Titans 1 of 4 teams without an analytics staff...

titanruss

6 hours ago, Thrill said:

20 analytics guys asking for 200 k is still less than what Dions Lewis is making right now. I don’t think AAS is that cheap.

Cheap is relative in this world. 

‘The Bengals paid AJ Green a ton of money. I don’t think they’re cheap!’

Edited by japan

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jesus... we really are determined to invite a Skynet-style scenario upon ourselves, aren't we? Or worse, what if like in War Games the machine decides the team sucks too much and just forfeits in the

The guy stating this already corrected it about Detroit (run also by NE disciples).   There's no doubt that the Titans use analytics whether they have a special department for it or not. 

This pretty much describes every passing play in the Titans playbook.

Jrob clearly likes analytics. Its dumb to fixate on the fact the team doesnt have have analytic staff. Did anyone not read how the Patriots do it? The staff is expected to incorporate analytics into their day to day tasks. If they need to they can always outsource it. This is a nonstory.

Edited by oldschool

It's a story, it's weird given past statements by Robinson and Vrabel.  Competitive advantages are not things to outsource.  It doesn't make sense... and smells more like classic Adams family stuff.

Edited by patsplat

13 minutes ago, patsplat said:

It's a story, it's weird given past statements by Robinson and Vrabel.  Competitive advantages are not things to outsource.  It doesn't make sense... and smells more like classic Adams family stuff.

You work in tech. Everything is on the table for outsourcing. Again we all know jrob believes in analytics as do the Patriots. Neither have analytic staffs. This is a story grounded in nothing.

13 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You work in tech. Everything is on the table for outsourcing. Again we all know jrob believes in analytics as do the Patriots. Neither have analytic staffs. This is a story grounded in nothing.

Hasn’t he made some poor decisions that would make us think he either doesn’t have or ignores the analytics?

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

There's a quote in Accelerate, a book I'm reading right now:

We discovered that low performers were more likely to say that the software they were building -- or the set of services they had to interact with -- was custom software developed by another company (e.g., an outsourcing partner).

https://itrevolution.com/book/accelerate/

Strategic capabilities should never be outsourced.  Play-calling is pretty important to a football team's success.

It's more likely that Robinson and Vrabel consider filling out a framework in Excel to be "analytics." I doubt they are embracing data but not investing in it.

Patriots can get away with it because Belichick has more coaching experience than anyone else, especially when you include his childhood as a coach's son.

Everybody else could benefit.

Edited by patsplat

Seems like we use some analytics but not much and people think we should use more. How that’s a non story isn’t apparent to me. 

The SI article says we hired two scouting assistants with analytics experience as their evidence we value it. That’s definitely not using it to the extent a lot of teams are. 

8 minutes ago, patsplat said:

There's a quote in Accelerate, a book I'm reading right now:

We discovered that low performers were more likely to say that the software they were building -- or the set of services they had to interact with -- was custom software developed by another company (e.g., an outsourcing partner).

https://itrevolution.com/book/accelerate/

Strategic capabilities should never be outsourced.  Play-calling is pretty important to a football team's success.

It's more likely that Robinson and Vrabel consider filling out a framework in Excel to be "analytics." I doubt they are embracing data but not investing in it.

Patriots can get away with it because Belichick has more coaching experience than anyone else, especially when you include his childhood as a coach's son.

Everybody else could benefit.

Lol. That's an absurd statement. Although I admit I work for a cloud provider so could be biased.

As for the rest come on. You are projecting. Jrob has said he believes in analytics and uses them. Just because the team doesnt have some nerd with a title of chief analytics officer doesnt mean the team doesnt embrace the concept. 

12 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Lol. That's an absurd statement. Although I admit I work for a cloud provider so could be biased.

As for the rest come on. You are projecting. Jrob has said he believes in analytics and uses them. Just because the team doesnt have some nerd with a title of chief analytics officer doesnt mean the team doesnt embrace the concept. 

The quote (and everything else in the book) comes from data.  Note that integration with products, ie third party non custom software, is fine.  The book is pretty well researched, and I mention it because you brought up tech.

I'm sure JRob gets value out of his spreadsheets but I doubt he's firing up Tensorflow and PySpark.

Edited by patsplat

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I think we use some but aren’t embracing it. I think a Bill Barnwell or ESPN article classified us as one foot in or something. 

They should go ahead and jump in. The water’s fine!

21 hours ago, oldschool said:

Jrob clearly likes analytics. Its dumb to fixate on the fact the team doesnt have have analytic staff. Did anyone not read how the Patriots do it? The staff is expected to incorporate analytics into their day to day tasks. If they need to they can always outsource it. This is a nonstory.

The pats have a savant dedicated on staff to analytics and finding loopholes in the games and rules. teams have game managers in the HCs ear telling them the odds on plays and when to go for it, etc.

we either have neither or we do have a manager that Vrabel completely ignores - making him an idiot. 

its a big story.