Davis, Taylor, and Sharpe All Had More Average Separation per Target than....

TerryBoats

4 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

It seems like these receivers are good for Mariota's skill set.  They are getting the separation, which he needs.  Basically any possession/contested catch receiver would be extremely limited with him at QB, and he couldn't play with divas like OBJ and Brown because they couldn't deal with not getting the ball despite getting open so often.

That stat is not an indicator in any way of how easily guys are getting open.  Just stop with that stupidity.  Do you really believe that Taywon Taylor is consistently beating coverage at the same clip ODB Jr. is?  No, you don't.  Or you're an idiot.

Edited by Justafan

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s funny that people keep posting threads as proof that Marcus has to play better.   Everyone already knows he has to play better.  Talk about beating a dead horse.

We know what the problem is

BTW last year Davis was 2.7 while Matthews, Taylor, and Decker were 2.6. This year Taylor is 3.2, Davis is 3.1, and Sharpe is 3.0. Nice improvement.   I think this issue is a little more com

Posted Images

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Here's an extreme example:

Do you think there are enough WR weapons to make Brock Osweiller look good or are you wasting draft resources on a QB who won't use them anyway?

Osweiler didn't look terrible this year in Miami.  I don't think you can ever look Osweiler look like Andrew Luck if that's what you're getting at but I do think you can make your offense better with better players.  

Let me spell it out for everyone. 

Regardless of the reasons, the biggest issue on our offense going into this offseason is QB. Interior a close second. WR third.

Mariota has to play better and stay healthy or any additional WRs will be wasted on a QB who gets sacked before he can throw it anyway.

Edited by big2033

2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

That stat is not an indicator in any way of easily guys are getting open.  Just stop with that stupidity.  Do you really believe that Taywon Taylor is consistently beating coverage at the same clip ODB Jr. is?  No, you don't.  Or you're an idiot.

He was embarrassing the All Pro CBs in Jacksonville.  He's better at it than you think.  A second year player catching 66% of his targets and getting that much separation per Target is very good.

Edited by abc2330

Just now, Justafan said:

Osweiler didn't look terrible this year in Miami.  I don't think you can ever look Osweiler look like Andrew Luck if that's what you're getting at but I do think you can make your offense better with better players.  

OK ... then it becomes how can you make it better with a bad QB?

You probably start with the running game. Not WRs.

Just now, Justafan said:

That stat is not an indicator in any way of easily guys are getting open.  Just stop with that stupidity.  Do you really believe that Taywon Taylor is consistently beating coverage at the same clip ODB Jr. is?  No, you don't.  Or you're an idiot.

Exactly.

The stat shows how much separation they have when they are targeted. Which is obviously going to be a higher number when you also have a QB people are saying isn't throwing contested passes enough.

Just now, big2033 said:

OK ... then it becomes how can you make it better with a bad QB?

You probably start with the running game. Not WRs.

I agree.  They have to help out Derrick Henry and the Oline.  That will help the offense, and Mariota, better than any WR, even a dominant one.  

Any reason why you wouldn't want to do both?

1 minute ago, Justafan said:

I agree.  They have to help out Derrick Henry and the Oline.  That will help the offense, and Mariota, better than any WR, even a dominant one.  

Any reason why you wouldn't want to do both?

We have more immediate needs. Maybe a third round pick on a WR at best. But we have aging defenders, aging olinemen, it just seems like a waste to draft another WR high right now.

Just now, Justafan said:

You talking about the game he put up 6 for 59 or the one where he put up 4 for 30?

He caught 6 of 7 targets.  Mariota only attempted 18 passes.  Safe to say that they couldn't cover him and his production was only limited because we didn't have to throw the ball.

Just now, abc2330 said:

He caught 6 of 7 targets.  Mariota only attempted 18 passes.  Safe to say that they couldn't cover him and his production was only limited because we didn't have to throw the ball.

If that's the argument you can make for Taylor then you can make the same argument for Mariota.  Extrapolate out more attempts for Mariota over an entire season and he can put up whatever stats you want him to.

That's not what happened though.  

Taylor has 1 100 yard game in his career.  He hasn't embarrassed anyone.  He's basically Antonio Brown according to you though.

1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

We need a FA WR. Rookie WRs don't contribute that often.

There are a lot of intriguing options out there on the market.

Yes.  A solid #2 vet WR to replace Rishard Mathews would be a great move imo.  

Perhaps a slot type guy who can get open and fits Mariota skill set even.