Cryptocurrency

Downtown

2 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Exactly what I was getting at earlier. The more and more these huge companies make BTC truly stable, the more governments are gonna have to step in and keep an eye on everything 

Or create their own crypto 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meanwhile in NFT land...    

My bitcoin has been going nutssssssss! Up 70% in the last month and almost 1000% this year! Gimme the loot baby!    Edit: when bitcoin was first developed I started mining it and had al

The first rule of crossfit/Crypto: always talk about crossfit/crypto

Posted Images

20 hours ago, 9 Nines said:

These people are similar to Trump supporters ignoring reality.  First most of them spout off about inflation being rampant - it is usually one of the first things they recite when discussing bitcoin, when in fact inflation is non-existent and is averaging lower than an historic point continuing a decades long downward trend.

Anyone who thinks inflation is anywhere near as low as what the government reports, is an absolute sucker. Certain consumer goods and commodities have been able to mask the inflation in fiat through increased efficiencies due to technology but inflation in equities and hard assets has been massive for over a decade.

36 minutes ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

Anyone who thinks inflation is anywhere near as low as what the government reports, is an absolute sucker. Certain consumer goods and commodities have been able to mask the inflation in fiat through increased efficiencies due to technology but inflation in equities and hard assets has been massive for over a decade.

I agree.  Just today at lunch when I was eating equities after tasting some gold as my hard asset appetizer, I realized how expensive they were compared to what I normally eat, food that is around the same price it was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. 

13 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

I agree.  Just today at lunch when I was eating equities after tasting some gold as my hard asset appetizer, I realized how expensive they were compared to what I normally eat, food that is around the same price it was 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago. 

Isn't the price of Bitcoin inflating a lot faster than the crude oil you washed that lunch down with?

6 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Isn't the price of Bitcoin inflating a lot faster than the crude oil you washed that lunch down with?

I knew inflation was low but after cleaning out an attic space and finding some various products that still had store price tags on them from ~20 or so years ago, I checked same, if still sold or comparable items on Amazon. All the currently sold items were less than the old price tags. 

1 hour ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

I agree with this post.  There's been massive inflation, but when it's at the top of the money supply it manifests as massive inequality.

15 hours ago, patsplat said:

I agree with this post.  There's been massive inflation, but when it's at the top of the money supply it manifests as massive inequality.

Most of the inflation has been in terms of assets are being inflated. When you factor in education costs and healthcare real inflation is about 10% per year. CPI is manipulated to stay low so the government doesn't have to provide as much COLA raises per year. The only thing which has not inflated is oil prices because demand has began to permanently decay with a glut of supply. 

We are in near bubble status again in house prices. Lumber has gone up 3 x this year. Housing inventory across the country is at 5 year lows. Home prices will go up ~10% this year. 

The equities market is so far in a bubble. They will continue to go up as long as the money printer goes brrrr...

Lumber chart.... (no inflation here sir...) 

image.thumb.png.dd798364e3b1831515ce61a55f43b1a9.png

Edited by Supdawg

13 hours ago, patsplat said:

The Trevor arrived today.  I'm impressed.

@abenjami to provide more detail

The packaging is designed to be tamper evident.  In addition to a hologram, the lid of the box is also glued in such a way that you have to tear the box to get it open.

To control the device, you install a device driver.  Then you go to a website that leverages the WebUSB API.  The connection between the ux and your hardware wallet is only made in particular chrome window that you connected to the USB device.

You backup the wallet by writing down a long series of words.  These words are only displayed by the hardware wallet.  They never show up on the computer, and there are clear instructions to never ever put them on the computer.

You configure a pin to protect interactions with the wallet.  When entering the pin, the hardware displays a jumbled keypad layout that you enter via the web ux.  Thus your computer never actually knows your PIN.

It's pretty clear that a lot of work went into both the threat modeling, and the ux to successfully defeat those threats.