Alex Smith to be Traded to Chiefs

Cyrus

My guess is that Joeckel goes first overall and they let Branden Albert leave in free agency. Lunacy in my opinion since you're not really saving any money either since Smith has a pretty decent salary. Chances are he will get a new deal too if they gave up that much.

So where does Barkley and Geno Smith go? Rumor was that the Cardinals liked Barkley a lot (which makes sense to me). I think Smith fits the Bills the most. There's going to be some trade movement in the Top 10 if last year was any indication.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally, I think it's a great move by KC. Alex Smith may not be all that and a bag of chips, but he has proven that, with the right coaching staff and an NFL-caliber offense, he can be prod

"What we really need is another guy of Cassel's quality."

Carson Palmer... heck, Ricky Williams...

My guess is that Joeckel goes first overall and they let Branden Albert leave in free agency. Lunacy in my opinion since you're not really saving any money either

Then why assume they'll do it? Trading down is a safer bet even if they can't get perfect value for the pick.

No QBs worth the #1 overall. You could even drop down in the 6-9 range and get a 2nd rounder back. Surely one of those teams has their eye on a player that will be gone by their pick. Maybe they can find a team that needs an OT or something.

Hell you could let the clock run until Joeckel is picked and then trade down to the next tackle needy team.

Edited by reo

Then why assume they'll do it? Trading down is a safer bet even if they can't get perfect value for the pick.

No QBs worth the #1 overall. You could even drop down in the 6-9 range and get a 2nd rounder back. Surely one of those teams has their eye on a player that will be gone by their pick. Maybe they can find a team that needs an OT or something.

Hell you could let the clock run until Joeckel is picked and then trade down to the next tackle needy team.

Who is trading up? They don't have a LT since Albert will be a free agent and taking on Alex Smith's contract seems like a clear concession that they're not going to sign Albert. Keep in mind that the Chiefs have approximately $13M in cap space. Yes, they'll ditch Cassel but they would still need to sign Albert or an equivalent tackle as well as potentially franchise tag Bowe.

Trading away your top 2nd round pick, potentially letting your current left tackle go in free agency, letting your only real passing weapon go and getting a carbon copy of Matt Cassel has to be one of the worst offseason plans I've ever heard.

The only wildcard is Eric Fisher is an OT with similar talent as Joeckel but if the Chiefs aren't stubborn they could find a team willing to make some kind of deal. It is always nice for a team to secure that top pick and know they are getting the guy they want. The Chiefs in an ideal situation could do what the Rams did and trade back a few times. That is the kind of draft they need to get back on their feet and this is the draft to do it with what looks like quite a bit of talent to go around.

Exactly. They might not get perfect value in a trade down but to assume they won't be able to is silly imo. If they look far enough down, they'll find a team willing to trade up.

If they want that 2nd rounder back, they'll be able to get it.

Who is trading up? They don't have a LT since Albert will be a free agent and taking on Alex Smith's contract seems like a clear concession that they're not going to sign Albert. Keep in mind that the Chiefs have approximately $13M in cap space. Yes, they'll ditch Cassel but they would still need to sign Albert or an equivalent tackle as well as potentially franchise tag Bowe.

Trading away your top 2nd round pick, potentially letting your current left tackle go in free agency, letting your only real passing weapon go and getting a carbon copy of Matt Cassel has to be one of the worst offseason plans I've ever heard.

Lots of assumptions here that I'm not comfortable making.

What if their plan is to cut Cassel, sign Albert and tag Bowe while trading back to get another 2nd round pick? Combine that w/ the fact that I in no way think Alex Smith is a carbon copy of Cassel and you get a better plan.

Alex Smith isn't going to set the world on fire for the Chiefs, but he will certainly be better than Cassel.

I'm sure the Chiefs have something else planned. I can't imagine they'd trade such a valuable pick without thinking they could trade back and pick up another 2nd.

I can agree that the Chiefs probably overpaid for Smith, but given the options out there, the market dictated they overpay.

Personally, I think it's a great move by KC.

Alex Smith may not be all that and a bag of chips, but he has proven that, with the right coaching staff and an NFL-caliber offense, he can be productive and play at a high level.

If the Chiefs believe that Andy Reid is the right guy for the job and can build a winning offense (which they obviously do), then Alex Smith is almost certainly the best option available.

Considering what the Bears gave for Cutler, or what the Raiders gave for Carson Palmer....or even what the Texans gave for Matt Schaub....if the Chiefs gave up nothing more than a couple picks for a QB who can step in and start immediately, they got a helluva deal.

Great post. The only thing I would question is if the Chiefs extend him for more than a few years. Otherwise, it's a good move for them. Let's not forget that Reid has won with what many consider less than elite QBs. On side note, It's hysterical to see Cyrus act like this move spells doom for the new Regime in Kansas City and yet he overlooks the catastrophe that is the Titans at every turn? Come on man.

I guess I'm one of a few that doesn't think this is totally terrible. Early in Smith's career he has a new OC/HC just about every year. He finally gets some decent coaching and he takes his team to the NFC Championship game and goes 6-2 this year (19-5-1 under Harbaugh)... (Keap was 5-2-1 in the reg season last year)

If Andy Reid is the QB coach that he/many thinks he is and the coaching stays stable, Smith could make a difference for them... :rolleyes:

Edited by philo13181

Great post. The only thing I would question is if the Chiefs extend him for more than a few years. Otherwise, it's a good move for them. Let's not forget that Reid has won with what many consider less than elite QBs. On side note, It's hysterical to see Cyrus act like this move spells doom for the new Regime in Kansas City and yet he overlooks the catastrophe that is the Titans at every turn? Come on man.

You can't choose not to play the game when it comes to drafting quarterbacks. Very few teams get away with trading/signing FAs when it comes to finding the franchise quarterback. Giving away the 34th pick for Alex Smith sounds like an organization that feels like they continue to sit on the sideline and not play the QB lottery. Chief fans shouldn't have to deal with the mediocrity any longer.

Win or lose, the Titans were smart to draft Jake Locker 8th overall. You don't have a choice as a GM, you have to play the game.