Who Here Was Originally An Oilers Fan And Followed Them To Tennessee?

MIKE75

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't need to ask this. Look for the most bitter, cynical posters. Not the angry ones. The ones who are kind of numb, and resolved to suck forever. Those are the fans that used to be Oiler fans an

He actually addressed the team before the season and told them the team would be dismantled regardless of what happened because of upcoming free agency and the salary cap.   Entering that se

Houston native. I'm still pissed at Lanier and Adams for letting the team move.

I always wondered how the Oilers would

have done in 1994 had they made one more run.  Remember the Chargers went to the Super Bowl that year and I think if the Oilers had kept everyone there they would have been a serious challenger.  They weren’t beating San Francisco but they certainly would have had a better chance than he Chargers did.

Edited by scine09

42 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Hard to envision that Oiler team making the leap to a SB.  That core consistently underachieved under multiple coaching staffs.

All it takes is one year.  And the AFC in 1994 was mediocre.  Again, the Chargers won the conference.  Stan Humphries was the QB.  They were 8-8 the year before and 9-7 the year after.

12 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

He actually addressed the team before the season and told them the team would be dismantled regardless of what happened because of upcoming free agency and the salary cap.

Entering that season the Oilers and 9ers were the two most talented teams and stood to lose the most in free agency. 

The 9ers signed all their guys to extensions, the Oilers let everyone go and traded Moon. The first year you could use 3 transition tags and these idiots used the tags on Givins, Lorenzo White and Dishman

Tagging White and Givins was retarded considering they had two elite pass rushers in Sean Jones and William Fuller. 

The 9ers won a SB the Oilers went 2-14 and took years to rebuild. 

NFLN played the ‘93 WC game in Buffalo the other day. I’m a glutton for punishment so I recorded it & watched. 2 things that stuck out to me, and @scine09 & I have discussed this, was just how much  better the brand of football was back then. Btwn the rules & the more pro style of the game, it was just so much more enjoyable.

The other thing, and we talked about this, was the real strength of those Oiler teams was in the trenches. Because of the stupid insistence on using the R&S the media & fans thought of those Oilers as this high flying passing team. The reality was aside from a year or two they weren’t overly efficient throwing it. The WR’s YPC & Moon’s average yards per pass plummeted after switching to the R&S. Givins especially went from a major deep threat to a shifty slot guy. Jeffries was a bit overrated but he was a downfield, jump ball X WR, and he wasn’t able to run nearly as many of those routes in the R&S.

They had an absolutely destructive DL & almost as good an OL. Talent all over the secondary. We should’ve run a basic pro offense, using a lot of play action with downfield throws to Givins & Haywood.

To your point, teams adjusted to the R&S and they bogged down in the red zone more so than in 1990.

I was desperately hoping that Bud would have thrown a ton of money to hire Jimmy Johnson when he left Dallas.  Have to believe he could have worked with what they had way better than Pardee or Fisher.

Edited by BudAdams

12 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

He actually addressed the team before the season and told them the team would be dismantled regardless of what happened because of upcoming free agency and the salary cap.

Entering that season the Oilers and 9ers were the two most talented teams and stood to lose the most in free agency. 

The 9ers signed all their guys to extensions, the Oilers let everyone go and traded Moon. The first year you could use 3 transition tags and these idiots used the tags on Givins, Lorenzo White and Dishman

Tagging White and Givins was retarded considering they had two elite pass rushers in Sean Jones and William Fuller. 

Sorry I don't recall this. I do not remember him saying that and I don't remember the team being dismantled immediately after. I only remember Moon getting shipped and Munch retiring. Aside from that I don't recall a major loss on the team. It took a few years for him to clean house and then they moved. What other major losses were there?

15 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I do remember reading this in Sporting news.  

2 hours ago, Face said:

NFLN played the ‘93 WC game in Buffalo the other day. I’m a glutton for punishment so I recorded it & watched. 2 things that stuck out to me, and @scine09 & I have discussed this, was just how much  better the brand of football was back then. Btwn the rules & the more pro style of the game, it was just so much more enjoyable.

The other thing, and we talked about this, was the real strength of those Oiler teams was in the trenches. Because of the stupid insistence on using the R&S the media & fans thought of those Oilers as this high flying passing team. The reality was aside from a year or two they weren’t overly efficient throwing it. The WR’s YPC & Moon’s average yards per pass plummeted after switching to the R&S. Givins especially went from a major deep threat to a shifty slot guy. Jeffries was a bit overrated but he was a downfield, jump ball X WR, and he wasn’t able to run nearly as many of those routes in the R&S.

They had an absolutely destructive DL & almost as good an OL. Talent all over the secondary. We should’ve run a basic pro offense, using a lot of play action with downfield throws to Givins & Haywood.

I think Oilerman said they only ran the ball like 3-4 times after they got the large lead.  That's insane.  They really should have ran the ball more period (just talking in general about the Run And Shoot Oilers).  I remember the DL being great.  They acquired Lee Williams in 1992 and that was with Fuller, Jones, and Childress on the roster.  Then you had Lathon.  They really should have won more than one playoff game, and that was against a bad Jets team, no less.

6 hours ago, GOAT9 said:

What other major losses were there?

Warren Moon, Munchak, Sean Jones and William Fuller were all gone after the 93 season. 

7 hours ago, Face said:

By 93 the Run and Shoot was done, the passing game was really pitiful. 

Here are some things to consider about how mediocre the passing game was. 

16th in passer rating with a 74.2

The most INTs in the league with 25

8th most sacks with 43. 

2nd most fumbles lost with a whopping 20(1 behind the most). BTW, 37 fumbles total!

BTW, sacks and fumbles did them in vs KC in the playoffs 

The Oilers had the 2nd most penalties and 2nd most penalty yards. 

Moon was actually benched he was playing so bad. He got his job back because Carlson was injured. 

The only reason the team went 12-4 was because the defense was 85 Bears like and Gary Brown ran like Derrick Henry late last season from about the mid point on. 

It's really amazing the team went 12-4 with some of those numbers. 

Moon did play a lot better after he got benched plus they started running it more with Brown too.  Offense averaged over 25 per game in the 11 game win streak and finished 4th in scoring for the year and 5th in TD passes.

Still, trans had the formula for slowing down the passing game and no question Hopkins as a rookie was not the LT he eventually became.

the defense also stepped it up allowing 11 points per game and leading the league in turnovers.  

12 hours ago, Face said:

There's absolutely no question in my mind that the NFL was a better league back then.  There also wasn't the oversaturation then that there is now.