titanruss

Titans 1 of 4 teams without an analytics staff...

Didnt vrable say at some point they have a guy for this and thats ehy he went for a 4thdown at somepoint?

From what I can remember there isa guy up in the box crunching numbers and he tells vrable by mic when the numbers say he shpuld do something 1 way.

I actually think it's conceivable in the near future to have play calling done by machine learning. I don't know if the league would allow it, but it's not a far fetched idea based on technology that's already available. This actually wouldn't be a hard ML problem.

22 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

I actually think it's conceivable in the near future to have play calling done by machine learning. I don't know if the league would allow it, but it's not a far fetched idea based on technology that's already available. This actually wouldn't be a hard ML problem.

This is interesting, is it something the league could even stop OC's from doing?  Using AI is possible, partly because there is tons of training data available to train a model.

Also, I wouldn't get wrapped up on not having analytics personnel on staff.  This is something you could easily outsource to consultants without hiring an FTE.  I trust that JRob is incorporating this into their decision making process....

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

WTF... Why?

What an embarrassment. 

That has got to be on AAS as Vrabel was supposedly a big proponent of analytics.

43 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

Jesus... we really are determined to invite a Skynet-style scenario upon ourselves, aren't we? Or worse, what if like in War Games the machine decides the team sucks too much and just forfeits in the middle of the game?

Come on, now. Let's keep some decision making shit for our analog asses and stop trying so hard to jump the shark.

From an article in 2017:

TENNESSEE TITANS

GM Jon Robinson has set this up very much in the image of the Patriots’ operation—scouts and coaches are responsible for integrating data into the work. And the belief in Nashville holds that the data has been effective in making the personnel staff and coaches more efficient, and creating a backstop against decisions when the scouting and analytics don’t match up. So are they believers? Enough so to the point where two scouting assistants with analytics backgrounds were recently hired.

Since the Patriots are referenced in the Titans section, here's what they do:

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

The Kraft family’s business-driven approach to running a franchise encompasses analytics—evident by the advent of the Jessica Gelman-led Kraft Analytics group—and the team has been analytics-heavy in cap management since they bought the team. Bill Belichick uses 64-year-old ex-Wall Street trader Ernie Adams in that area. And while the team is seen as an innovator, it’s not like there’s a large football analytics staff. Rather, the coaches and scouts are all responsible for integrating data provided for them into their work. Belichick is known for giving members of his football staff projects that would fall under the analytics heading.

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/06/28/nfl-analytics-front-office-old-school-approach-draft-game-planning-charting

56 minutes ago, TF_Titan said:

This is horrible & when sports would just stop becoming fun. I admit I tend to be a bit reactionary with technology but machines calling plays? I think I’d lose interest at that point. 

1 minute ago, japan said:

Sounds like the tweet was wrong or that AAS cut any analytics staff that JRob wanted?

The tweet basically said the guy didn't know which 4 teams didn't have in house analytic staffs and yet Russ couldn't post it fast enough.

The guy stating this already corrected it about Detroit (run also by NE disciples).

There's no doubt that the Titans use analytics whether they have a special department for it or not. 

This is just a fan boy lashing out at the team with faux outrage to question the credibility of the organization and we all know why.