Best Coaching Job We've Seen In Years

Jonboy

8 minutes ago, scine09 said:

For the 5,000th time.  Robiskie did what Mularkey wanted him to do.  If he hired someone else it would have been the exact same thing.

I think Mularkey's problems were far more than Robiskie.

But don't tell me Robiskie's inability to grasp situational football didn't contribute to many of last year's struggles.

Those spread out formations and Marcus' successes closing out games came straight out of Mularkey's playbook.  The difference we found out half the season later was that Marcus was calling the plays in those situations.

Robiskie was the playcaller and he could have called them at any time.  But he wouldn't and didn't.

I'm glad Mularkey is gone.  But I honestly believe if he had closed the season presser with comments about some staff changes, and improving situational playcalling, and tweaking the offense to better fit the players, he'd still have the job.

But instead he stood there and said all was well and he wasn't gonna change a single damned thing.

And JRob's response was:

Buh-bye dummy.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Props to Vrabel. Down their top 3 tackles, Pro-Bowl TE, and starting QB. He and the staff put together one of the best game plans we've seen in a long time. Well done.

I agreed with every decision and thought the risk/reward was managed perfectly 

That was the best coached game I've seen for this franchise in years.

Posted Images

Just now, TitanDuckFan said:

I think Mularkey's problems were far more than Robiskie.

But don't tell me Robiskie's inability to grasp situational football didn't contribute to many of last year's struggles.

Those spread out formations and Marcus' successes closing out games came straight out of Mularkey's playbook.  The difference we found out half the season later was that Marcus was calling the plays in those situations.

Robiskie was the playcaller and he could have called them at any time.  But he wouldn't and didn't.

I'm glad Mularkey is gone.  But I honestly believe if he had closed the season presser with comments about some staff changes, and improving situational playcalling, and tweaking the offense to better fit the players, he'd still have the job.

But instead he stood there and said all was well and he wasn't gonna change a single damned thing.

And JRob's response was:

Buh-bye dummy.

Mularkey was the head coach.  He could have told Robiskie that they are going to use those plays.  

I give Robiskie pretty much 0% of the blame.

And you think he was going to improve his situational coaching?  Last year was his 5th full season as a head coach and he's been a positional or OC for how many years?  The guy wasn't changing.

5 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Mularkey was the head coach.  He could have told Robiskie that they are going to use those plays.  

And you think he was going to improve his situational coaching?  Last year was his 5th full season as a head coach and he's been a positional or OC for how many years?  The guy wasn't changing.

He didn't call the plays.  He could have moved Robiskie back to receiver's coach and hired an OC that could call plays.

Robiskie admitted in one interview that Mularkey chewed his ass in some post-game meetings over the playcalls.  But Mularkey was more devoted to his friend than he was this team.

And it showed.  Like the way he'd throw players under the bus before himself or his assistants.

He could have taken responsibility for some of those bad routes, but he never did.  "X___Y ran the wrong route" is all he'd say.

Like I said, I'm glad he's gone, and those are some of the biggest reasons for that.

But Mularkey did get these guys' minds right about winning football games, and I think most of them respected him and liked him for that.

There's plenty of good head coaches that aren't great in-game coaches, and that's why they seek out great OCs/DCs.

And there's just no way in hell Robiskie fits that description.  He never should have been promoted above receiver's coach to begin with.

2 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

2 hours ago, scine09 said:

mularkey had a kind of offense he wanted run .... a style of offensive picture, painted from the palette of plays. 

he chose robiskie to run those and they both agreed upon and liked the style. they chose not to alter it as the seasons went on.

sure, there were times robiskie could have picked better plays... but never, ever, ever would it have been kosher to call the spread offense marcus was running as the base offense. 

im still not sure mularkey did anything any random vet coach couldnt do. i think no matter who we pick, we have at least the same record. 

nearly every positive change that occurred was because the roster was vastly improved and the QB had learned how to throw the deep ball better / not fumble inside the pocket.