Jamalisms

Episode 166 - Defeating the Eagles (with @TitansFilmRoom)

Scotty and Jamal are joined by Justin Graver (Titans Film Room) to discuss the third win in a row, a coming out party for the Titans offense and a less tricky, more solid all-around performance that got the job done against the defending Super Bowl champions, bringing the Titans to 3-1 at the quarter mark of the 2018/2019 season. Also up for discussion - How did Buffalo beat Minnesota and how can the Titans avoid a similar fate?

http://traffic.libsyn.com/twotonecrew/Episode_166.mp3

Thank you for the podcast! It's great hearing from Justin as well, great guest!

I like how you started talking about the battered fan syndrome and really wonder why so many fans have kept such an unhealthy skepticism regarding how this team will perform.  So many fans are grounded with an outlook that things can be bad and will likely fail unless proven otherwise.  I am rooted as a skeptic as well, and there were questions at the start of the season about these coaches, but what they did in week 2 told me something was different.  Then building with performances in week 3 and now week 4 is more than enough for me to be optimistic and hope not to be proven otherwise.  Just like I'm confident Vrabel understands this week could be a trap game, but think he and the team will be prepared to prevent this, because they have already proven they knew how to prepare for the challenges they've already faced weeks 2-4.

Regarding Mariota's interception, I really think it is a case of him feeling the pressure of being down and trying to make something happen.  A situation he was forced into countless times last season, where he is having to play hero ball.  (I believe there will be a healing process for Mariota in this area.)  This is largely due to having to compensate for inept offensive play calling (this may be more accurate than challenging the scheme altogether, although I deem its criticisms are well warranted as well..), and was touched on as well, talking about how Lafleur's play calls seemed systematic and structured vs Robiskie's random grab bag of plays based on what he feels could pop.  All this to say, Mariota still needs to learn to take what the defense gives him, regardless of the score, and trust that the opportunities for shots will present themselves.

I will continue listening, back to hearing about Mariota's interception, and thank you again for the podcast!

2 hours ago, Huston said:

Oman still trying to shit on Henry lol.

For good reason. Henry was awful in this game, save for the one run where he half stiff-armed his man. I get that the blocking hasn't been good, which is why both guys are strugglong, but Henry's running style is pitiful, especially considering his build. The guy is thicker than Eddie George ever was and he runs like he's a 190 lb scat back always looking to avoid contact.

I'm not ready to say Henry is a bad RB, but he sure as shit isn't running like a feature back. He's essentially Dexter McCluster in Legarrette Blount's body. 

52 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

For good reason. Henry was awful in this game, save for the one run where he half stiff-armed his man. I get that the blocking hasn't been good, which is why both guys are strugglong, but Henry's running style is pitiful, especially considering his build. The guy is thicker than Eddie George ever was and he runs like he's a 190 lb scat back always looking to avoid contact.

I'm not ready to say Henry is a bad RB, but he sure as shit isn't running like a feature back. He's essentially Dexter McCluster in Legarrette Blount's body. 

I don't agree with any of that, you cant run through holes that aren't there. The guy has taking a beating at or behind the line of scrimmage, you've seen Lewis get crushed in the back field multiple times in his few carriers as well. Henry just inst blaming the blocking and is putting the blame on himself which is what you want from a starting RB.

The Eagles were not going to let Henry get outside and break a long run.  They played a safety spy on him.  That’s a good thing.  The bad news is he is a slow accelerator.  They should spilt him out and create space for him and play a two back set on occasion.

1 hour ago, Huston said:

I don't agree with any of that, you cant run through holes that aren't there. The guy has taking a beating at or behind the line of scrimmage, you've seen Lewis get crushed in the back field multiple times in his few carriers as well. Henry just inst blaming the blocking and is putting the blame on himself which is what you want from a starting RB.

Then create your own holes. You're 6'3, 250 lbs, and built like a brick shit house but you can't manage to create your own holes every now and then? You can't dole out your own beatings? And you look like Bambi trying to change direction on a hard surface when there aren't any holes?

I can understand Lewis not getting push in the face of defenders in the backfield. He's over half a foot shorter and 40 lbs lighter than Henry. He's the one who is actually built to do the kind of running that Henry is trying to do.

I hope Henry does start getting more room to run soon because he looks like the literal embodiment of "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

11 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Henry is upper body. That's why he stiff arms. But he doesn't have powerful, churning legs and doesn't have a low center of gravity.

Thats his main issue. 

Good discussion, thanks guys, I'm going to watch the Buffalo Minny game to see if I can spot what was discussed.

I do see a pattern:

2 weeks ago Mariota was not a very good QB.

This week Henry is not a very good running back.

I'm waiting for Henry to have 2 of the best games of his career in the next 2 weeks!

Go Titans!

1 hour ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Then create your own holes. You're 6'3, 250 lbs, and built like a brick shit house but you can't manage to create your own holes every now and then? You can't dole out your own beatings? And you look like Bambi trying to change direction on a hard surface when there aren't any holes?

I can understand Lewis not getting push in the face of defenders in the backfield. He's over half a foot shorter and 40 lbs lighter than Henry. He's the one who is actually built to do the kind of running that Henry is trying to do.

I hope Henry does start getting more room to run soon because he looks like the literal embodiment of "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

There's merit to this, but want to see what it looks like when we are at full strength on the o-line (Conklin is back, but first game back, new system, etc...), and when we are not playing against teams with top 10 run defenses (PHI #1, HOU #10, JAX #11, MIA #20 (MIA was #8 until NE..)).

Henry has looked the best when he was aggressive attacking the LOS and just running.  It really reminds me of CJ2K after he hit the record.  He left so many yards on the field while trying to hit the homerun.  It may kill me if I see him miss the opportunity to blow up some little DB trying to tackle him though...  Blow someone up so badly that they will be diving out of your way the next time!

Also, Buffalo is currently ranked #12 against the run, so it looks like tough sledding ahead, again..

1 hour ago, TitansFan_42 said:

There's merit to this, but want to see what it looks like when we are at full strength on the o-line (Conklin is back, but first game back, new system, etc...), and when we are not playing against teams with top 10 run defenses (PHI #1, HOU #10, JAX #11, MIA #20 (MIA was #8 until NE..)).

Henry has looked the best when he was aggressive attacking the LOS and just running.  It really reminds me of CJ2K after he hit the record.  He left so many yards on the field while trying to hit the homerun.  It may kill me if I see him miss the opportunity to blow up some little DB trying to tackle him though...  Blow someone up so badly that they will be diving out of your way the next time!

Also, Buffalo is currently ranked #12 against the run, so it looks like tough sledding ahead, again..

The fact we've been playing tough defenses is understandable, but it's not the hill to die on. Opposing defenses aren't responsible for Henry running the way he does, slow and timid at the hand off. It just makes their job that much easier. Eventually you've got to be the guy(s) earning your scratch too. And not just the RBs but the interior of the line. They aren't absolved from their role in the rushing ineffectiveness.