OTA Updates

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah.   The scheme.

Scotty is that 80 year old guy on an island in the South Pacific, still defending the land because he doesn't realize Japan lost the war

One thing that I've liked about Vrabel is the emphasis on teaching players. I think we've lacked that with the previous coaching staffs.

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

What are you expecting from a fourth year player who was injured last offseason, learning a new system, and was hamstrung by a system in which he looked uncomfortable? 

Youre making it seem like he hasn’t done shit when he actually has. Lately, you’ve been as bad with your extreme criticism as the homers have been with their extreme defense. 

Its okay to be in in the middle, but I think most everyone knows where you stand with Mariota now. 

I think people take @OILERMAN contrarian views a little too harshly.  If we all agreed and nobody pointed out any weaknesses, the levels of knowledge about what we have would be pretty weak.  

51 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

I wouldn’t really be worried about losing LaFleur. I don’t think we would end up with some bum OC to replace him. 

Right.  LeFleur comes out of a lineage of coaches.  We lucked up getting him because he wasn't allowed to call plays.  JRob probably has or will have an understudy in place.  Additionally, we'll be playing in the SB and all the good HC jobs will be gone.  LaFleur will be here for a long time, if he's successful.

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I think most everyone knows where you stand with Mariota now. 

Unless they can’t read

Its time for top level production

No excuses

2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Here's the lowdown on blanketed WRs:  They cannot be thrown open.  Throwing the ball to them is not a "contested catch" opportunity, it is a stupid, unforgivable mistake by a QB.  Even in practice, it would only increase the likelihood of injury by the WR colliding with the CB in an attempt to break up a pick.

Common sense lol.

Edited by Huston

55 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I think people take @OILERMAN contrarian views a little too harshly.  If we all agreed and nobody pointed out any weaknesses, the levels of knowledge about what we have would be pretty weak.  

And some follow him off the cliff every time, not because they agree but just to be contrary and the whole argument gets derailed and we have to start all over again after a few weeks lol.

Edited by Huston

1 hour ago, titansjr9988 said:

I agree, but if the offense has a great season or 2 how long does LaFleur stick around before getting offers for a HC position? 

That's just the burden of being good. Smart teams plan for such inevitabilities by grooming competent successors.

11 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Unless they can’t read

No excuses

Excuses my ass. Mariota should have lead Ruston Webster's roster to the Super Bowl his first year under Ken Pissincunt? He should have been able to overcome injury and Mike Mularkey's god awful ideas and coaching staff and turned chicken shit into chicken salad?

Yeah, it's time. He's finally in an environment and on a team built to produce "top level production." I expect nothing less. But in the event we don't actually get said production I'll judge that event by its own merits, not by some predetermined narrative. And I'll lay blame where it deserves to be.

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Excuses my ass. Mariota should have lead Ruston Webster's roster to the Super Bowl his first year under Ken Pissincunt? He should have been able to overcome injury and Mike Mularkey's god awful ideas and coaching staff and turned chicken shit into chicken salad?

Yeah, it's time. He's finally in an environment and on a team built to produce "top level production." I expect nothing less. But in the event we don't actually get said production I'll judge that event by its own merits, not by some predetermined narrative. And I'll lay blame where it deserves to be.

Amen

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Unless they can’t read

No excuses

That's pretty much it.  He's going to have to prove that he can play QB at a high level for one entire season.  It would be nice if he stayed healthy for one year as well.

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Can you name any "star" QBs that never reached their potential because of the coaching staff?

I have high hopes for Mariota. But for some reason fans make all the excuses in the world for their home-town QB. There are people in this forum that STILL blame others for Vince Young's issues. And even Jake Locker, which is shocking.

Yet, I doubt you're wondering how the coaching staff ruined JaMarcus Russell or Tim Couch. 

Flops are flops. So while everyone deserves blame ultimately it falls on the individual to work it out. 

Edited by big2033

8 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Mariota is far from being like Russell or Couch (although Couch had his share of injuries).  Coaching does matter.  Ask Goff.  Now I agree if Mariota flops with this coaching staff we should have some serious questions.  But cross that bridge when we get to it.  

Ultimately, a player will be what he's supposed to be. I don't know of any QB that never reached their potential because of staff. Even Luck reached his potential for at least one season and you could question what his staff did to him.

I never bought the David Carr BS ... he just wasn't any good.

If Mariota NEVER reaches his potential I'll have nobody to blame but Mariota. You can def argue Mularkey helped Mariota progress in year one. Hence the high expectations last year. He didn't do it. 

You can put blame on a coach for a rough season, but never for a career. I would expect Mariota to figure it out even if Mularkey were still on staff or he's just not good enough.

Edited by big2033

58 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Ultimately, a player will be what he's supposed to be. I don't know of any QB that never reached their potential because of staff. Even Luck reached his potential for at least one season and you could question what his staff did to him.

I never bought the David Carr BS ... he just wasn't any good.

If Mariota NEVER reaches his potential I'll have nobody to blame but Mariota. You can def argue Mularkey helped Mariota progress in year one. Hence the high expectations last year. He didn't do it. 

You can put blame on a coach for a rough season, but never for a career. I would expect Mariota to figure it out even if Mularkey were still on staff or he's just not good enough.

Things aren't as black and white as that, would Steve Young be who he is if he stayed in Tampa, ditto for Farve in Atlanta. Thats same line of thinking as coaching doesn't matter. As far as QB's figuring it out on their own name one who did because i cant think of one off hand.