2012 Presidential Election Thread

TitansGuru

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's happening with the youth vote is remarkable. I think a lot of it is the emergence of social networks. Not only is it turnout but the partisan margin. Democrats are winning at dramatic levels.

The turnout has really been impressive for the Democratic Party. Possibly taking Florida after Romney lead in polls is a real coup. What's clear to me is that the United States has shifted in de

You've got one party who wants to make it more difficult to vote and is even limiting early voting... and people support this blindly... so it'll never happen... that's why.

I think it's clear that it's time to change the way the nation votes. It made some sense to vote on the 2nd Tuesday of November back in the late 18th century. Not any more.

Why not just have a week-long election? Or at least a few days, including the weekend?

At least some states have early voting, which is a huge improvement.

Cyrus they're also voting on reforming the 3 strikes law to only be valid for violent offenders.

It;'s another potential major blow to the drug war. No more locking up someone for life because they caught with drugs 3 times. The vast majority of prisoners serving 3 strikes life terms are in their for drugs including simple possession. This will save the state of California millions and millions of dollars in not locking up non violent criminals for life in addition to wiping away a law that was inhumane.

Why not just have a week-long election? Or at least a few days, including the weekend?

You've got one party who wants to make it more difficult to vote and is even limiting early voting... and people support this blindly... so it'll never happen... that's why.

Cyrus they're also voting on reforming the 3 strikes law to only be valid for violent offenders.

It;'s another potential major blow to the drug war. No more locking up someone for life because they caught with drugs 3 times. The vast majority of prisoners serving 3 strikes life terms are in their for drugs including simple possession. This will save the state of California millions and millions of dollars in not locking up non violent criminals for life in addition to wiping away a law that was inhumane.

Right, I'll also be voting for 36 as well. California has turned the prison system into a huge industry. Yes there's high recidivism rates but the law continues to act as intended with violent crimes. Even if there's only 15-25% or so of offenders who would go on to live normal reformed lives (at minimum, non-violent) then that's well worth it.

We do. Its called early voting. I voted a week or two ago.

Determined by the states and not all states have early (absentee) voting. California has absentee voting but I continue to go to the polls on election day because I enjoy it. I don't think I've missed an election yet regardless of how minor. Of course that's made easier by the sheer number of propositions that California has every couple years.

Determined by the states and not all states have early (absentee) voting. California has absentee voting but I continue to go to the polls on election day because I enjoy it. I don't think I've missed an election yet regardless of how minor. Of course that's made easier by the sheer number of propositions that California has every couple years.

I think early voting will get more and more popular. It was hugely popular this year.

I'm not sure mass early voting or even the concept of an Election week is feasible. Can you imagine if early ballots got out which in turn led to the opposite party flooding the polls to try and alter the counts? I prefer Election day although it should really be a National Holiday, Too many people struggle to vote because they are worried about missing work. It's probably all moot anyway as I'm sure we are not that far away from mobile casting of ballots.

Edited by oldschool

I think early voting will get more and more popular. It was hugely popular this year.

Remember early voting and absentee voting are not the same thing. For instance, Virginia has Absentee voting which means those votes don't get counted unless it's too tight to call. Maryland has true early voting. It's a huge difference that most people have no clue about.