Frustration with Tannehill is understandable but his contract means he is the starting QB in 2022

AussieTitanFan08

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What probably hurts the most is that we didn’t even need him to be some elite QB yesterday. Literally all he had to do is protect the ball and we win. Yes, I put some of the loss on Vrabel and Downing

I’m in the camp that we can’t win with Tannehill so we’re basically fucked but we are stuck with him so you have to play to his strengths better. He’s a West Coast QB, use his mobility more, go back t

I literally want to smash something every time it’s 3rd and 1 and we line up in shotgun. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

The alternatives are a rookie QB at 26 in a bad QB draft or guys like Jimmy G or Trubiski or maybe they can bring Marcus back! 

The best option is to fix the position groups at WR beyond AJB and a sliver of Jones and at TE

Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, and Patrick Mahomes were considered huge gambles when they were drafted.  If you prefer to stay the course, that’s fine.  But it’s not impossible to improve and there’s plenty of evidence why the team should strive to improve.   You’d rather them do their best to win now.  Cool, lots of fans probably agree with you.  On the other hand, there’s lots of fans that don’t think Tannehill is capable of winning now so we might as well start the process of replacing him, even if it’s getting a rookie who sits behind him a season or two.  

2 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

Justin Herbert, Josh Allen, and Patrick Mahomes were considered huge gambles when they were drafted.  If you prefer to stay the course, that’s fine.  But it’s not impossible to improve and there’s plenty of evidence why the team should strive to improve.   You’d rather them do their best to win now.  Cool, lots of fans probably agree with you.  On the other hand, there’s lots of fans that don’t think Tannehill is capable of winning now so we might as well start the process of replacing him, even if it’s getting a rookie who sits behind him a season or two.  

Those guys were all drafted in the top 10.  This draft reportedly doesn't have any of those types of QB's.  And we pick 26 and are in win now mode.   Which one of these guys in this draft (state a specific qb please) are you going to move up for and how much in draft capital are you willing to give up?

Just now, Mercalius said:

There’s no Mahomes Herbert or Allen in this draft class. And even Alan took two good years before he became worthy of being a first round pick quarterback. I’m not averse to them picking a guy that they can see starting down the road but this idea that you’re going to have some fix for 2022 that doesn’t involve Tannehill being the starter is laughable and unrealistic.  

BRW who gives a fuck what one of the worst fan bases in the NFL thinks. Robinson doesn’t.

31 minutes ago, Mercalius said:

After watching Ryan Tannehill, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, and even Stafford this weekend, the idea that you don’t need that caliber QB to win in the postseason is mostly wishful thinking.  Maybe if we play a bad Patriots team with an injured Brady or a Lamar one read Jackson Ravens team every year.  Maybe just maybe we could win the whole thing.  Stafford threw for 366 yards and two touchdowns yesterday.  And marched down the field in 40 seconds to set up the game winning FG.  Tannehill averages 150 yards passing in the playoffs and has a 7/5 TD int ratio in 5 games.   5 of those touchdowns came in three games in 2019.   These quarterbacks aren’t playing the same game, and maybe there is some universe where he’s completely carried to a Super Bowl.  But nothing on his resume in the post season suggests he’s the guy that will get us there.  And if he isn’t that guy, they need to find that guy.  Because the rest of the team is legitimately good enough to go all the way if our QB isn’t a liability.  

I tend to agree, but two thoughts...

1)  Tannehill can play to the level to get us there with this team.  He just hasn't done it the playoffs, and that is problematic.  

2)  Finding a franchise QB in the draft (or anywhere) is every team's dream when it's their time.  That is NOT easy and far more misses than hits. 

Hopefully the team can successfully navigate this in the next few years and not be desperate and fuck up.  It's probably easier to end up with a Young, Locker, Mariota era than it is to bring in an elite rookie.     

I'm not saying anything in particular other than there is no easy button.  

Edited by Rogue

Just now, rns90 said:

Those guys were all drafted in the top 10.  This draft reportedly doesn't have any of those types of QB's.  And we pick 26 and are in win now mode.   Which one of these guys in this draft (state a specific qb please) are you going to move up for and how much in draft capital are you willing to give up?

The draft process hasn’t even started and 2-3 are already projected as first round picks.  They always get elevated after the Combine and Pro Days and it would be a huge shock if 2-3 aren’t gone top 15.  Pickett, Corral, Willis, and Strong all have grades between rounds 1-3 and odds are those will only rise as the months go by.  As for who to pick?  I don’t know.  I’m no QB evaluator.  You just have to trust the FO and hope they get it right, keep a good team around them, and give them the coaching to help them succeed.  

2 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

There’s no Mahomes Herbert or Allen in this draft class. And even Alan took two good years before he became worthy of being a first round pick quarterback. I’m not averse to them picking a guy that they can see starting down the road but this idea that you’re going to have some fix for 2022 that doesn’t involve Tannehill being the starter is laughable and unrealistic.  

BRW who gives a fuck what one of the worst fan bases in the NFL thinks. Robinson doesn’t.

You don’t know there isn’t and it’s literally 50/50 every year on whether a draft class has a stud QB or two regardless of how weak the class is viewed leading up to the draft.  And I’ve never said I’m opposed to a rookie sitting behind Tannehill.  Just that some effort is made to address the position.  I don’t hate RT.  I just don’t think we can win a Super Bowl with him. 

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

They're probably gonna end up drafting in 23 close to where they're drafting this year.

Be it this draft or the next unless all the stars align and a guy they love drops in our lap or is within a couple of hops up the board to trade for they're probably gonna need to spend a very high price in draft capitol to get who they'd want.

It's really a matter of when do you want to do it because it's gonna to cost a arm and leg no matter which year you choose.

9 minutes ago, Rogue said:

I tend to agree, but two thoughts...

1)  Tannehill can play to the level to get us there with this team.  He just hasn't done it the playoffs, and that is problematic.  

2)  Finding a franchise QB in the draft (or anywhere) is every team's dream when it's their time.  That is NOT easy and far more misses than hits. 

Hopefully the team can successfully navigate this in the next few years and not be desperate and fuck up.  It's probably easier to end up with a Young, Locker, Mariota era than it is to bring in an elite rookie.     

I'm not saying anything in particular other than there is no easy button.  

I will say our situation is a lot more ideal than the Locker/Mariota years for grooming a QB.  I truly believe a lot of those guys would bust no matter what.  But I also believe situation, winning culture, and coaches that are given time to develop them properly can be just as important for whether they bust out or not.  Would Mahomes be the same player on the Jets?  Would Allen be who he is if he got traded to another team after a meh start instead of sticking with a staff that believed in him?   A lot of it is situational luck on top of raw talent.  Most of these guys are absurd athletes and can make any throw.  You just have to trust the scouts and find the right guy/situation and do your best to keep it running together until the QB gets everything figured out.  

Edited by Mercalius

The odds are overwhelming that the Titans wont win the Super Bowl. It’s fucking hard. Even if you have guys like Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, etc.

The odds are also overwhelming that a franchise quarterback is not going to be available when the Titans are drafting. Sure they could draft the next Brady or Wilson in theory but the odds are doing that are actually lower than I’m winning the Super Bowl as constructed

Edited by BudsOilers

1 minute ago, Mercalius said:

You don’t know there isn’t and it’s literally 50/50 every year on whether a draft class has a stud QB or two regardless of how weak the class is viewed leading up to the draft.  And I’ve never said I’m opposed to a rookie sitting behind Tannehill.  Just that some effort is made to address the position.  I don’t hate RT.  I just don’t think we can win a Super Bowl with him. 

I imagine there has been talks with the staff about what to do about a QB.  Tannehill's contract will be up in two years, he's not getting younger, and it's really hard to imagine them matching the current contract.  They have to be giving it thought.  Bringing in a guy they like a lot and grooming him behind Tannehill seems to be the smart play.  

I just hope it's not a situation where they feel pressured to start the new guy if they feel he's not quite ready yet, or at least would like to have him a little more up to speed on the system and concepts.  

4 minutes ago, Rogue said:

I imagine there has been talks with the staff about what to do about a QB.  Tannehill's contract will be up in two years, he's not getting younger, and it's really hard to imagine them matching the current contract.  They have to be giving it thought.  Bringing in a guy they like a lot and grooming him behind Tannehill seems to be the smart play.  

I just hope it's not a situation where they feel pressured to start the new guy if they feel he's not quite ready yet, or at least would like to have him a little more up to speed on the system and concepts.  

Tannehill isn’t bad enough to warrant that I wouldn’t think.  He’s an above average regular season QB.  The rookie could sit and learn a lot behind him.  I’d especially like it if they got Tim Kelly as QB coach or passing game coordinator or whatever BS title they have to give him to make him our OC (only not in title) and gave him a chance to really grow at the hip with whatever rookie it is.  But that’s only assuming there’s a QB worth jumping on the table for.   I don’t want them to draft a guy they only like.  It needs to be someone a scout would risk their job over. Otherwise, wait another year.  Maybe trade back a couple times to build up ammo for 2023

Edited by Mercalius

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Going with scenario two basically amounts to this team shifting expectations it would be a shift from being all in on the current season to preparing for the future.

Have seen some comments suggesting trading up for the QB should be on the table, just want to remind everyone the possible cost involved in leaping up

This is what it cost the Giants to jump up from pick #20 to pick #10 in the 2021 draft to select Justin Fields

- 1st Round Pick #20 (2021 draft)

- 5th Round Pick #164 (2021 draft)

- 1st Round Pick #7 (2022 draft)

- 4th Round pick #108 (2022 draft)

Not really. You can take a 1st round QB and still compete. The Niners and Packers are recent proof of this.