Bipartisan Gun Reform Deal Passes Senate 65-33

tgo

I’m all for making the access to guns far more stringent and restrictive.  And better mental health access but I’m realistic there - access there isn’t an issue it’s denial of the person or their family and friends to get them help.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ll take what I can get, but it’s going be to some minimal bullshit that won’t really fix the problem and Republicans will claim that they are helping

The best part in my opinion was the boyfriend loophole as well as red flag laws. Not raising the age for AR-15s to 21 is disappointing but it’s still overall a step in the right direction. 

No normal person needs to own a fucking AR-15 or anything similar. And if you think you do, then you are just trying to be a badass or a fucking moron, whichever one suits you the best.   I

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Spoken like someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about. This should be a federally regulated system, one in which every gun owner should have to maintain a license to own one and have extensive training before owning one. 

I own plenty of guns and would lay money says you’re a lot older than I am and have not shot the types of guns I have, including full auto during a training course with the FBI. As always, stop projecting. 

Wrong.  I have no issue with extensive background checks, training, and licensing of guns.  Most responsible gun owners don’t either.  

Its access to guns.  Not guns.  As I SAID…..

7 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

As long as the ones legally owned are not forcefully removed I would be okay with this. I can also understand why there is a different path of making it extremely difficult to own and maintain that would also be helpful to stopping these situations as well as a ton of the gun violence on the street. 

Still, the fact remains most gun violence is from handguns. That’s a fact. It isn’t just the specific weapon; it’s the overall availability of the weapons, how easy they are to sell on secondary markets, and how there is literally zero regulation on how one can maintain the right to own one besides becoming a felon, which then goes into the loop of the secondary market and how easy they are to attain. 

Fair enough pal. Needs to be ways to make guns not as easy to own; but I will still say I don't think a normal person needs to own an assault rifle and I will always think that. Same goes that it seems to be way too easy to buy body armor also.

And yeah handguns are obviously an issue also. In general it is great to reform how legally people are able to get guns, but as you say the secondhand market, black market, etc I'm not sure the way to deal with that. Their are so so many unlicensed firearms out there that uf someone wants a gun bad enough they can find one.Especially in large urban places like Chicago, Detroit, etc.

400 million guns in this country and I’m being told their prevalence isn’t a part of the problem. Get real. 

Now, how to handle that situation is another matter entirely, but to act as if them existing to such a large number isn’t playing a major role is beyond stupid. 

1 minute ago, BigErn said:

Fair enough pal. Needs to be ways to make guns not as easy to own; but I will still say I don't think a normal person needs to own an assault rifle and I will always think that. Same goes that it seems to be way too easy to buy body armor also.

And yeah handguns are obviously an issue also. In general it is great to reform how legally people are able to get guns, but as you say the secondhand market, black market, etc I'm not sure the way to deal with that. Their are so so many unlicensed firearms out there that uf someone wants a gun bad enough they can find one.Especially in large urban places like Chicago, Detroit, etc.

For sure, and just to state I wasn’t using the bullshit counter of ‘handguns are worse!’. I was merely stating the fact gun violence in this country is out of control and getting rid of AR type rifles won’t stop it. 

I would have no problem with a ban. I would even give up mine to a place in storage similar to how they do it in Canada. My opposition would be making it criminal to own one for people who legally purchased one. First off that’s against the Constitution as ex-post-facto law. At the same time I think it would be a war if something like that ever passed, which it won’t. 

Outlawing further ownership of assault weapons and forcing known owners to become part of a database where they can be regulated is something I could see possibly happen in the distant future. 

2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It does on your ridiculous statement about my history with guns or what I think about them. Stop projecting all the damn time and have a conversation. 

Wrong.  Your history with guns is irrelevant.  

The issue with guns is controlling access - through the methods you mentioned and I agree with.

You could have 5 trillion guns and if access was properly restricted and regulated, the supply of guns would be a non issue.

and if people properly identified their mentally ill family members instead of pretending their fine, you’d have less nut jobs shooting up schools.  

32 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

Wrong.  Your history with guns is irrelevant.  

The issue with guns is controlling access - through the methods you mentioned and I agree with.

You could have 5 trillion guns and if access was properly restricted and regulated, the supply of guns would be a non issue.

and if people properly identified their mentally ill family members instead of pretending their fine, you’d have less nut jobs shooting up schools.  

My history with guns is of course irrelevant. Your statement about my history with guns was incorrect and so was corrected. Follow along. 

1 hour ago, BudsOilers said:

Wrong.  I have no issue with extensive background checks, training, and licensing of guns.  Most responsible gun owners don’t either.  

Its access to guns.  Not guns.  As I SAID…..

@BudsOilers come on man this is ridiculous hair splitting.

Yes it's the guns, they are devices designed to make killing other people easy.  It's a physical object that makes homicide as easy as lifting a finger.  There's no such thing as a safe gun.

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

My history with guns is of course irrelevant. Your statement about my history with guns was incorrect and so was corrected. Follow along. 

I was the one I was referring to as someone who doesn’t own a gun or like guns……..stop projecting yourself.  I didn’t and don’t care about how many guns you shot in the military……and it’s irrelevant to the topic regardless 

23 minutes ago, HammerOfTheHeathens said:

@BudsOilers come on man this is ridiculous hair splitting.

Yes it's the guns, they are devices designed to make killing other people easy.  It's a physical object that makes homicide as easy as lifting a finger.  There's no such thing as a safe gun.

Disagree.  It’s people using guns to kill rather than defend.  It’s a people problem 

If guns went away, people would create another weapon to have the same type of scalability.  

the issue at hand is to access that ensures proper background checks, training certification, etc.

1 hour ago, BudsOilers said:

Disagree.  It’s people using guns to kill rather than defend.  It’s a people problem 

If guns went away, people would create another weapon to have the same type of scalability.  

the issue at hand is to access that ensures proper background checks, training certification, etc.

No, guns are tools for killing.  Some guns are tools for killing game.  Many guns are tools for killing people.  Pretending otherwise is how the US got into this mess.

Start with this fact and proper controls can be established, with both licensing and insurance requirements.

Edited by HammerOfTheHeathens

3 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

Just take one look at any other country in the world. Do you think the U.S is the only place with mental health issues?

The U.K had a mass shooting in 1996 and immediately banned all handguns, introduced a buyback scheme for guns and burned them all

There have been 2 major mass shootings since, one which killed 11 or 12 and one last year which killed 5. There are 60x the gun deaths in the U.S than the U.K per year and basically all of those are gang related. It's right in front of your eyes

P.S, Prince Philip was making the same argument as you in 1996. Of course he was completely wrong and was a fucking idiot

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/are-you-going-to-ban-cricket-bats-1315164.html

• tgo changed the title to Bipartisan Gun Reform Deal Passes Senate 65-33