among people that don;t show up on Sportscenter. It ls not close to a perfect reflection of what people are interested in. And it's important to remember that ESPN has their own programming objectives and they skew content this way. Example: 24 hours sports and multiple stations meant ESPN purposely rammed collegiate athletics down American's throats like no one's business because they need this programming to keep the lights on. ESPN is going to push content they can put on air and there are thousands of amateur games being played everyday. 

I could not help but notice Hockey barely scores above soccer on the Scine scale of ESPN mentions. There is now ay that is an accurate reflection of where Hockey is as a sport in the entire Northeast of the United States, which has some of the biggest population centres in the country. New York, Boston..tyou know some pretty massive markets where the NHL is beloved and revered. The NHL outdraws the NBA in attendance % capacity. And that is league wide. Which includes markets like Nashville, Phoenix, SoCal...

If you seriously think more Americans are interested in Villanova vs. St Johns than Capitals vs. Bruins you are shit out to lunch. 

So I do agree with the guys defending the popularity of soccer to an extent...

However...

Continually pointing to the rest of the world, and it's popularity, as an example of how compelling soccer is as a sport is also mostly wrong. 

Soport is cultural. Just like every Canadian thinks hockey is so exciting and every Indian loves Cricket and you won't find many people outside of Nroth America who think Baseball is exciting. 

Moreover, soccer is a cheap sport to play and the sport of the 3rd world. This is a massive worldwide advantage that no other sport really has. Basketball would be the closest. 

Furthermore, if you believe in the natural selection theory, you have to understand our continent was settled by people who mostly came from soccer playing nations. Treating soccer like this North American underdog is ridiculous. It was here first! It had every advantage. 

In spite of this, other sports came along that people felt were infinitely more exciting and compelling. Natural selection dictates that soccer truly is just less exciting and interesting to people period. 

You will know US soccer has finally arrived when people stop making a big deal out of winning friendly matches. Do you honestly think the Netherlands or Germany gave a damn about winning? If the results matter, rather then just evaluating young prospects, US still stands basically no chance against top 10-15 nations. 

These are nothing more the equivalent of an NFL preseason game.

Edited by kgsTitan

Oh you're going to argue that the US is a premier team in the world now because of some friendly matches that featured substitutes? Get real.

I'm not denying that they can get a shock result against a top team in a game that matters every now and then, but let's not pretend they're on Germany's level now.

Edited by kgsTitan