Downtown

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Meanwhile in NFT land...    

My bitcoin has been going nutssssssss! Up 70% in the last month and almost 1000% this year! Gimme the loot baby!    Edit: when bitcoin was first developed I started mining it and had al

The first rule of crossfit/Crypto: always talk about crossfit/crypto

Posted Images

Bitcoin is in trouble if calibra takes off and its very likely it does considering who's backing it. The idea of a cryptocurrency backed by real world dollars could be transformational.

33 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

LOL you bragging in this thread, if we followed your advice we’d be deep in the hole 

I have been telling you to buy and unless you bought at the tops, you'd be in the green most likely. It' spent the better part of a year well below where it's at today. Had plenty of opportunity to buy a proven deflationary asset at major discounts.  

24 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Bitcoin is in trouble if calibra takes off and its very likely it does considering who's backing it. The idea of a cryptocurrency backed by real world dollars could be transformational.

Libra is pegged to a bucket of fiat currencies. It will NEVER appreciate against Bitcoin. Just like the the US dollar, which has lost 99% of its value relative to Bitcoin in the past decade. 

The argument could be made that Libra is even more bullish for Bitcoin. First of all, it's a massive fiat onramp... If it's successful, it will usher a jolt to pusing crypto into mainstream. Once people really understand crypto, they will realize the real store of value will not be Zuck bucks, but Bitcoin. 

Edited by Supdawg

3 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

LOL at this moron pounding his chest about bragging about BTC

Its comical. Bitcoin is fake money. It's like being excited monopoly money is trending up. Calibra will be a real world currency backed by banks and some of the world's largest tech companies. The future for Bitcoin is as a dark currency due to its unregulated, permisionless, and anonymous core features. It wasnt designed to be a real world currency. 

6 hours ago, oldschool said:

Calibra isn't revolutionary, there are, and I'm not exaggerating, billions of dollars worth of dollar backed cryptos already in the market. 

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/tether/

Calibra will require lots of personal information in order to create an account. A consortium of corporations will then know who you are and exactly how you're spending your money. When a government wants to sanction an individual or country Calibra will comply and blacklist the user because it's not decentralized like Bitcoin. 

Edited by Titans_Win_Again

21 minutes ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

Calibra isn't revolutionary, there are, and I'm not exaggerating, billions of dollars worth of dollar backed cryptos already in the market. 

Calibra will require lots of personal information in order to create an account. A consortium of corporations will then know who you are and exactly how you're spending your money. When a government wants to sanction an individual or country Calibra will comply and blacklist the user because it's not decentralized like Bitcoin. 

True but the point is that things take off when backed by mega corporations and banks. Calibra may not be revolutionary but the way it's being brought to market will cause waves.

The 2nd point is funny to me. Opening a bank account requires identification. The idea people want a currency that allows them to be anonymous speaks volumes about their intentions.

Edited by oldschool

22 minutes ago, oldschool said:

The 2nd point is funny to me. Opening a bank account requires identification. The idea people want a currency that allows them to be anonymous speaks volumes about their intentions.

Really? Take a look at China, 1984 isn't fictional anymore. Most commerce there is done through non anonymous mediums like alipay or wechat, a person's bank account can easily be seized for no reason whatsoever. Chinese citizens face heavy restrictions in moving their wealth out of the country. Bitcoin is a way to re-empower the individual, which is exactly why the Chinese government is trying, and failing, to stop its adoption. 

16 hours ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

Really? Take a look at China, 1984 isn't fictional anymore. Most commerce there is done through non anonymous mediums like alipay or wechat, a person's bank account can easily be seized for no reason whatsoever. Chinese citizens face heavy restrictions in moving their wealth out of the country. Bitcoin is a way to re-empower the individual, which is exactly why the Chinese government is trying, and failing, to stop its adoption. 

using China isn't a good example as it has a repressive society. Do you honestly rail against what it takes to open a bank account in the U.S?

17 hours ago, Titans_Win_Again said:

This is the real truth about Libra... Imagine giving Facebook a login at your bank or credit card so they can access all of your spend. That's pretty much how Libra will work. I am sure it will be fine for developing countries to provide a more stable currency than their shitty countries currency. But the cost will be privacy. I am not a chicken little who cares a lot about privacy in general. But in general Libra and Bitcoin are like comparing an airplane to a tomato. 

I would like Libra to be successful if I am being honest. To me it only empowers more adoption of cryptos in general. It can potentially also provide a major fiat onramp which will flow into the liquidity of crypto-assets. 

Edited by Supdawg

On 6/22/2019 at 2:52 PM, oldschool said:

Its comical. Bitcoin is fake money. It's like being excited monopoly money is trending up. Calibra will be a real world currency backed by banks and some of the world's largest tech companies. The future for Bitcoin is as a dark currency due to its unregulated, permisionless, and anonymous core features. It wasnt designed to be a real world currency. 

There will always be a market for decentralized currency but the real money is with banks, companies and governments

Just because companies accept BTC, doesn't mean they have a real horse in the race... They know legislation is on their side and if governments find crypto too intimidating the companies will do whatever they're told