Bipartisan Gun Reform Deal Passes Senate 65-33

tgo

9 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

If the Republicans sink this soft of a bill I could actually see it being a big deal in suburban neighborhoods that swung Republican. I also think the overturning of Roe V Wade will have a bigger impact than most are saying. There are a lot of women who have been assaulted and raped that while conservative are not evangelicals. If you combine the two I think it could become a possible in-road with the suburban white people the Dems have completely fallen out of touch with. 

The Dems have to step back from identity politics and start discussion the fact Republicans have voted against money for children, for schools, for mental health, for common sense gun laws, and even to the point they voted down 28 million for extra baby formula. That is the message forward, one of economic equality alongside protecting our rights. 

Suburban white people are not the issue for dems. Is working rural white voters that are the problem.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ll take what I can get, but it’s going be to some minimal bullshit that won’t really fix the problem and Republicans will claim that they are helping

The best part in my opinion was the boyfriend loophole as well as red flag laws. Not raising the age for AR-15s to 21 is disappointing but it’s still overall a step in the right direction. 

No normal person needs to own a fucking AR-15 or anything similar. And if you think you do, then you are just trying to be a badass or a fucking moron, whichever one suits you the best.   I

10 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

I was the one I was referring to as someone who doesn’t own a gun or like guns……..stop projecting yourself.  I didn’t and don’t care about how many guns you shot in the military……and it’s irrelevant to the topic regardless 

I misread your post though it does come off as that being directed towards me. 

I wasn’t trying to brag or anything as I don’t give a shit how many guns people have been around as long as they respect their abilities to inflict a ton of damage in short order.

And yes, we mostly agree, but you’re incorrect to say the amount of guns overall does not play a major role in whose hands those guns end up in, and that would be the same even in a world where there were a lot stricter gun laws. 

10 hours ago, HammerOfTheHeathens said:

No, guns are tools for killing.  Some guns are tools for killing game.  Many guns are tools for killing people.  Pretending otherwise is how the US got into this mess.

Start with this fact and proper controls can be established, with both licensing and insurance requirements.

But having a loaded gun doesn't equate to killing.  Right or wrong, plenty of people have guns to defend themselves from an attack.  Or in some cases, enjoy target shooting. 

I have zero issue with licensing and insurance requirements, in addition to training certification. 

8 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Just take one look at any other country in the world. Do you think the U.S is the only place with mental health issues?

The U.K had a mass shooting in 1996 and immediately banned all handguns, introduced a buyback scheme for guns and burned them all

There have been 2 major mass shootings since, one which killed 11 or 12 and one last year which killed 5. There are 60x the gun deaths in the U.S than the U.K per year and basically all of those are gang related. It's right in front of your eyes

P.S, Prince Philip was making the same argument as you in 1996. Of course he was completely wrong and was a fucking idiot

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/are-you-going-to-ban-cricket-bats-1315164.html

What the UK or other countries do is somewhat irrelevant because the U.S. will never approve legislation that bans all handguns.  It's a non-starter hence not worth discussing some hypothetical that won't happen. 

The issue is how to restrict the gun ownership to certified, trained, law abiding citizens and mitigate the loopholes that allow mentally unhinged/sinister people from getting access to guns.  Some is regulatory and some falls on personal responsibility/accountability.  In almost every case of a mass murder, it comes out that the person was derailing and nobody did anything about it.

4 hours ago, oldschool said:

Win for Biden my ass.

Yeah, they have no idea what to do to make his approval go up.

When the infrastructure deal passed his approval ratings did not change. They stayed at 43% for the next month. His disapproval numbers actually went up 1-2% in that next month lol.

I'll be surprised if this bill does anything for his ratings.

1 hour ago, tgo said:

You forgetting the fact that they have a filibuster? 

Would it look better for Biden politically to not get anything done at all? 

I don't think that would matter either. There's just not many voters who will change their mind about Biden based on this bill passing or not passing. 

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

I don't think that would matter either. There's just not many voters who will change their mind about Biden based on this bill passing or not passing. 

Maybe some truth to that - but part of Biden’s core coalition in the primary was anti gun activists (like Fred Guttenberg) and that was something he campaigned on heavily, so he has to be seen as doing *something* on guns or that coalition of vocal activists could turn on him at some point. 

Edited by tgo

• tgo changed the title to Bipartisan Gun Reform Deal Passes Senate 65-33