Former GM Floyd Reese And What Could've Been

MIKE75

LOL @ winning %.

Jack Pardee has a higher winning % than Jeff Fisher and was one of the worst head coaches ever. There is no comparison. Pardee might have gotten less out of an all star roster than any HC ever has.

Winning %s have to be looked at in context. Tony Dungy and Mike McCarthy are near the top all time and both sucked.

There just might be a reason George Seifert has one of the highest of all time with SF and a pitiful one with the Panthers.

I agree winning % is not the only factor but you can't simply LOL at it.  There is some correlation between winning % and how good of a coach you are.

You could also look at winning % in playoff games.  You know, the games when the coach has a talented team and isn't stuck in a rebuild.

Fisher's winning % in playoff games is less than stellar compared to other coaches who have coached 10+ playoff games.  He's ahead of Dungy, Denny Green and Marty.....and behind everyone else.

Edited by abenjami

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Fisher had one of the most impressive performances of his career in that loss to the Ravens.   The Titans had game planned the Ravens perfectly and pretty much controlled the game on both si

2000 good times, we went to the game. we were on our way back to my uncle's house when we stopped for gas after the game. My uncle comes out of the gas station looking all somber. I asked what was goi

The delay of game was so blatant. It was like 2 seconds after it had hit 0 that Flacco snapped the ball

Fisher drafted four offensive linemen had another one come in from supplemental and i wouldn't doubt if he doesn't end up eventually having a really good offensive line. Throw in Todd Gurley who has been touted as being the next Adrian Peterson along with Tre Mason as the second RB and he could have a really good running game. He finally has a good a QB with proven potential in Nick Foles a group of decent pass catchers Kenny Britt,Jared Cook,Tavon Austin,Brian Quick,etc.  Has the speedy Austin returning kicks on special teams. A good FG kicker Greg Zeurlein. One of best punter in the game Johnny Hekker. Also the defense is looking great with Quinn,Brockers,Donald,Laurinitis,McDonald,Jenkins. Fisher has Akeem Ayers,William Hayes,Nick Fairley,Mark Barron as depth behind starters on defense. In my opinion he has everything needed now to make a playoff run. He has a very solid roster.

Just noticed Fisher has Devon Wylie on his roster. Surely he must've seen this idiot cost us a game against Indy in 2013. Between Wylie and Reynaud special teams bloopers and Locker overthrowing a wide open receiver to win the game in week two that same year the team held tiebreakers and could've made the postseason at 9-7 but were 7-9 due to incompetence and errors on dropped punts and overthrown passes.

Fitzpatrick played well in many games that season including three straight games with QB rating over 100 and completing over 70% or more of his passes. Had the team had a better returner in place things might've been different. Ironically in 2009 when Tennessee went 8-8 it would've owned tiebreakers at 9-7 and lost an early game that year against the Jets who scored almost all points on turnovers that Ryan Mounton committed when he dropped two returns. 2009 and 2013 the team lost critical games due to breakdowns in the return game by putting someone with little experience in to return kicks.

Edited by MIKE75

What context do you want to look at?

How about this one?

Fisher has always lost the QB lottery. Except for a few years with McNair, when he wasn;t injured, he has never had elite QBing. And, even in that case, I would argue Steve McNair never becomes Steve McNair without Jeff Fisher. 

When you look at his winning % in the context of taking over a 2 win team (twice), a homeless team and shitty working environments and training facilities '96-'98, coaching under Bud Adams, and, finally, and most importantly, the shitty assed qb situations he has been forced to deal with his winning % looks f'n awesome. 

In any case, the Rams are poised to go on a nice run here and this "games over 500" crap is going to change fast over the coming years. If the Rams average 12 wins over the next 3 seasons Fisher will be 40 games over .500.

What context do you want to look at?

How about this one?

Fisher has always lost the QB lottery. Except for a few years with McNair, when he wasn;t injured, he has never had elite QBing. And, even in that case, I would argue Steve McNair never becomes Steve McNair without Jeff Fisher. 

When you look at his winning % in the context of taking over a 2 win team (twice), a homeless team and shitty working environments and training facilities '96-'98, coaching under Bud Adams, and, finally, and most importantly, the shitty assed qb situations he has been forced to deal with his winning % looks f'n awesome. 

In any case, the Rams are poised to go on a nice run here and this "games over 500" crap is going to change fast over the coming years. If the Rams average 12 wins over the next 3 seasons Fisher will be 40 games over .500.

He hasn't "lost" the QB lottery.  He refuses to play it, and you can't win if you don't play.  He simply devalues the most important position on the field and mistakenly believes he can win without a solid QB.  He puts way too much faith in unproven guys like Bradford and Foles, instead of looking to upgrade the position.  He does things like pass on a consensus potential franchise guy and top 5 pick (Bortles) to draft a tackle.

After making the RG3 trade, he had so many great draft picks that he could have used them to trade into position to draft a QB.  Instead, he wasted all of his picks drafting a flop in Tavon Austin, a defense that hasn't lived up to expectations, and yet another RB when he already had a nice stable of them.

And LOL at McNair never becoming McNair without Fisher.  McNair would have been much better off somewhere else.  McNair came into the league as a highly touted thrower and Fisher spent the first half of McNair's career preventing him from opening it up.  Fisher took the "air" out of "Air McNair."

Edited by abenjami

Everything you said there was 100% wrong. If you had the exact opposite perspective on everything your analysis would be absolute perfection. I am not sure someone can be so wrong without making it up. You have to be shitting us. 

Everything you said there was 100% wrong. If you had the exact opposite perspective on everything your analysis would be absolute perfection. I am not sure someone can be so wrong without making it up. You have to be shitting us. 

Seriously?

Did Fisher pass on Bortles and draft a tackle instead?  Right or wrong?

Do you believe Tavon Austin is worthy of being a top 10 pick?

Has the Rams defense lived up to expectations?  They were 17th in points allowed and 16th in team defense last season.

Did Fisher just spend a top 10 pick on another RB?  Right or wrong?

There's no way Fisher should've taken Bortles in 2014. He was considered a huge reach at 3. Bradford is a very well thought of QB, BB wasn't nearly as good a prospect as him. Bradford looked very good the 1st half of 2013 then tore the knee, you don't overdraft a QB because of that. I will say he should've picked one later in the draft, like Mett for example. But I think he would've been nuts drafting Bortles.

McNair was not even close to being ready to carry a team until at least '99, possibly 2000. I also think most HC's would've stuck with NOD in '99 & McNair may have never been McNair.

There's no way Fisher should've taken Bortles in 2014. He was considered a huge reach at 3. Bradford is a very well thought of QB, BB wasn't nearly as good a prospect as him. Bradford looked very good the 1st half of 2013 then tore the knee, you don't overdraft a QB because of that. I will say he should've picked one later in the draft, like Mett for example. But I think he would've been nuts drafting Bortles.

McNair was not even close to being ready to carry a team until at least '99, possibly 2000. I also think most HC's would've stuck with NOD in '99 & McNair may have never been McNair.

Bradford was a "well thought of" QB back in 2010 when he was drafted.  Since then it's been entirely downhill for Bradford and very fair to say he was a HUGE question mark in April of 2014.

I agree Bortles wasn't as highly touted at Bradford coming out of college but I would bet if you asked 32 GM's in April of 2014 if they would take Bortles or Bradford right then, the vast majority would have gone with Bortles.  The guy has good measurables and a good head on his shoulders.  There was plenty of reason for optimism and while he might have been a reach at #3 in some people's minds, there is no question he was worthy of a top 10 pick.  Bradford on the other hand was a known commodity at that time and not so valuable given the fact he is often injured and hasn't done squat since he came into the league.

You only believe McNair wasn't close to carrying a team until 99 or 2000 because you want to believe Fisher was "protecting him"...when in reality, Fisher's refusal to hand the keys to Mac for years after he was drafted just stunted his growth. 

Edited by abenjami

Abenjami you also once claimed Fisher was ruining VY

I don't believe I ever said he was "ruining" VY or anything similar to that.

I did say things to the effect that Fisher wasn't tailoring the offense enough to VY's strengths and that was holding VY back early in his career.  In hindsight, it didn't matter either way since VY turned out to be too retarded to run any offense regardless of how tailored it was (or wasn't) to his strengths.  That also doesn't somehow vindicate the 2015 version of Fisher.