Sounds like they are going to be very cautious with Delanie during Training Camp

This little pre-training camp nugget is from today's MMQB Column.

9. And one more note from Delanie Walker: The tight end said he doesn’t know if he’ll begin training camp on the PUP list, less than a year removed from the serious ankle injury that ended his 2018 season. “I’ll leave that up to the coaches,” he said. After leaving last year’s season opener with an injury that required an air cast, Walker returned to the field during the Titans' OTAs and felt good about his progress. “Just stepping on the field, running routes and doing drills, that was the biggest [hurdle],” he said. “I had only been running for two weeks, and being able to run routes against guys, and beating them.” Walker sat out the June mini-camp and it sounds like he’s expecting the team to ease him into training camp—whether that means starting on the PUP list or not. “We have great coaches and training staff,” he said. “They’re probably not going to let me hit the ground running like I want to, but I look forward to getting into my groove.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/08/anthony-lynn-chargers-tanzania-jadeveon-clowney-texans-nfl-offseason

I wonder if Smith will be ready? Either way it's not a bad thing for the younger guys to get more reps with the 1st team. Walker is playing his last season regardless and they need to prepare to replace him.

8 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I wonder if Smith will be ready? Either way it's not a bad thing for the younger guys to get more reps with the 1st team. Walker is playing his last season regardless and they need to prepare to replace him.

Could be a heavy dose of MyCole Pruitt/Anthony Firkser/Ryan Hewitt early in Training Camp and PSG1/2.

Certainly not the end of the world if Delanie doesn't play much in the preseason, hopefully by the time PSG3 rolls around Walker/Smith are a full go.

Will be interesting to see if Conklin and Smith are a full go when training camp rolls around in 2.5 weeks.

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

This. 

I know we are hoping he returns to form, but you can’t hedge your bets on that. 

Good. He is the person that is least important in needing those reps

Jonnu and others getting the extra practice with the line and QB will do much more than Mariota not being able to get some reps with the player he already has the most chemistry with

18 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

We’ll be lucky if Smith plays 8 games...

7 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Walker wasn't good in 2017?  PFF had him ranked #3 prior to the 2018 season.  

I didn't say he wasn't good but he definitely was not great.  YPC and TD were down and he had some uncharacteristically bad drops and decisions that I don't remember seeing prior. 

Add in the age and coming off injury factors plus adds at WR and I don't know if he'll be putting up 65-70 catches for 800 yards anymore.

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

I didn't say he wasn't good but he definitely was not great.  YPC and TD were down and he had some uncharacteristically bad drops and decisions that I don't remember seeing prior. 

Add in the age and coming off injury factors plus adds at WR and I don't know if he'll be putting up 65-70 catches for 800 yards anymore.

he had a broken wrist. if you watched the games again you'd see it was taped up pretty heavy and was the direct cause of about 3 TD drops among several other drops. several times, ball his way or not, youd see him shaking it out in pain.

his speed looked a slight step slower but the cause for the stat drop was the hand/wrist. 

but yeah, i dont expect much from delanie.. or jonnu. 

TE and the center/right side of the oline are the biggest unknowns going into the season. 

its a good thing we got humphries and brown to take those slot and dumpoffs because we cant count on the TEs to do it. 

I thought Delanie was going to start to decline back after 2016 season...I felt as though I was wrong on that one.

I ain't gonna question him again till I see actual proof on the field.  Wouldn't surprise me to see him have a good year.

Archived