Jonboy

Nintendo Switch Thread

patsplat   

An iPad has enough horsepower to hold most people's attention but the controls suck.  An optimized gaming tablet with graphics and controls would be great.

The battle for the living room was won by Sony, with MS circling not far behind.  There's no room for another console.

But the battle for the rest of the house is open.

5 minutes ago, patsplat said:

An iPad has enough horsepower to hold most people's attention but the controls suck.  An optimized gaming tablet with graphics and controls would be great.

The battle for the living room was won by Sony, with MS circling not far behind.  There's no room for another console.

To each their own though. From a marketing perspective there are lots of things that make sense but I don't think I can truly believe someone that says they aren't disappointed hearing this. Personally, I am only going to play at home and being able to not be tied to the living room TV isn't a concern of mine.

I don't want a system to "hold my attention", I want to be enamored with it. I just don't see that being the case for me. I haven't played Nintendo since the original Wii but mostly gamecube so luckily the games will still blow me away graphically relatively speaking probably.

patsplat   
Just now, wiscotitansfan said:

To each their own though. From a marketing perspective there are lots of things that make sense but I don't think I can truly believe someone that says they aren't disappointed hearing this. Personally, I am only going to play at home and being able to not be tied to the living room TV isn't a concern of mine.

I don't want a system to "hold my attention", I want to be enamored with it. I just don't see that being the case for me. I haven't played Nintendo since the original Wii but mostly gamecube so luckily the games will still blow me away graphically relatively speaking probably.

Like I said, I want something to play while other people are watching TV.  After they all go to bed it's back to Overwatch.

Stranger   
1 minute ago, patsplat said:

I disagree.

I don't know about most people, but I generally don't buy all three consoles per generation. Given that the PS4 & Xbox One are pretty much copies of each other, I don't need or want both. In our household, we usually do one or the other between Sony & Xbox along with the most recent Nintendo console.

As far as gaming handhelds are concerned, I just don't see Nintendo convincing people that primarily play on their phones to suddenly run out and buy this new NX handheld, otherwise more phone gamers would also own a 3DS/Vita. Handheld gaming is becoming a niche hobby that only the hardcore faithful buy into.

I think what you're getting at and what I think would be great as well is if the Wii U Gamepad had better range inside your home. As it is now, you have to be within about 10 feet of the console. If this is what the NX is, then great, but it won't be ideal for out of the home gaming (imagine lugging around the Gamepad on trips to the store), and it certainly isn't some new idea like they've been touting, but rather just an improvement on an existing one.

patsplat   

My primary computer at home is a MacBook Air.  A MacBook Air with high quality built in controllers sounds like a great gaming machine.

It won't keep up with the latest PC polygon count, but it would both fit into my day and complement a PS4.

Who knows what the NX turns out to be but the concept isn't far fetched.

Stranger   

Sure, it sounds like a novel idea. A portable home console would be cool. But again, a device that big wouldn't be something most people would be willing to lug around. You would, but you're in a likely very small group of people that would be okay with carrying around your MacBook Air (NX) just to play games on the go. For most people, I would imagine that the novelty would wear off very quickly, and it would get left at home more often than not except for long road trips and the such, negating the portability of it.

Consider Pokemon Go and the most recent Pokemon 3DS games X & Y (2013).

Why did the 3DS version of the game only sell 15M copies of the game to date when the mobile phone alternative Pokemon Go has been downloaded 75M times just over 3 weeks ago? Most people interested in portable gaming do so on their phone because they already always have it on them and it isn't an extra chore to carry around. If the mass market didn't mind carrying around extra gaming equipment to play games on the go, then they'd have bought a 3DS or Vita.

If those 75M people can't be convinced to buy a dedicated gaming device that's just slightly bigger than their phones that will fit in their pocket, then I don't believe they'll suddenly change their minds when you try to sell them on the idea that "Here's an even bigger dedicated gaming device that just happens to plays home console style games".

Based on what we've heard thus far, I feel like this things best benefit will be when you don't have a free TV at home to play games on or when you're on the pot and want to play Mario. It's basically what the Wii U and the Gamepad should have been, but couldn't accomplish. I think this current idea of the NX has limited reach outside the home to the mass market.

Either way, I hope it works out for Nintendo and they sell 100M units of whatever it actually is, but to me, it's clear that the handheld gaming market is shrinking, and Nintendo's market share as a whole is shrinking with it.

Jonboy   
On 7/26/2016 at 2:15 PM, wiscotitansfan said:

Doubtful. They may allocate more resources towards the NX but I don't see a way where they solve any problem by making the NX feel mobile. It's probably not actually anything related but may just use bluetooth capabilities to do something unique.

They restructured back in 2013 to unify their home console and handheld divisions (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/16/report-nintendo-to-restructure-hardware-divisions). For years they've had to split their 1st party resources across two platforms, but that will no longer be a problem with NX. Just imagine if every Wii U game had been a 3DS game and every 3DS game was also a Wii U game. That's a vast increase in the overall output of games for a single system.

Now to your point about "feeling" mobile...that's definitely a potential. Will the majority of games be most similar to mobile, handheld, or home console games?

@Jonboy I didn't put two and two together. In my mind mobile was phone and not 3DS. Right after I posted that I realized what you were actually talking about but never edited it.

The system could be great and will be nice to have a unified Nintendo but it's still disappointing since I don't like gaming on the go and lack of TVs or needing to go to a different room isn't a problem. I don't even like phone games (besides Pokemon of course).

Stranger   
11 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

They restructured back in 2013 to unify their home console and handheld divisions (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/16/report-nintendo-to-restructure-hardware-divisions). For years they've had to split their 1st party resources across two platforms, but that will no longer be a problem with NX. Just imagine if every Wii U game had been a 3DS game and every 3DS game was also a Wii U game. That's a vast increase in the overall output of games for a single system.

Now to your point about "feeling" mobile...that's definitely a potential. Will the majority of games be most similar to mobile, handheld, or home console games?

This is most certainly why they're releasing this hybrid. And I think it's a great idea, but the device itself sounds like it leaves a lot to be desired.

To answer your last question, I'm inclined to believe that the output for console style games will almost solely come from Nintendo's 1st party studios, with the vast majority of their 3rd party support coming way of more handheld style games. Which isn't a bad thing if you like the sort of 3rd party games that were available on the 3DS.

42 minutes ago, Stranger said:

This is most certainly why they're releasing this hybrid. And I think it's a great idea, but the device itself sounds like it leaves a lot to be desired.

To answer your last question, I'm inclined to believe that the output for console style games will almost solely come from Nintendo's 1st party studios, with the vast majority of their 3rd party support coming way of more handheld style games. Which isn't a bad thing if you like the sort of 3rd party games that were available on the 3DS.

Depending on the price, you mentioned how it almost HAS to be cheaper than the XBone... I have no problem if I can get a Mario/Zelda/Pokemon machine. No way I would be content with that at a $350+ price point but if the system launches a Zelda bundle for $350 I would be happy. Add in Mario World-ish game, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, a RPG and finally a party game. That is easily worth the $500-600 total.

But more importantly, it still leaves a lot to be desired and disappointed in.

Jonboy   
On 7/27/2016 at 9:05 AM, Stranger said:

The thing about the NX is that we know that the new Zelda game, Breath of the Wild will also be releasing on it. So the NX, if it is in fact a handheld, won't be a traditional handheld gaming device, because why would Nintendo release a game on their shiny new system that doesn't look or perform as well as does the Wii U version? This is why I am curious if the NX is a handheld that plugs up to your TV or if it's a portable home console instead, with the latter more likely IMO.

Very good post, but I think the fact that it's a mobile processor means it's more of a handheld that plugs into the TV, albeit, a very powerful handheld.

This digital foundry video did a great job of talking about what we could expect in terms of power. 

I do have to say, I for sure am underestimating the power this is. The GPU is more powerful than I do give it credit for and assuming Zelda was running on the Wii U at E3 (but runs just as good, if not better on NX) then it clearly is more than adequate.

Edit: Ironically, posted this before I saw the video above

Stranger   
44 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Very good post, but I think the fact that it's a mobile processor means it's more of a handheld that plugs into the TV, albeit, a very powerful handheld.

This digital foundry video did a great job of talking about what we could expect in terms of power. 

A turbo powered last gen console.....ugh.

I mentioned before that the vast majority of 3rd party console style games would come from Nintendo, but watching that video again, it really rings home that the NX is very unlikely to get any significant 3rd party games. It's not going to get any of the new GTA's, Fallout's, Red Dead's, etc.

Aside from the usual suspects for handheld 3rd party support, this thing is literally going to be just a Nintendo machine. You might see things like Ubisoft's Just Dance and crap like that, but nothing of real value will come from 3rd parties.

The price point for the NX is going to make or break its success. If they launch at too high of a price, it will instantly be dead in the water, and we'll be discussing the newest Nintendo gimmick in 3-4 years again.

I'm personally fine with it just being a Nintendo machine, but I sure as hell won't be paying $300 for it like I did with the Wii U. If this thing isn't sub $250, preferably $199-ish, then I think it's going to have a hard time selling to the mass market.

My speculations are running wild, but the more I think about it, the more I feel like the NX is just an upgraded Wii U, sort of like the New Nintendo 3DS is just an upgraded 3DS. The NX is more powerful than the Wii U, but less so than the PS4 & Xbox One, but the truth is, the Wii U was already powerful enough to run Nintendo style games just fine. Most of their 1st party games were easily 60 FPS & 1080p. And games such as Wind Waker HD were 1080p and a rock solid 30 FPS. It isn't like the Wii U isn't capable of performing up to par for their own games, it just sucked at games that could be played on the other two consoles. which sounds like the NX is going to have the same issue.

I hope Nintendo surprises me, but I'm feeling very doubtful at this point.

Stranger   
1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Depending on the price, you mentioned how it almost HAS to be cheaper than the XBone... I have no problem if I can get a Mario/Zelda/Pokemon machine. No way I would be content with that at a $350+ price point but if the system launches a Zelda bundle for $350 I would be happy. Add in Mario World-ish game, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, a RPG and finally a party game. That is easily worth the $500-600 total.

But more importantly, it still leaves a lot to be desired and disappointed in.

If it launches with Zelda or Mario, then I could see it maybe having price parity with the base Xbox One at $250, but anything higher than that and I think it will sit on shelves in stores collecting dust. The fact that it seems like Nintendo has given up on getting real 3rd party support means Nintendo can't expect consumers to buy a Nintendo only machine for more than a console that plays literally every other game on the market. The value just isn't there.