Ringer Article: Titans Switch to Tannehill Most Important Move of the Year

Jonboy

I find Robert Mays to have possibly the least amount of meaningful insight among all of the major national columnists and podcasters. Other than Simmons’ podcast, The Ringer lacks analytical talent. Also, this article is motivated by his desire to see the Bears bring in competition for Trubisky. 

I listened to Mayes all year and he's been off on the Titans all year and this portion of the article is most def off:

When teams make significant commitments to players, they tend to ride them out, even if plenty of evidence points to another conclusion. Take the Blake Bortles debacle in Jacksonville from a few years back, or the situation now unfolding with Mitchell Trubisky in Chicago. Instead of sticking with Mariota just for the sake of doing it, though, Robinson decided that competition at quarterback was necessary. It didn’t matter that bringing an established name like Tannehill to Nashville might upset Mariota’s standing within the locker room.

The Titans most def did stick with Mariota through 2-4 for the sake of doing it, there wasn't a QB competition and they were most def worried about upsetting Mariota and his standing among the locker room.  Robinson went out of his way to make sure everyone knew there wasn't a competition and RT was the back-up and Mariota had to completely bomb out and the season went to brink before they made the switch. 

Everyone knows that highlighted portion is off 

With the NFL being such a copycat league, it'll be interesting to see whether the Titans' success with Tannehill this year inspires other teams to bring in competition for young, inconsistent QBs rather than waiting for them to grow out of it.

7 minutes ago, nine said:

With the NFL being such a copycat league, it'll be interesting to see whether the Titans' success with Tannehill this year inspires other teams to bring in competition for young, inconsistent QBs rather than waiting for them to grow out of it.

Teams already replaced 1st round flops and will continue to do so.

Rarely will they hit gold like the Titans did with Tannehill though

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I listened to Mayes all year and he's been off on the Titans all year and this portion of the article is most def off:

When teams make significant commitments to players, they tend to ride them out, even if plenty of evidence points to another conclusion. Take the Blake Bortles debacle in Jacksonville from a few years back, or the situation now unfolding with Mitchell Trubisky in Chicago. Instead of sticking with Mariota just for the sake of doing it, though, Robinson decided that competition at quarterback was necessary. It didn’t matter that bringing an established name like Tannehill to Nashville might upset Mariota’s standing within the locker room.

The Titans most def did stick with Mariota through 2-4 for the sake of doing it, there wasn't a QB competition and they were most def worried about upsetting Mariota and his standing among the locker room.  Robinson went out of his way to make sure everyone knew there wasn't a competition and RT was the back-up and Mariota had to completely bomb out and the season went to brink before they made the switch. 

The Titans stuck with Mariota longer than we thought they should but it still wasn't longer than teams usually do. This is why the writer and there NFL community at large is giving Vrabel tons of credit for the move. In the end, we made the AFC championship game and made those early loses essentially irrelevant. Also, I agree with you about the team doing everything possible to prevent even there appearance of competition for Mariota but it's likely that behind the scenes, the players knew the deal. You just don't bring in another starting quality QB if the team has full faith in the starter. 

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

Not if @BudAdams gets a vote.  Maybe 3rd runner up.

My guess is that John Lynch will win it.  The Titans didn’t even win their division because of them sticking with the inferior player too long.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Exactly.  It completely glosses over how bad Mariota has been prior to 2019 and that the team damn well knew Tannehill was better.  

I'm tired of the debate honestly. I said when they acquired Tannehill he'd be the starter by week 5 (to Kuharsky)and posted I even thought the team might be hiding the fact he could be the week 1 starter. Fans that thought otherwise were in denial or just clueless. I also thought if anyone had a breakout it would be Tannehill, he had shown more real QB qualities in the past

Regardless of how long it took to make the move the team overcame the 2-4 start and are in the AFC title game, ultimately it doesn't matter. Had they missed the playoffs it would have been a bigger deal. Imagine this team not in the playoffs? The sin is forgiven. 

I believe Vrabel is an excellent head coach and I think Robinson is a very good team builder. Yes he got lucky getting Tannehill to a degree but so did GB, Seattle and NE getting their QBs and many other teams. 

The case is closed from my perspective 

Archived