Sign in to follow this  
Legaltitan

Anyone else here a Freemason?

14 hours ago, Opus74 said:

They don't recruit...an applicant has to seek them out.

Correct.  It is a Masonic offense to recruit invite someone to become a Mason.  They have to ask and petition a lodge on their own volition.

13 hours ago, patsplat said:

How much are yearly lodge dues?  Is it like a Netflix subscription?  More like a premium all channels cable bill?

Or like a monthly retainer?

My lodge dues are $112 a year.  They go up a couple of bucks most years.  We are one of the higher ones in Middle Georgia.  No idea about other Lodges.

This video, although a little on the sappy side, is very well done and is about as good as an explanation of what Freemasonry is about (or strives to be about) that I could give.  It was produced by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts:

5 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

This video, although a little on the sappy side, is very well done and is about as good as an explanation of what Freemasonry is about (or strives to be about) that I could give.  It was produced by the Grand Lodge of Massachusetts:

Jokes aside, it reminds me of joining a Fraternity (the ideas and brotherhood of it). 

I can see its appeal but I wonder if the time and social commitments wouldn't start to get weary after a bit. I would also be wary of the time being pulled away from the family.   I think that is the reason that so many participants of these types of groups as well as local political involvements seem to attract older citizens.   

1 minute ago, Pragidealist said:

Jokes aside, it reminds me of joining a Fraternity (the ideas and brotherhood of it). 

I can see its appeal but I wonder if the time and social commitments wouldn't start to get weary after a bit. I would also be wary of the time being pulled away from the family.   I think that is the reason that so many participants of these types of groups as well as local political involvements seem to attract older citizens.   

Yeah right, at its heart it is basically a fraternity.

And yes busy lives is probably the number one reason why membership is aging.  Young men are joining, but the biggest numbers came right after World War II and those guys are getting old and starting to pass away.

The reality is the time commitment is really not that much.  In fact, once you progress through the three degrees, the time commitment is really whatever you want it to be.  Some guys never show up to Lodge and just like the idea of being members.  Some come to Lodge occasionally and help out with charitable work when they can, some come regularly, and some live eat and breathe Masonry.  Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.

I am a pretty busy guy (lawyer with wife and daughter who I am very involved with).  I am pretty active, and hold an officer position, and the time commitment is really not much.  Lodge meeting two nights per month, 3 main fundraisers a year which require the better part of a Saturday, and then other things here and there.

I zealously guard my family time and have a pretty demanding job and I find I have time to participate meaningfully.

WVTITAN   

I felt more like a slavemason, get up go to work, repeat.  I saved, raised my kids and retired to my farm at age 47.  So I guess I'm a freefarmer for two years now lol. 

'Nator   

A lot of the founding fathers were Masons. 

It's basically the Illuminati minor leagues. The advanced initiates will eventually rise to become movers and shakers in the Illuminati with Jay Z, the reptilian shape shifting aliens and  the Pope in order to influence world events. 

Legal are you at the level yet where you get to talk to Satan face-to-face or are you just commiserating with low level demons at this point? 

Both of my grandfathers were the worshipful masters of their respective lodges (Chef, one of them was at Beech Lodge in the Goodlesttville/Gallatin area) and my Dad made it to the Scottish rite levels. So they are all in the Illuminati. If I have a kid I'll probably name him Hiram Abiff. 

8 minutes ago, 'Nator said:

It's basically the Illuminati minor leagues. The advanced initiates will eventually rise to become movers and shakers in the Illuminati with Jay Z, the reptilian shape shifting aliens and  the Pope in order to influence world events. 

Legal are you at the level yet where you get to talk to Satan face-to-face or are you just commiserating with low level demons at this point? 

Both of my grandfathers were the worshipful masters of their respective lodges (Chef, one of them was at Beech Lodge in the Goodlesttville/Gallatin area) and my Dad made it to the Scottish rite levels. So they are all in the Illuminati. If I have a kid I'll probably name him Hiram Abiff. 

Well I'm on track to be Master of my Lodge and have been through all the Scottish Rite degrees.  I mostly just get to help with barbecue fundraisers and giving out scholarships.

patsplat   
9 hours ago, Legaltitan said:

My lodge dues are $112 a year.  They go up a couple of bucks most years.  We are one of the higher ones in Middle Georgia.  No idea about other Lodges.

Thanks for sharing.  That's totally fair and well short of cult status.

On 8/15/2016 at 4:42 PM, 'Nator said:

I came to bump this thread to announce that I am the Worshipful Master of my lodge this year, and saw this gem of a post. Lol.

I think after this year I'll get to meet some of the higher level demons.

I'm also Scottish Rite, but not 33rd yet. I'm KCCH, which is basically a step before 33rd.

chef   
40 minutes ago, Legaltitan said:

I came to bump this thread to announce that I am the Worshipful Master of my lodge this year, and saw this gem of a post. Lol.

I think after this year I'll get to meet some of the higher level demons.

I'm also Scottish Rite, but not 33rd yet. I'm KCCH, which is basically a step before 33rd.

Good for you.  Congrats.

Say hi to Asmodeus, Baal and Mammon for me.

abenjami   

I had a friend who joined the Freemasons because his dad was some high up dude in the local organization.

He went for about 6 months and quit.  He said it was lame.

11 hours ago, abenjami said:

I had a friend who joined the Freemasons because his dad was some high up dude in the local organization.

He went for about 6 months and quit.  He said it was lame.

It's not for everyone. Like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it.