Manchin considering leaving Democratic Party

luvyablue256

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Manchin became a Republican, he'd have zero power because being a Republican means you always do what you're told and nobody steps out of line.

If Manchin left the Democratic Party he would just become another fish in a 100 person pond. Being a Democrat gives him an absurd amount of leverage and input into the Democratic Party, and something

Manchin has all the leverage in the world right now. The idea he could gain more by threatening to leave the party makes no sense at all. 

1 hour ago, TitansPDO said:

If Manchin left the Democratic Party he would just become another fish in a 100 person pond. Being a Democrat gives him an absurd amount of leverage and input into the Democratic Party, and something else he truly relishes: media attention. It's not happening any time soon. 

Not really.   If he joined the Republicans they would be in control of the Senate, a possible promise of more power, and he would still be able to be a wrench on the Republicans side.

Btw, Manchin said the report is "bullshit".

Edited by Little Earl

I don't think he would become a Republican.

I also don't think we're in the universe where he's leaving due to this negotiation. They're negotiating and he's basically getting everything he wanted.

In a world where they were playing hardball and the entire agenda collapsed or he felt like he was being pressured too hard then he'd leave IMO.

There's no reason for him to leave, even if he leaves but still caucuses with the Democrats, when he's getting everything he wants.

4 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I also don't think we're in the universe where he's leaving due to this negotiation. They're negotiating and he's basically getting everything he wanted.

In a world where they were playing hardball and the entire agenda collapsed or he felt like he was being pressured too hard then he'd leave IMO.

There's no reason for him to leave, even if he leaves but still caucuses with the Democrats, when he's getting everything he wants.

exactly. Manchin is a lot of things, stupid when it comes to political plays isn't one of them. He has more power than he's ever had before and is literally driving down the BBB bill to force it into alignment with his views. why would he give that up?

4 hours ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

He might as well. He's a corrupt POS. He's no help to the Dems now

Yeah, let’s just give McConnell veto power over judges, the debt ceiling, nominations, the CR, etc. 

No big deal. 

Manchin won’t leave though. 

2 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Nah, what Manchin really wants is no bill at all. 

So he is compromising. 

4 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

If Manchin became a Republican, he'd have zero power because being a Republican means you always do what you're told and nobody steps out of line.

......and love him or not that is not Joe Manchin.

7 hours ago, Starkiller said:

And it wouldn’t help him win re-election in WV. He would just get primaried by a Trumper.

On paper that sounds like it would happen but Manchin is too known and popular there for conventional wisdom to apply so easily. 

7 hours ago, Titans279 said:

People are pretty dumb. I think not having a D by his name would help for a lot of people.

And at some point, the party has to grapple and reckon with WHY. 

This is a major problem for a party. 18% of the country elects 52 Senators. You have to be able to find some kind of statewide juice in as many states as possible. 

17 hours ago, oldschool said:

Manchin has all the leverage in the world right now. The idea he could gain more by threatening to leave the party makes no sense at all. 

Not only that, but if he does leave to become an independent, he would be outed as a liar.  His margins are small in WVa.  He can't afford to further piss off any democrats.