PFF ranks Titans the 2nd worst defense & Jason McCourty the best corner thru 6 weeks

Face

Just now, Huston said:

The Soxcat quote doesn't say that at all. So one out of how many.

I'm not counting nor am I calling out individual posters. It's just a difference of opinion. I don't care that much about who does or doesn't but there are more than two people who feel like the defense isn't the problem that I think it is. I care about the points differential because successful teams in any sport outscore their opponents. I also am also saying that it's the inconsistency that drives me crazy and that there's still time for the Titans to pull it together.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did you guys not watch him the last three years? He was terrible in this scheme because he simply can’t track the ball over his shoulder. By the end of it teams were literally just throwing the ball a

It's the scheme 

I think as of right no LeBeau is a shoe in to get replaced in the offseason and it's not a lock he makes it through the season. 

Something interesting:   Titans' pass D has allowed 13 TDs, which is tied for 2nd worst in the league.   Their "opposing passer rating" of 93.3 is ranked 24th in the league....also pretty bad.

But in terms of big plays, they've actually been quite effective.   

The Titans D has allowed 14 completions of 20+ yards;  only eight teams have allowed fewer.   They've been even better at limiting home run plays:  the defense has allowed only one completion of 40+ yards, which ranks #1 in the NFL  (Tied with six other teams).

I guess this is the definition of "bend but don't break".    They're stopping most of the big plays...but they're giving up a ton of small ones.  Death by a thousand cuts.

7 minutes ago, nine said:

Something interesting:   Titans' pass D has allowed 13 TDs, which is tied for 2nd worst in the league.   Their "opposing passer rating" of 93.3 is ranked 24th in the league....also pretty bad.

Considering the QBs/offenses they have played this is pitiful

Hopefully he retires so we don't have to embarrass him. I just think his system is not good for the modern NFL. QB's & offenses are too smart to be tricked into making bad plays 99% of the time and the athleticism of the modern QB really negates it as well. It's just an outdated system IMO

No doubt we need a better pass rush. 

50 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I think as of right no LeBeau is a shoe in to get replaced in the offseason and it's not a lock he makes it through the season. 

I never thought I would be on the fire Dick Lebeau train but it's hard to argue with the results.  He simply hasn't been very good and I hope they look elsewhere after the season is over.  

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Mularkey needs to be tough. When they hired him, I was thinking it would be hard to fire someone with so much history and respect if he doesn't work out. 

Seemed risky and the type of move mularkey would let go on too long out of respect. It's actually similar to the Murray situation except DLB doesn't have a stud waiting to take over. 

Mularkey was clearly and uncharacteristically critical of LeBeau's coaching performance after the blowout loss in Houston;  it almost suggested that perhaps they weren't in agreement  on the gameplan, and Mularkey allowed DLB to do it his way...and it obviously failed horribly.

The defense was better the following week, albeit against a much weaker offense...and even then, they lost the game when they couldn't come up with a defensive stop in the final five minutes as the Dolphins ran the ball at will.

We obviously can't know what goes on behind closed doors, but you gotta figure DLB is probably on pretty thin ice.

There are multiple ways to build a defense, but I've been critical on the one we're building here because it doesn't match up with the offense.

For instance, if you have an aggressive pass happy offense that doesn't dominate the clock, your own defense is going to play more downs. They are going to get more tired, and struggle 2nd half. If you go that route, it makes sense to play smaller, faster defenders who won't tire as easily (those big DL/LBs get tired) and who can rush the passer more freely (since you know the opposing offense will have to score to keep up). Investing high draft picks in big DL might not be as valuable if your offense scores quickly because they will wear down from all the reps -- you need a stable of DL then to stay fresh and get to the QB

If you build a clock control, run-heavy offense that tries to control field positioning and wear out teams over the course of a game, then your defense might be different. . Your D won't get as tired because they won't play as many downs, so you can have a bigger and more dynamic DL  You also need athletic talent at LB and secondary because you can't give up big plays and you can't have 3rd down after 3rd down converted -- there has to be dominant talent to shut down an opposing offense for 3 quarters. You can't blitz to create pressure, you need to get it consistently with 4 rushers.

We right now have a clock-control run-focused offense, and a lack of athletic talent on the D. We won't draft big time DL. Did anybody watch Casey? He was single-handedly causing problems for Brisset, but had no support from other pass rushers.

Either invest in the D to match the offense, or decide we are gonna outscore opponents and build a defense that is fast, can pass rush, and can create turnovers on mistakes.

Edited by cenj

10 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

These kind of posts have quite a bit of truth in them but they miss the reality that the team also needed to replace both OTs and drafted two QBs since 2011.  So these generic comments don't specifically address our situation.  Our previous GM also wasted an early 1st on a worthless OG, 2nd round picks on two worthless WRs and another on a worthless RB.  Thus all JRob had to do was rebuild almost the entire OL, RBs and secondary.  But he didn't do it in two drafts?  Really?  Or that ONE guy he could have taken with the Davis pick was going to solve all our problems (yea like Mack does for OAK). 

It is a fair point. It's unfair to expect a total overhaul of the roster in 2 drafts, and JRob has earned some trust and patience. I think now is when we get to see what he's capable of, when he isn't given a treasure trove of picks.

Because this team with Cassel and not Mariota is awful. Not simply mediocre, but bottom of the league terrible. Franchise QBs cure a lot of coaching and roster talent ills. So there is some question as to whether we have coaching issues (DLB), talent issues, or both that are being masked by a true franchise QB.

Edited by cenj

2 minutes ago, Huston said:

The bigger question is who do you replace him with and do you stick with the 3-4. DL wont be fired during the season don't think the titans work that way anymore, isn't he assist head coach or something as well.

He fired his special teams coach last year during the season.. so if it doesn’t get fixed I can see them Firing him.

5 minutes ago, Huston said:

The bigger question is who do you replace him with and do you stick with the 3-4. DL wont be fired during the season don't think the titans work that way anymore, isn't he assist head coach or something as well.

My guess is Lou Spanos takes over he has experience calling plays in UCLA.