Sign in to follow this  
Legaltitan

Anyone else here a Freemason?

Chef

Can't speak for Tennessee in terms 70s and for sure in the south 99% of masons are Christian but I feel pretty confident in saying it has not been an official requirement to be Christian at any time. One of the first masons in Georgia was a jew and some of the very highest positioned masons in Georgia are Jews. Now anyone applying to join a lodge must be unanimously improved by those members so this could be a way in which non Christians are kept out of some lodges. 

Catholics are free to join too as far as we are concerned. No one in my little country lodge would care about that or really any other religion. I told my guys i had a muslim friend that might want to join and no one batted an eyelash. Can't say that would be true in every lodge. 

The problem for catholics is on the other end - a Pope many years ago officially denounced masons and I think declared it apostate to the church.

Interestingly masons have been accused of being controlled by Jews by názis answer in other times and places. They have often been persecuted together. 

Now ritual is a big part ofmasonry. It is how the symbolism is communicated. I mean ritual in a general sense. 

abenjami   

It could certainly be different in Georgia but out here, the guys who joint these types of "clubs" are guys who wake up one day and realize they are loners without many friends.

Shriners is also an appendant body of masonry. You have to be a master Mason first to be a Shriner. Used to be you also had to have gone through the Scottish Rite degrees first before being a Shriner. Georgia Shriners have dropped that requirement. Not sure about other states although you definitely have to be a master mason first. 

11 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

Eastern star is the branch for women. It is affiliated with freemasonry. 

Then from my experience is less real cult and more an easy target as a cartoonish cult (which really just means different) - invite only, walk around the room the long way, formality in strange ways.

My grandparents belong and take great pride in it. Doesn't seem bad so much as ... strange. But I've never looked into it beyond attending some ceremonies on their behalf and turning down offers.

... and it's 70% people over the age of 70.

1 minute ago, Jamalisms said:

Then from my experience is less real cult and more an easy target as a cartoonish cult (which really just means different) - invite only, walk around the room the long way, formality in strange ways.

My grandparents belong and take great pride in it. Doesn't seem bad so much as ... strange. But I've never looked into it beyond attending some ceremonies on their behalf and turning down offers.

... and it's 70% people over the age of 70.

Yeah I think all this is fair.

And for sure it is getting much older. Went through a period where no one was joining.Interest is picking up a little more now. 

I enjoy it but it certainly isn't for everyone. 

Ok, so what do you people do as Freemasons? What's the point of being a member?

Is it just like Fred Flinstone being in the Order of the Water Buffalo? Basically just a men's club where you wear a silly hat?

Denali   
18 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

If so where and what lodge?  Officer? Member of any appendant bodies?

I'm SD in rutland lodge 298 in Georgia. Also in the Scottish Rite. That's enough to keep me busy for now but would like to do the York rite degrees. 

So where's all the buried treasure?

C'mon.  You can tell us.

3 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Ok, so what do you people do as Freemasons? What's the point of being a member?

Is it just like Fred Flinstone being in the Order of the Water Buffalo? Basically just a men's club where you wear a silly hat?

We work to become better men. 

Fred Flintstones group was more like shriners than anything. That is the lighthearted social arm of masons. 

2 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

Fred Flintstones group was more like shriners than anything. That is the lighthearted social arm of masons. 

So what is it you do to work to become better men? What activities do you engage in as Freemasons?

chef   
3 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

Granddaddy was one of those too.  Even rode a Harley at about 1 mph in their motorcade for parades, circuses. 

And Grandma is a past Worthy Grand Matron of The Eastern Star for the Southeast.  ALL IN I'm tellin' ya.

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

So what is it you do to work to become better men? What activities do you engage in as Freemasons?

Genetic engineering experiments to create a race of supermen. 

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

Fellowship charitable activities and education mostly. 

Opus74   
2 hours ago, Starkiller said:

Exhibit A:  Shriners Hospitals.

My dad was a Mason, inactive the last several years of his life.  My wife's parents we very active in the Shrine and Eastern Star.  They were somewhat disappointed that none of the kids ever had any interest in it but the topic was never mentioned. 

They don't recruit...an applicant has to seek them out.

Edited by Opus74