My Observations On Tannehill/Brady And Who The Titans Should Sign

MIKE75

From Week 4 through Week 13 last season Brady's passer rating was a dismal 80.3 and he ranked 30th in completion percentage, 30th in yards per attempt, 29th in passer rating and 24th in Total QBR. His rate stats since Week 4 were roughly in line with those of Mitchell Trubisky of the Bears and we know how bad he is. Also Brady was second after Trubisky in highest rate of off target throws at 21. 3 the year before in 2018.

In 2019 Brady completed only 60.8% of his passes (the third-worst completion percentage of his career) and throwing for only 6.6 yards per pass attempt (worst since 2002). His percentage of TD's thrown while attempting passes was a career worst 3.9% and his 10.9 yards gained per completion was his worst since 2009 and his first two years in the league. His longest pass was 59 yards his lowest since 2004.

The last three years Brady's QB rating has dropped and gotten worse each season. From 102.8 in 2017, 97.7 in 2018 and an 88.0 passer rating in 2019 last season.

One last thing to think about is that when the NFL postseason begins next January Brady will be 44 years of age.

When you look at Tannehill's passer rating,completion percentage,yards per completion,etc. last season his were much better than Brady's and even factoring in regression Tannehill's stats will still look pretty good going forward.

Looking at Ryan Tannehill's time in Miami he did pretty well when you consider his offensive line was ranked as one of the worst in the league the entire time he played there not to mention a defense that was ranked 20th or worst in points allowed so he was having to overcome a bad line and a defense that regularly gave up to many points or blew leads.

Despite all that Tannehill became the fourth quarterback in NFL history to throw for over 3,000 yards in each of his first four seasons in the league in 2015. That included over 4,000 yards in 2014 and 2015 and was a few yards shy of 4,000 in 2013. After his first two seasons his passer rating was around 93 each season and his 93.5 ranked 12th of all QB's in 2016 the year he led Miami to the postseason.

Tannehill's completion percentage was also pretty good and was in the high sixties in 2014,2016 and 2018 and was 67.1 in 2016 his playoff year which ranked 7th that season.

One of the most interesting stats is that in five of Tannehill's seasons in Miami he was ranked in the top 10 in fourth quarter comebacks. Altogether he had 15 fourth quarter comebacks in Miami.

In comparison Nick Foles drafted the same year as Tannehill only had 8 fourth quarter comebacks and Kirk Cousins who was also drafted the same year had 9 fourth quarter comebacks.

Counting his year in Tennessee Tannehill has quite a bit more than Foles and Cousins with 17 fourth quarter comebacks.  

Russell Wilson drafted the same year as Tannehill had 21 fourth quarter comebacks during the same span but also remember that Tannehill was out one whole season in 2017 or it might be closer.

Tannehill did much better when he got to Tennessee he had a better offensive line,better weapons and a defense that didn't give up too many points or blow leads.

Sure Tannehill will regress some but even with some regressing he should still be a solid QB.

There is a long time friendship between head coach Mike Vrabel,qb Tom Brady and i guess we will throw in GM Jon Robinson but all i'm hoping is these guys don't drop what could be a very solid QB for possibly the next half decade just to chase what they think could be a Lombardi trophy with a HOF QB that is already declining and on the way out.

Tannehill fits our offense to a T and there are certain aspects to our offense that he runs that a statue like Brady won't be able to run. There are times where Tannehill uses his legs to gain more yardage or extend a play such as the 91 yard throw to AJ Brown where he scrambled around near the back end zone and threw a perfect pass. Had that been Brady we might've been looking at a safety or loss of yardage.

Tannehill is also 11 years younger than Brady and led the league in multiple catgories this season, finishing out with the best passer rating (117.5),yards per attempt (9.6), adjusted yards gained per pass attempt (10.2), yards per completion (13.6) along with the second best passer rating in 2019.

Meanwhile Brady is steadily declining in a lot of the same categories.

Let's hope when free agency rolls around that Robinson makes the right decision........

On 3/2/2020 at 12:47 PM, Pragidealist said:

Suggestion- start a free blog.  Share here and on twitter.  I did that for soccer and it works for me. 

I'd love to read your soccer ruminations...please send to me in your choice of format...

7 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Brady is an option but I'm not sure what his real market value is.  I'd certainly not want to pay him $30 mil.  Prefer to look somewhere else (Bridgewater?) if it came down to going in a different direction than Tannehill.  For what we can sign Bridgewater for we can almost save enough to sign Henry.  Would anyone rather have Bridgewater and Henry over Brady and maybe not Henry?  

Did I see this right? Do you want teddy?

The longer Tannehill goes unsigned, the more likely the Brady rumors start to seem.

In the end though, not even the Titans know what they'll do. Brady doesn't know what he'll do. Titans will try to get the best deal w/ Tannehill. If he asks too much then they'll look at other options come FA. Brady probably being their first target especially since I don't think he wants teams to break the bank for him. He's not looking for 1 last pay day. He's looking for a contender. He's looking for a ring w/o BB to show everyone that it was him that made the Pats good for the better part of the last 2 decades, not BB.

Edited by reo

From Week 4 through Week 13 last season Brady's passer rating was a dismal 80.3 and he ranked 30th in completion percentage, 30th in yards per attempt, 29th in passer rating and 24th in Total QBR. His rate stats since Week 4 were roughly in line with those of Mitchell Trubisky of the Bears and we know how bad he is. Also Brady was second after Trubisky in highest rate of off target throws at 21. 3 the year before in 2018.

In 2019 Brady completed only 60.8% of his passes (the third-worst completion percentage of his career) and throwing for only 6.6 yards per pass attempt (worst since 2002). His percentage of TD's thrown while attempting passes was a career worst 3.9% and his 10.9 yards gained per completion was his worst since 2009 and his first two years in the league. His longest pass was 59 yards his lowest since 2004.

I don't know about any of you guys but i hope like hell we resign Tannehill AND that Brady stays either in N.E. or goes somewhere else. Looking at all the statistics and how he has done the last couple years he is headed for a crash landing and i sure as hell would rather see that happen from afar instead of here......

On 3/3/2020 at 11:57 PM, Pragidealist said:

I'm sorry, dude, I'm sure it's earnest, forthright, and well-thought-out but I can't read anything about football in the USA.  I just don't care.  USA/MLS, can't do it.

That said, I'm an Arsenal supporter if you wanna take the piss or give off to me about the fall from Grace.

31 minutes ago, CharrdWood said:

I'm sorry, dude, I'm sure it's earnest, forthright, and well-thought-out but I can't read anything about football in the USA.  I just don't care.  USA/MLS, can't do it.

That said, I'm an Arsenal supporter if you wanna take the piss or give off to me about the fall from Grace.

It’s all about what teams you care about. USMNT, Ajax FC, Arsenal, Nashville SC in that order right now 

1 hour ago, Pragidealist said:

It’s all about what teams you care about. USMNT, Ajax FC, Arsenal, Nashville SC in that order right now 

United states mens nation team? Why would you care about that shit show. It should be disbanded and just let the womens team play internationally for both sexes. We would have a much better chance at a word cup.

8 hours ago, Callidus said:

United states mens nation team? Why would you care about that shit show. It should be disbanded and just let the womens team play internationally for both sexes. We would have a much better chance at a word cup.

After disbanding the Titans maybe. USMNT - to compete with the big boys in men’s soccer needs a thriving domestic league with their youth academies. They are getting that and it’s showing. 

Women’s soccer is more dominant mostly due to far inferior competition in the women’s game.

12 minutes ago, Pragidealist said:

After disbanding the Titans maybe. USMNT - to compete with the big boys in men’s soccer needs a thriving domestic league with their youth academies. They are getting that and it’s showing. 

Women’s soccer is more dominant mostly due to far inferior competition in the women’s game.

I'm always disappointed by US players in England. Clint Dempsey for a couple of years was good but they are usually underwhelming. Pulisic looks average. If they can't hack it in the top league in the world I'm not sure there's much hope for the US team doing anything internationally for a while.

Edited by IrishTitansFan

Soccer in the US gets our scrap athletes.  Baseball, Basketball, Football, hockey, even some sports like swimming and gold get better athletes here because people care about them.

Pretty sure @Pragidealist and I debated this a few years back.  I think so far we are both wrong, since I thought baseball would be doing better than it is.