Jump to content
Jonboy

Nintendo Switch Thread

Recommended Posts

I'm hyped, but I'm kinda a Nintendo fanboy.

Still, a true 3d Mario Game, Zelda, Splatoon, and (portable) Skyrim are nothing to sneeze at.  I do question the portable controllers both in size and potential durability  as well as the on-the-go battery life, but overall it's looking promising.

Happy to see their third party relationships seems to be better too.  Hopefully it's a hit.  It will be interesting in a year to see whether true console/mobile hybrid gaming versus Virtual Reality is what the market is more ripe for.  Apparently the Playstation VR is getting pretty positive reviews, so it'll be an interesting contest to watch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stranger   

After much skepticism previously, I'm excited up for this thing. Looks like what the Wii U should've been.

Playing BotW and that new 3D Mario they showed will make getting the Switch worth it for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mercalius said:

I'm hyped, but I'm kinda a Nintendo fanboy.

Still, a true 3d Mario Game, Zelda, Splatoon, and (portable) Skyrim are nothing to sneeze at.  I do question the portable controllers both in size and potential durability  as well as the on-the-go battery life, but overall it's looking promising.

Happy to see their third party relationships seems to be better too.  Hopefully it's a hit.  It will be interesting in a year to see whether true console/mobile hybrid gaming versus Virtual Reality is what the market is more ripe for.  Apparently the Playstation VR is getting pretty positive reviews, so it'll be an interesting contest to watch.  

This is what is getting me really excited. Bethesda has been open in the past and had no problem shitting on Nintendo. The fact that Skyrim was in the ad for it is very encouraging. It's an old game but goes to show that real 3rd party support is possible, even if it wont be FPS's (which I couldn't care less about anyway)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stranger   

I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding 3rd party support. It's one thing to advertise it, it's another to see it come to fruition. The Wii U was supposed to have great 3rd party support and you see how that turned out.

If you're going to buy the Switch, buy it because you enjoy Nintendo games and the benefits of what the Switch is advertising. If it gets 3rd party support, then it's just icing on the cake.

In regard to Skyrim, I've seen a few people talk about how it's an old game now on different sites so it isn't to be considered as big of a deal. But we have to assume this is the Remastered version that is also releasing in the next couple of weeks on the PC, Xbox One & PS4, and plenty of people are excited for those.

The only major difference between those versions and the Switch version is likely going to be the inclusion of mods, as I don't see Nintendo allowing them, thus hamstringing their version of the game that will already be 4 months behind when the Switch launches.

Playing Skyrim and Zelda on your TV, and then undocking the tablet to play them on the go? Yes, please!

I was very skeptical when all of the rumors were leaking regarding what the "NX" was, but seeing it in action, the worries I had regarding it were answered. I'm excited to have this system, even if it just gets Nintendo games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Stranger said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding 3rd party support. It's one thing to advertise it, it's another to see it come to fruition. The Wii U was supposed to have great 3rd party support and you see how that turned out.

That's not what I was really getting at. More importantly it shows that 3rd party developers view the Switch as a viable system... There are millions of better options to play 3rd party games, especially PC because it's cheaper and better. The fact that a developer like Bethesda (who have previously refused to work with Nintendo due to system specs being poor) has improved relationships with Nintendo to the point of being a big part of the ad relieves some of my initial worries that having the system be "mobile" would dumb down the specs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stranger   
41 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

That's not what I was really getting at. More importantly it shows that 3rd party developers view the Switch as a viable system... There are millions of better options to play 3rd party games, especially PC because it's cheaper and better. The fact that a developer like Bethesda (who have previously refused to work with Nintendo due to system specs being poor) has improved relationships with Nintendo to the point of being a big part of the ad relieves some of my initial worries that having the system be "mobile" would dumb down the specs.

I think it's definitely worth celebrating if you're a Nintendo fan to see Bethesda publicly supporting the system. (Though I'd personally rather have Rockstar support if I had a choice.)

But the reason I say to temper your expectations is because EA claimed they were going to offer the Wii U "Unprecedented Support" at its unveiling. A slew of other 3rd party games that were announced never even released on the system. Advertising Bethesda and all of the other major 3rd parties is Nintendo's way of trying to show they're working on their relationship with these companies, but it doesn't really prove anything until we see it. If the Switch sells like hot cakes, you can bet it will see nearly every major 3rd party release, because that's what these 3rd party companies really care about. Large install bases = $$$!

All things considered, unless Nintendo really drops the ball in advertising in the coming months before launch, I honestly think the Switch will sell pretty well. It looks to accomplish what the Wii U tried to do and partially what the Vita/PS4 remote play did. So I can definitely see why 3rd parties would hitch their wagon on it because it's probably going to be popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stranger   

I'm generally curious as to what this thing is going to cost.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10/20/nintendo-confirms-amiibo-support-for-nintendo-switch-clarifies-additional-features

Nintendo continued: "The dock is not the main console unit of Nintendo Switch. The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."

You'll basically be buying a tablet capable of playing home console games. The dock seemingly doesn't add any extra zap to the system.

This should help them to keep the cost of the system down so it's more affordable while also making money on it. I'm guessing $249-299.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stranger   

Skyrim isn't officially confirmed for the Switch.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-10-20-nintendo-switch-officially-revealed

Update 2: While Bethesda's much beloved Skyrim was clearly shown during Nintendo's Switch reveal video, the publisher told us today that it's not officially confirming the game just yet. "We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future," a spokesperson said. Skyrim Remastered is set to launch on October 28 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC; perhaps the Switch will receive a version of the Remastered game at launch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stranger   
1 hour ago, headhunter said:

Im not impressed. Hate the tiny controllers. 

The Joy-Cons (tiny controllers) are only necessary when you are playing on the go with friends so they can have a controller as well.

Otherwise you'll not have to use them that way unless a game requires it or has it as an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Officially have pre-ordered the system. The presentation last night did enough to convince me that it's worth a purchase and I have never had a problem with Nintendo hardware relative to Microsoft and Sony so not worried about a first shipment issue with any of the drives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...