Biden White House: Year 4

tgo

34 minutes ago, oldschool said:

This is the likely outcome. That means they will get at most 3 bills passed, Government funding notwithstanding,  before the 2022 midterms. Will that be enough for Democrat voters?

Can't do policy changes under reconciliation, only the money.  That means no voting rights, DACA, minimum wage increase, etc.

Edit:  minimum wage increase might actually fit under reconciliation due to budget impact.  Reading that it's debatable and would be up to the parlimentarian or maybe Harris.

Edited by ctm

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No I don't think that has anything to do with super rich. It is the top 1.8% of income earners though.    Also if you think the proposals to raise the taxes on people making that much are ex

A couple of years ago, I was  late for a conference call with colleagues in Germany and India. After joining the call and apologizing for being late. Someone from India said, "just be like Trump and s

Voter ID isn't the big issue. The big issue is state law proposals that allow state legislatures to overrule the vote in elections and that take power away from the state's secretaries of state as wel

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, ctm said:

One other thing that I took from Schumer's comments when he said they learned their lesson from 2009:

What is implied, but not stated, is the lesson from the 2010 midterms.  Democrats go wiped out.  Their margins now are as close as it gets.  They could easily, easily lose one or both houses in 2022.  They have no choice but to deliver now.

A lot of 2010 was due to no superstar being on the ballots to excite liberals who typically have to be coerced into voting if there's no popular figure. It also didn't help that Obama and the DNC miscalculated by not fortifying state parties after 2008. They took the big wins in 2008 for granted. 

https://www.npr.org/2016/03/04/469052020/the-democratic-party-got-crushed-during-the-obama-presidency-heres-why

Now, Biden and Jamie Harrison are looking to avoid that by taking things more seriously, but I'm not confident in Dems being able to avoid purple House district losses. I think we'll have a GOP House and a Dem Senate in 2022, as the Senate map is more favorable. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/12/joe-biden-plan-midterms-shellacking-458316

2 hours ago, luvyablue256 said:

They didn't filibuster a bunch of bills. They simply didn't bring them to the floor because McConnell controlled the calendar. Schumer now controls what hits the floor. 

I’m not talking about when McConnell was majority leader. He didn’t need the filibuster then. 

When Harry Reid was majority leader and McConnell was in the minority they tried to use the filibuster on every piece of legislation of any consequence whatsoever. 

They also used it to block appointments, which McConnell promptly blocked Dems from doing when Trump got elected. 

4 minutes ago, ctm said:

The House is preparing now to do a reconciliation bill in next few weeks with covid funding.

I'd really like to know what the bills looks like if they remove the 15 min wage (non starter imo) and make the stimulus checks targeted. Would it garner the 10 votes needed from Republicans? If the answer is no then reconciliation makes sense.

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I'd really like to know what the bills looks like if they remove the 15 min wage (non starter imo) and make the stimulus checks targeted. Would it garner the 10 votes needed from Republicans? If the answer is no then reconciliation makes sense.

Biden has said he is willing to raise the upper limit for stimulus checks to 300K in the hopes of getting republican votes, but he is willing to negotiate it.

8 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

20 hours ago Biden said he expected it to take a couple weeks to try to negotiate before going to reconciliation. These negotiations were shorter than the Jedi-Trade Federation negotiations over Naboo.

You again? lol. The House signaled they could start down a parallel  path using reconciliation while Biden tries to get bipartisan support. why wait until after the negotiations fall apart if you don't have to? It also puts pressure on GOP Senators to defend why they are not onboard with covid relief, especially those up for reelection in 2022.

They might as well start the process. 

Bring a COVID stimulus bill up for a vote. Let the GOP filibuster it, as they will almost certainly do. Maybe bring up another bill with popular support to get filibustered.

Then bring up the reconciliation bill if/when the GOP has blocked all other options.

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You again? lol. The House signaled they could start down a parallel  path using reconciliation while Biden tries to get bipartisan support. why wait until after the negotiations fall apart if you don't have to? It also puts pressure on GOP Senators to defend why they are not onboard with covid relief, especially those up for reelection in 2022.

In addition, the threat of a reconciliation bill gives the congressional democrats leverage.

As in.....negotiate in good faith with us or we will do it entirely our way.  Your choice.

27 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I thought it was a good joke!

• tgo changed the title to Biden White House: Year 4