Winning: $1.50 extra each paycheck

Btowner

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And? Why is that a problem?   How is it better if seniors all pay for private insurance instead of paying Medicare? Shifting X dollars from public spending to private (pretending the costs d

I’m sure the millionaires and billionaires all got comparable $1.50 per week bumps in their post-tax incomes, too...

53 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

We are fucked. 

The real problem is that the Republican masses are happy to get $1.50 per week while the rich reap the real rewards. They think it’s good. 

And woe be unto any Democrat who might dare take away that $1.50 in an effort to undo those tax cuts!

20 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

In Starkiller's mind that $1.50 is preventing us from having public roads, clean water and a military. 

Sox has no problem with the $1.50. It's more that he thinks it should be a lot more and the $26M that the Koch brothers got should be a lot less or preferably they pay more.

Jack up the rich's taxes up close to what we pay and you could cut that person's taxes to the bone. 

Edited by reo

16 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I'm not against everyone paying their fair share of taxes.  The question is what is fair?  If the main focus is income re-distribution .... no.  Everyone paying the same %..... yes.

I’m all for making the wealthy pay more, too...

After all, I assume that’s what you mean by paying the same. So Warren Buffett and his secretary should pay the same percentage on their tax bills. I say tax ALL income (wages, bonuses, capital gains, dividends, etc) the same.

We have been doing wealth re-distribution since Reagan got into office. That’s why fewer and fewer people have more and more of the money...

So we have a revolving credit balance of xxx billion in a given year and we just reduced our minimum payment?

Some of tax savings will go back into the economy for goods & services, certainly, but no economist was able to make the numbers work out favorably, iirc.  And now there's concern that the impact to the deficit is happening faster than expected -- impacting borrowing rates -- plus, new worries of over inflation?  I dunno man

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/06/investing/dow-jones-tax-cut-inflation-trump/index.html

41 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

I'm not against everyone paying their fair share of taxes.  The question is what is fair?  If the main focus is income re-distribution .... no.  Everyone paying the same %..... yes.

Secretary at a High School, certainly fits the definition of middle class. $6.25 a month pay increase from a bill touted to be "middle class tax relief". 

I was personally for a corporate tax reduction (not necessarily to almost 20%, but not far off). However the messaging for this bill was incredibly dishonest. Many Americans will probably see a marginal increase in take home pay and will feel bilked. Not only that, but a lot of these Republican leaders are totally clueless about what the middle class looks like, and how they've been pinched over the years even when families are finding ways to get moms back to work to pay the bill. To be bragging about stuff like this should say something about the disconnect.

As a Christian, you should be somewhat skeptical of the wealthy, and you should certainly not glamorize the rich (as many conservatives often do). They don't need more advocates, they have a disproportionate amount of influence, far more than your average person. You should be concerned with the poor and marginalized. That doesn't mean that they need institutionalized government programs, but when considering the economic framework holistically, you should consider what your advocacy for "fairness" really looks like. (especially when these things come with cuts to programs helping the poor).

Take a look at some of GK Chesterton's writing and ideas on economic theory.