Mike Tomlin never gets proper respect.

Number9

52 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I think it is rare for a coach to be a true difference maker either way.  

The GM and QB are way important than the HC. As long as you don't have some idiot like Caldwell or Whiz out there killing the team there isn't a huge difference.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is anyone surprised Scine doesn't like Tomlin? 

I think often people have issues they can't see.  We Americans are programed to be suspicious of black people.  I know because I ask God, why would I be? Pete Carroll is labeled a top coach.  The

This thread is a pointless race bait post. Tag who you are talking about. He doesn't have enough haters to tag the whole community.  And for the record Tomlin looks like Omar Epps.

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The GM and QB are way important than the HC. As long as you don't have some idiot like Caldwell or Whiz out there killing the team there isn't a huge difference.

Absolutely.  I heard someone, I forget who, that was saying that the 4 most important things that a coach does is who he hires to be the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the special teams coach and the OL coach.  I think the person was trying to say that just because someone like Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels has done well as an OC (and McDaniels I don't think has proven a thing but that's another topic) it doesn't mean that he can be a head coach.

That's why it drives me nuts when teams go for the hot coordinator without seemingly any consideration as to how these guys would do as leaders.  To me Mularkey, forgetting his record in other places, is the perfect head coach.  His players respect him, he seems to treat everyone fairly, he's a players coach who will discipline as needed (like with Wright) and doesn't favor his friends on the staff (as we saw with the ST coach and WR coach).  He seems to have an open door policy and values the input of others.  While I am not all that crazy about the offense he chooses to run it's hard for me to really pick on the guy as he has pretty much all the qualities you want in a head coach.  

41 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

McCarthy is the same way.

McCarthy took over a 4-12 team, brought them to 8-8 the next year and then 13-3 before switching to Rodgers - against everyone's suggestion - and dropping to 6-10 to "prove" everyone right.

Been smooth sailing ever since.

8 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

McCarthy took over a 4-12 team, brought them to 8-8 the next year and then 13-3 before switching to Rodgers - against everyone's suggestion - and dropping to 6-10 to "prove" everyone right.

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees...They went to back to back Superbowls 8 years before he became the coach. They had Brett Favre who ended up having one of his best seasons 2007. Then they inserted Arod who was 3 years in the making.

Turn around my ass lol

7 minutes ago, SleepingTitan said:

Talk about not seeing the forest for the trees...They went to back to back Superbowls 8 years before he became the coach. They had Brett Favre who ended up having one of his best seasons 2007. Then they inserted Arod who was 3 years in the making.

Turn around my ass lol

8 years back? lol. Talk about an absurd standard. The Seahawks went to the Superbowl 5 years before Carrol. I guess he didn't rebuild shit either!

Edited by oldschool

17 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Absolutely.  I heard someone, I forget who, that was saying that the 4 most important things that a coach does is who he hires to be the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the special teams coach and the OL coach.  I think the person was trying to say that just because someone like Kyle Shanahan or Josh McDaniels has done well as an OC (and McDaniels I don't think has proven a thing but that's another topic) it doesn't mean that he can be a head coach.

That's why it drives me nuts when teams go for the hot coordinator without seemingly any consideration as to how these guys would do as leaders.  To me Mularkey, forgetting his record in other places, is the perfect head coach.  His players respect him, he seems to treat everyone fairly, he's a players coach who will discipline as needed (like with Wright) and doesn't favor his friends on the staff (as we saw with the ST coach and WR coach).  He seems to have an open door policy and values the input of others.  While I am not all that crazy about the offense he chooses to run it's hard for me to really pick on the guy as he has pretty much all the qualities you want in a head coach.  

Spot on. This is why Fisher has fallen from the rank of the elite when HC lists are put together. He can't put a staff together to save his life.

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

8 years back? lol. Talk about an absurd standard.

Well, they had an awesome team in the late 90s. He took over in 2007? A lot of their team was still intact then, including their HOF QB. And then their next HOF QB. They've always had great receivers, and they had one of the best corps then. A true turnaround IMO is what Harbaugh did in SanFran or Carroll in Seattle. They took shit teams and put together winners. 

Harbaugh inherited a team much like the Titans of 2015. They hadn't been to NFC Championship in like 15 years. They started contending and made a Superbowl. 

Carroll inherited a little better situation, but he still turned chickshit into soup. 

Just now, SleepingTitan said:

Well, they had an awesome team in the late 90s. He took over in 2007? A lot of their team was still intact then, including their HOF QB. And then their next HOF QB. They've always had great receivers, and they had one of the best corps then. A true turnaround IMO is what Harbaugh did in SanFran or Carroll in Seattle. They took shit teams and put together winners. 

Harbaugh inherited a team much like the Titans of 2015. They hadn't been to NFC Championship in like 15 years. They started contending and made a Superbowl. 

Carroll inherited a little better situation, but he still turned chickshit into soup. 

you may want to look at the 49ers roster before harbaugh joined. He didn't inherit a shit roster. the defense was stacked and they had just spent a few years rebuilding their OL. The truth is harbaugh took over a young and upcoming team that was poised to start winning. As for Seattle, you may want to read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot_McCloughan. This is the guy who built both the 49ers and Seahawks teams. 

34 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Reece & dumbass Stillman mentioned this last night. They commented on how Mularkey lets his DC/OC do their thing, and he coaches, makes tough calls. Say it frees up a lot of energy for him to look at the big picture, plus he knows everyone and could hire. McDaniels seems like a punk riding BB coat tails...AHEM Lane Kiffin. Who wants to work for an entitled young prick who turned down an interview for HC?

I wouldn't doubt if BB designed the plays and all the game plan and taught McDaniels some fucking algorithm for calling them. Hell, Tom is the general who decides anyway. So what exactly can McDaniels even hang his hat on? 

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

you may want to look at the 49ers roster before harbaugh joined. He didn't inherit a shit roster. the defense was stacked and they had just spent a few years rebuilding their OL. The truth is harbaugh took over a young and upcoming team that was poised to start winning. As for Seattle, you may want to read this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scot_McCloughan. This is the guy who built both the 49ers and Seahawks teams. 

Yeah I've heard all the credit shifting for both of these guys before. There's a lot to be said about "being in the right place at the right time." 

When it's all said and done, it's a team effort. Kraft, Brady, BB. That's how a dynasty is built. If you take out any piece the other two will falter. To what degree, it's hard to say. I say if you take McCarthy out of GB, they'll still be contenders as long as Arod is healthy. Can't say that about the 49ers. They've gone to shit. 

1 minute ago, SleepingTitan said:

Yeah I've heard all the credit shifting for both of these guys before. There's a lot to be said about "being in the right place at the right time." 

When it's all said and done, it's a team effort. Kraft, Brady, BB. That's how a dynasty is built. If you take out any piece the other two will falter. To what degree, it's hard to say. I say if you take McCarthy out of GB, they'll still be contenders as long as Arod is healthy. Can't say that about the 49ers. They've gone to shit. 

That is the point. These HCs don't turn around bad organizations. It starts at the GM. the 49ers went to shit when McGloughan  left for the Seahawks and Baalke took over. The Seahawks were able to backfill McGloughan with another excellent personnel man which freed up carrol to do his thing. McCarthy is a good coach in a great situation as is Tomlin. They shouldn't be credited with turning around good organization but they aren't along for the ride either.