Should JRob have hired LaFleur as Head Coach?

Tex in a Can

Should JRob have hired LaFleur as Head Coach last off season?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Should JRob have hired LaFleur as Head Coach last off season?

• Yes JROb should have hired LaFleur as the Head Coach last off season
    • No, JRob made the right decision to not hire LaFleur as the Head Coach last off season

Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

I don't remember what it was but he was for sure over emotional to the point of receiving criticism.... Pointing out someone's emotion's during their introductory press conference to their dream job (especially for someone as historical as the Packers) is as nonsensical as you can get

Not sure if you actually thought his nervousness was a criticism compared to just a comment, but thinking it's remotely any indication of the coach he will be is retarded

He was the same with the Titans.  My point was more that he just doesn't come across as a head coach.

Like I said, I don't really think Brad Stevens does either and he's done well so who knows.  But if you listened to the press conference and heard Mark Murphy speak and then LaFleur speak if was night and day.  One comes across as a leader and one comes across as shy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No.  Vrabel is a terrific coach.  

No. I like Vrabel a lot and I think he is the right choice for us. 

I don't look at Vrabel really as a defensive coach.  I look at him as a smart game manager who does a terrific job getting his guys to play for him and knows the rules inside and out.   How

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, scine09 said:

He was the same with the Titans.  My point was more that he just doesn't come across as a head coach.

Like I said, I don't really think Brad Stevens does either and he's done well so who knows.  But if you listened to the press conference and heard Mark Murphy speak and then LaFleur speak if was night and day.  One comes across as a leader and one comes across as shy.

I get that you're not saying it means he will be a bad coach, I'm just pointing out how useless of a thing it means to point out that someone seems nervous or timid. Everyone has commented on how smart LaFleur is and how well he understands the games and utilizes the resources around him... Sounds like a QB that we all know.

You don't have to have the bravado of Jameis or Cowher to lead someone, as long as you know the ins and outs of the game, use everyone around you correctly and don't come across as a me-first idiot you can lead a team of men just fine.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

I get that you're not saying it means he will be a bad coach, I'm just pointing out how useless of a thing it means to point out that someone seems nervous or timid. Everyone has commented on how smart LaFleur is and how well he understands the games and utilizes the resources around him... Sounds like a QB that we all know.

You don't have to have the bravado of Jameis or Cowher to lead someone, as long as you know the ins and outs of the game, use everyone around you correctly and don't come across as a me-first idiot you can lead a team of men just fine.

I hope the guy does well.  He seems like a good guy.  But does he scream head coach to you?  He doesn't to me.

Just now, scine09 said:

I hope the guy does well.  He seems like a good guy.  But does he scream head coach to you?  He doesn't to me.

No but I've seen enough instances of people overcoming the norm from either side of the spectrum to be successful. There's been every single type of personality, in every single sport to lead a team to a championship... My only qualifier that would eliminate the guy would be a me-first, idiot who doesn't understand the game.

HC is the least important major spot IMO on the team as long as the guys use their resources correctly and don't try to force their stance too much. He is ultimately a glorified OC so my worry is that he will be in over his head after only 1 year of calling plays. Absolutely no worries about his personality.

No but I've seen enough instances of people overcoming the norm from either side of the spectrum to be successful. There's been every single type of personality, in every single sport to lead a team to a championship... My only qualifier that would eliminate the guy would be a me-first, idiot who doesn't understand the game.

HC is the least important major spot IMO on the team as long as the guys use their resources correctly and don't try to force their stance too much. He is ultimately a glorified OC so my worry is that he will be in over his head after only 1 year of calling plays. Absolutely no worries about his personality.

Two things would concern me.  Will guys play for him being that he's so young and quiet?  And how is he at managing games?  With Vrabel I think people were concerned at how well he'd do managing games and he's terrific at it.  Game management can win or lose you games.

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

Two things would concern me.  Will guys play for him being that he's so young and quiet?  And how is he at managing games?  With Vrabel I think people were concerned at how well he'd do managing games and he's terrific at it.  Game management can win or lose you games.

That's why I think he will be in over his head and ONLY that, how quickly he can manage the offense and the entire game on the fly, he clearly will be the real OC too.

Aaron Rodgers overshadowing him and the team not listening to LaFleur isn't a worry. Besides Martellus Bennett, even with McCarthy running the team into the ground there were no real locker room issues with too big of personalities. Just shit written by message board fans and EPSN talking heads

1 minute ago, wiscotitansfan said:

That's why I think he will be in over his head and ONLY that, how quickly he can manage the offense and the entire game on the fly, he clearly will be the real OC too.

Aaron Rodgers overshadowing him and the team not listening to LaFleur isn't a worry. Besides Martellus Bennett, even with McCarthy running the team into the ground there were no real locker room issues with too big of personalities. Just shit written by message board fans and EPSN talking heads

He's going to be under way more pressure than almost all first year guys.  With Rodgers it's Super Bowl or bust.  And if Rodgers is healthy most of the year and they miss the playoffs?  I could see everyone there being fired.  That just won't be acceptable.

8 minutes ago, scine09 said:

He's going to be under way more pressure than almost all first year guys.  With Rodgers it's Super Bowl or bust.  And if Rodgers is healthy most of the year and they miss the playoffs?  I could see everyone there being fired.  That just won't be acceptable.

And what does any of that have to do with you thinking MLF doesn't seem like a head coach? That the pressure is going to be too much and he's going to have a mental breakdown if things don't go well?

sticking with the cool, collected veteran coaching route wasted the prime of Rodgers' life by sticking with Ted Thompson, McCarthy and Capers when shit clearly wasn't working out because Rodgers was carrying those sad saps and their status quo for so long. If there is any improvement (which I think there will be lots of), it WILL show up in the results, there won't need to be a mile long list of woulda, coulda, shouldas.

"Everyone" there  is not getting fired after one year with a healthy Rodgers. I can absolutely guarantee it and would make any bet about it.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

2 minutes ago, TitanedUpSince'70 said:

It's official then.  New bet for this year at TR is Oman wisco vs. ILF scine for $___?!  You guys work out the bet details and then start the thread! ;) 

Hahah oh god no, there's 100% chance that they don't clean house after 1 year (TT will probably get completely disowned from the team though and take even less of a role)... and there's just as unlikely of a chance that Rodgers stays completely healthy lol

Edited by wiscotitansfan

1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

And what does any of that have to do with you thinking MLF doesn't seem like a head coach? That the pressure is going to be too much and he's going to have a mental breakdown if things don't go well?

sticking with the cool, collected veteran coaching route wasted the prime of Rodgers' life by sticking with Ted Thompson, McCarthy and Capers when shit clearly wasn't working out because Rodgers was carrying those sad saps and their status quo for so long. If there is any improvement (which I think there will be lots of), it WILL show up in the results, there won't need to be a mile long list of woulda, coulda, shouldas.

"Everyone" there  is not getting fired after one year with a healthy Rodgers. I can absolutely guarantee it and would make any bet about it.

I'm just saying it's a lot for a young guy who's never been a head coach at any level.

So you're saying if Rodgers is healthy and the results are similar to this year they'll just make do and go into 2020 the same way?

8 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I'm just saying it's a lot for a young guy who's never been a head coach at any level.

So you're saying if Rodgers is healthy and the results are similar to this year they'll just make do and go into 2020 the same way?

Firing someone is completely different than cleaning house. I am 100000% certain Lafleur and every person on that staff isn't getting canned 16 games into his HC career.

So yes, they will just "make do".

Also as I said, Packers aren't getting 6 wins with a 16 game healthy Rodgers, plain and simple. The last time the Packers got 6 wins with a healthy Rodgers was his "rookie" year in 2008.

Do you want to have a conversation about Vrabel getting canned if Titans win 2 games with a healthy Mariota? No, because it's a pretty fucking dumb hypothetical.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

4 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Firing someone is completely different than cleaning house. I am 100000% certain Lafleur isn't getting canned 16 games into his HC career.

Also as I said, Packers aren't getting 6 wins with a 16 game healthy Rodgers, plain and simple.

I certainly don't either.  But that's kind of the point.  The Packers are going to be expected to be good next year if Rodgers is healthy.  But if he is and they don't have a good year who takes the hit?

5 minutes ago, scine09 said:

I certainly don't either.  But that's kind of the point.  The Packers are going to be expected to be good next year if Rodgers is healthy.  But if he is and they don't have a good year who takes the hit?

No one. The DC maybe if he shits the bed again after likely getting more weapons this draft.... It's a new HC (which will replace the "OC"s that are in place essentially) and within 2 years of a new GM and DC.

The Packers aren't the fucking Browns or Jags. There will be extreme amounts of bitching and moaning but they aren't going to cycle through coaches annually until Rodgers retires.

As I said AGAIN, 6 wins with a HEALTHY Rodgers just isn't happening. Period. I don't get why you are so caught up on the possibility of Rodgers having the worst year of his career while expecting the rest of the team to not improve and possibly be worse. It's a dumb hypothetical.

Edited by wiscotitansfan