Legaltitan

OFFICIAL Biden thread, since it looks like he's getting in

I like having one global for all the candidates, and then one for certain individuals but y'all feel free to merge if you think we should.

Positives: experienced, knowledgeable, tied to Obama, can talk to the middle class, can trade blows with Trump, seems like a positive guy, passes the "would you want to drink a beer with him" test

Negatives: old (will be 78! at the time of innaguration) experienced, tied to Obama, will trade blows with Trump, a gaffe machine, has seemed inappropriately handsy at times

Thoughts?

Unfortunately for the Dems he might be the best they have.  Maybe he could choose Pelosi as his running mate.  Then we can have the most comical and geriatric running mates in the history of the country. 

I predict he starts strong and then fades as he realizes the energy isn't out there for him and that people are far more in love with the memories and idea of him than him as a candidate. We'll see though, in terms of name recognition he's far an away the strongest. 

5 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

We'll see though, in terms of name recognition he's far an away the strongest. 

His name recognition is essentially the same as Bernie’s in the polls I’ve seen. 

30 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

His name recognition is essentially the same as Bernie’s in the polls I’ve seen. 

Bernie has certainly closed the gap with all voters but Biden is still the most well-known among likely democratic voters from what I've seen. The establishment loves them some Biden, I just don't think the grassroots feel the same way.

Unfortunately for him, I think his time passed after 2008. He would be a formidable candidate from a knowledge POV, but I think his age would be used against him hard.

He also has an extensive voting record on things that are unpopular today. Even if he has thanked positions on some things, the voting record still shows that at one point he held different opinions, and, unfortunately, if there is one thing we have learned, politicians are not allowed to evolve and change opinions over time. 

I also think #MeToo would do him in a bit.

Edited by TitansFan777

I’ll be making a donation to his campaign as soon as it is announced and will throw my support behind him. 

Beto O’Rourke may end up being my second choice in the end though. 

One thing that irks me about Biden is that he is not a proponent of legalizing marijuana.

Apparently he supports “decriminalizing” it, but had called it a “gateway” drug. I think he’s behind the times on this issue. 

Edited by tgo

10 hours ago, tgo said:

One thing that irks me about Biden is that he is not a proponent of legalizing marijuana.

Apparently he supports “decriminalizing”

it, but had called it a “gateway” drug. I think he’s behind the times on this issue. 

I think as he gets scrutinized, Biden will end up this way on a lot of issues.

It's not really that he is too moderate for the Democratic Party. Marijuana legalization, for example, doesn't break down that way necessarily. Plenty on the right and even far right that support legalization. Biden's problem is more generational than where he falls on the left-right spectrum. And this issue demonstrates it. I bet there are others that do as well. Support for the Iraq war and other military conflicts is another.

That's a liability Trump doesn't have. He's also an old guy, but being in the entertainment and pop culture industry has allowed him to keep his finger on the pulse of generational changes.

1 minute ago, Legaltitan said:

I think as he gets scrutinized, Biden will end up this way on a lot of issues.

It's not really that he is too moderate for the Democratic Party. Marijuana legalization, for example, doesn't break down that way necessarily. Plenty on the right and even far right that support legalization. Biden's problem is more generational than where he falls on the left-right spectrum. And this issue demonstrates it. I bet there are others that do as well. Support for the Iraq war and other military conflicts is another.

That's a liability Trump doesn't have. He's also an old guy, but being in the entertainment and pop culture industry has allowed him to keep his finger on the pulse of generational changes.

To the Iraq War point, he did end up supporting it eventually but voted against it in the Senate initially and spent a lot of time and political capital railing against it and the Bush admin. 

You’re probably right that other issues will pop up that will coincide with this problem (esp if pundits and reporters and leftists keep giving him a really rough time!) 

But even so, I think he’s the right person to right this ship. Restore leadership globally, restore the strength and bureaucracies of our institutions, restore faith in government, restore a level of unity. Even the red hats (Trump populists) won’t be able to totally hate him, even if they disagree with his policies. 

Talk to me about policy in 2024. I want to win back the Senate and the White House, and to restore general facets of government with a long time insider and master of Washington and to wipe away the stink Trump and his cartel. Everything else is secondary in my mind. 

I think a simple message of normalcy, civility, rule of law, truth, leadership wins this election. 

Medicare for All and taxing the rich and free college and all that is just noise. 

When is Jamal going to crack down on these threads? So we can have 15 threads for each moron democrat who runs? Biden is running!!!! Beto is running!!!! Who gives a flying fuck? 

20 hours ago, Oilertattoo said:

Biden will take no shit from Trump.

Yeah eh is a real bad dude. 🤣