Arthur Smith: Titans Will Ride Derrick Henry This Year

tgo

Cosell mentioned that the RB position has to understand defensive fronts...similar to the way QBs do, but differently.  Based on the play’s design and the defensive front, the RB has to be able to see and understand how his blocking will set up at the second level so he can know where the gaps will be rather than running directly into an unblocked defender.  

Cosell mentioned that he didn’t see any noticeable change in Henry, the playcalling, or the way they were using him...maybe it was something EG taught  him or maybe it was just a matter of getting more carries and a better understanding of the system.

But whatever it was,  Henry  obviously did a better job of reading the fronts and understanding what he was seeing as compared to earlier in the season. 

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Duh, who didn't already know this?   The problem is you ain't running to success with this schedule, you have to score points and points come from the passing game. 

I'm definitely ready for some "fun heavy" offense!! LOL ?

Henry is in his last year, no reason not to run him into the ground 

25 minutes ago, nine said:

Cosell mentioned that the RB position has to understand defensive fronts...similar to the way QBs do, but differently.  Based on the play’s design and the defensive front, the RB has to be able to see and understand how his blocking will set up at the second level so he can know where the gaps will be rather than running directly into an unblocked defender.  

Cosell mentioned that he didn’t see any noticeable change in Henry, the playcalling, or the way they were using him...maybe it was something EG taught  him or maybe it was just a matter of getting more carries and a better understanding of the system.

But whatever it was,  Henry  obviously did a better job of reading the fronts and understanding what he was seeing as compared to earlier in the season. 

That can't be. I've been told he was a completely different player. 

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

That can't be. I've been told he was a completely different player. 

Didn't Cossell say he saw the field better as did @nine? Is that not a change?

I didn't see Cosell say anything about the oline oddly enough.

Seems like the EG subject is the common thread here ... 

Sorry.

Just now, big2033 said:

Didn't Cossell say he saw the field better as did @nine? Is that not a change?

I didn't see Cosell say anything about the oline oddly enough.

Seems like the EG subject is the common thread here ... 

Sorry.

I never argued Henry stayed exactly the same but rather that he didn't suddenly become some brand new, unrecognizable back. Looks like Cosell agrees. Cosell is speculating about the EG stuff just like everyone else but in the end, he can't see an on-field difference. Any way you slice it, you can't reconcile the statements "no noticeable change in Henry" with "completely different back". Sorry.

3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I never argued Henry stayed exactly the same but rather that he didn't suddenly become some brand new, unrecognizable back. Looks like Cosell agrees. Cosell is speculating about the EG stuff just like everyone else but in the end, he can't see an on-field difference. Any way you slice it, you can't reconcile the statements "no noticeable change in Henry" with "completely different back". Sorry.

LOL Cossell is speculating now about EG ...  but your point of view is nowhere to be seen. If there is one argument to take here ... it isn't yours. They also said "hes seen the field better" according to Oilerman's above post so that's a definite change.

You probably shouldn't have said anything, because none of this helps your case. It anything it ours.

Edited by big2033

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Greg Cosell broke down Henry's last 4 games. Basically said he couldn't explain the turn around. He said before thos 4 games he never thought Henry could be a be a featured RB but he looked like it the last 4 games. They talked about him talking to Eddie and thought he saw the field better etc......

Cosell praised him for being able to turn runs into positive gains in the 4 game stretch. 

Nothing real Earth shattering and couldn't explain the turn around 

@Mythos27

Edited by big2033

Just now, big2033 said:

LOL Henry is speculating but your point of view is nowhere to be seen. If there is one argument to take here ... it isn't yours. 

You probably shouldn't have said anything, because none of this helps your case. It anything it helps ours.

Big, it doesn't matter what info comes out, you always think it proves your case. Somehow a statement about not seeing any noticeable differences bolsters your claim that he was visibly a completely different player. I'll say what I want, if you don't like don't quote me and keep going about your business. No one is making you read my posts and then debate for days on end.

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Yet the conclusion is Cosell still doesn't know what change in Henry actually resulted in on-the field production . If he really knew the EG convo is what did it, he would have said so. He didn't. Stop trying morph reality to suit your arguments. 

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Yet the conclusion is Cosell still doesn't know what change in Henry actually resulted in on-the field production . If he really knew the EG convo is what did it, he would have said so. He didn't. Stop trying morph reality to suit your arguments. 

He sure as hell didn't say he thought it was the o-line.

He just knows that before Henry didn't look like a featured RB ... but the last four he did look like a featured RB ... and that he saw the field better overall after talking to EG according to the quote.

He didn't say oline, didn't say play calling. Said Henry looked better.

Again, your Oline narrative falls pretty flat here. Which was your narrative. So again, cut that victory lap short.

Edited by big2033

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

He sure as hell didn't think it was the o-line.

He just knows that before Henry didn't look like a featured RB ... but the last four he did look like a featured RB ... and that he saw the field better overall after talking to EG.

Again, your Oline narrative falls pretty flat here. Which was your narrative. So again, cut that victory lap short.

Did he state that the O-line wasn't a big factor or is that just you twisting reality to fit your needs? Quote it please. I keep wanting to cut my victory lap short but your getting butt-hurt and ranting every time I make a joke on the topic is making it pretty impossible. They're just jokes bro, relax. The only reason I even commented is because I know how much you and Oman love Cosell so I thought it was funny that he seems to disagree with "completely different back" narrative. 

4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Did he state that the O-line wasn't a big factor or is that just you twisting reality to fit your needs? Quote it please. I keep wanting to cut my victory lap short but your getting butt-hurt and ranting every time I make a joke on the topic is making it pretty impossible. They're just jokes bro, relax. The only reason I even commented is because I know how much you and Oman love Cosell so I thought it was funny that he seems to disagree with "completely different back" narrative. 

Cossell is actually pretty fixed when it comes to certain types of QB which I don't like. But he's relevant, like many others are, above us in this forum.

It seems to be that he saw him play better ... that's obvious. He just couldn't see why, with his makeup, that he was better. Because Cossell didn't believe he had the ability - which is something he's said in the past.

But I'm arguing with too many people tonight so I'll leave it alone.

Edited by big2033

Just now, big2033 said:

Cossell is actually pretty fixed when it comes to certain types of QB. But he's relevant, like many others are, above us in this forum.

I mean, I really don't care either way. I think he's a pretty good analyst and very informative but him saying something doesn't automatically make it the unquestioned truth to me. I understand the importance of taking the opinions of analysts seriously but I just don't like the idea of out-sourcing all of my thinking/opinions to them. Even if I turn out to be wrong and they, right it'll be a learning opportunity for me. Like I've said before, we've beat this dead horse enough. All that's left is to have some fun with it. Besides, if Henry's leg turns out to be FUBAR, we'll have to load up the old shotgun and literally make him the dead horse. Well that or put him on IR.  

its still vastly underrated how much the new scheme in blocking and new offense in general affected the offense. 

the guys started blocking better as they gelled and learned the scheme... and we added in more power runs later. 

henry started to recognize the holes better and could play faster

henry also had some motivation from an all time great who told him to use his size to his advantage... which henry never really did up to that point. but they guy was still running hard and trying to press the line.