Advice/tips on Hawaiian vacations?

OILERMAN

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes.  Go to Maui and stay away from Honolulu.  Maui is far nicer.  There's nothing remotely nice about Honolulu or its island in general.

chillin on a beach at Oluwalu right now doing active research for you 

Pics?

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

No

Do you have a Costco membership?  I talked to someone this morning who said they previously booked a Hawaii trip through Costco Vacations and it turned out really well.

I have never been to Hawaii myself but lots of people have told me to rent a condo instead of staying in a big chain hotel.  It's significantly cheaper that way and you'll have a full kitchen to cook some of your own meals if you really want to do it on a budget.  Most people hit Costco right after they get off the plane to stock up for the week.  The beaches are public so you can go to whatever beach you want, you don't have to stay at the hotel at the beach you want to be at.  Lots of the condos come equipped with beach chairs and towels.

Renting a car seems like a no brainer.  Cab/Uber rides from the airport to where you are staying will run you at least $100 round trip, so you may as well rent a cheap car for $200 instead and be able to go wherever you want all week (including Costco or the grocery store).

I have also heard not to bother with Oahu or the big island.  Most people like Maui and Kauai.  The smaller secluded island of Lanai looks good but apparently you'll need to fork over some serious cash to stay there.

Generally speaking, I'd figure out which island you'd want to go to first.  Then plan and budget around that.   I'd avoid Honolulu/Oahu since it's not that special and the traffic is HORRIBLE.

I think Costco also offers decent car rental rates.