Episode 21 - Draft Wrap-Up - Special guest Alex Brown of Optimum Scouting

TitansGuru

@ABXXV25

We look back on the draft and the newest crop of Titans. We go over every pick and UDFA to discuss their potential roles on the team. We are joined by OptimumScouting.com's central scout, Alex Brown. Alex had a chance to scout most of our draft picks both in person and on tape and provides unique insight. Walker, also of Optimum Scouting, as well as Titans Report's draft guru, Cyrus rejoin us.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Two_Tone_Crew-_Episode_21.mp3

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Two_Tone_Crew-_Episode_21.mp3
[/code]

[color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]iTunes[/font][/color]

http://itunes.apple....rew/id485247545

RSS:

http://twotonecrew.libsyn.com/rss

Voicemail:

(615) 900-0282

Mailbag:

[email protected]

Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/titansreport

Twitter:

@titansreport

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sweet. I'm still up. Might as well listen.

As always, excellent job, and thanks for the hard work. Particularly enjoyed the UDFA segment.

I'm pretty surprised to say this, but this is the most listened to episode we've put out. Even more than McClain and Kuharsky.

Very good guest and informative....

Obv I disagree with some thoughts on the lack of an OL in the draft. Someone stated that the opportunity never presented itself. The exact opposite is true, Decastro and Konz fell right into their laps. I wanted them to be there for this reason, it would show what they truly thought.

You have to consider with Munchak saying Harris is starting at RG and they like him better at RG where does an interior OL fit? Velasco is a veteran swing man so they would literally have to cut Harris if they drafted a 1st round guard. Guard was not even a need.

There was also no way Munchak was starting a rookie center on his OL. Of course Amano is overpaid and could have been upgraded but that would have been Myers or Wells, not a rookie.

Thompson will be kept on the 53 man roster but probably rarely active unless he has a great camp. The Titans always keep 1 or 2 guys on the 53 man roster as developmental players they don't want to risk to the practice squad. I also think it's likely they do not keep a FB.

The safest pick was probably Martin. I also think you have to at least consider Wright as a risk considering the offense he came from.

You guys also didn't touch on the possibility Worthy was going to be the pick in the 2nd if GB didn't jump up one spot ahead of the Titans. So I don't think they were only drafting a LB in round 2.

The team told Martin in early April that they would take him if he was available. I'll take them at their word and think he was the DT target, not Worthy.

I agree with Oman on the OL stuff. The team had the chance to take the best interior OL prospect in 12 years and would have had a guy who could anchor the Line for the next 10 years; they passed. They also could have easily signed Wells or Myers had they made a fair offer. Clearly they don't think the interior OL is responsible for CJ's decline nor do they seem to care with the switch to a pass oriented offense.

I also dispute the notion that Thompson is the reason they have to carry 4 TEs. It actually comes down to Cook who is a WR in this offense so the Titans basically have 2 TEs that can't play on the line which necessitates having 4 TEs on the 53 man roster.

The team told Martin in early April that they would take him if he was available. I'll take them at their word and think he was the DT target, not Worthy.

Worthy would have been in the second round instead of Zach Brown. Green Bay traded right in front of us and took Worthy (edit: sorry i misunderstood. thought you were saying we'd take worthy in round 3).

I think I brought that up on day 2's quick hits @OILERMAN. Or maybe I thought it and just forgot to mention it.

@OILERMAN I probably didn't make myself totally clear on the subject because you're right about DeCastro and Konz (although Konz had injury and potential heart problems that were revealed only recently).

What I meant though is that I think the Titans were open to the possibility of taking OL on day 3. There were a lot more power blocking type OL on day 2 than any high caliber zone types (Silatolu, Osemele, etc). None of those guys were in strong consideration based on scheme.

On top of that a lot of these "guards" were tackles projected to move inside. As a whole almost every single projected guard fell in the draft save a few.

So I don't think that the Titans felt like it was a necessity to take OL on the basis that they were dropping as a whole and that there would be a number who could potentially pass into PFA.

A number of us thought they could take in the mid to late rounds but partially on the expectation that a number of them would start coming off the board in rounds 4-5. That never happened.