Former GM Floyd Reese And What Could've Been

MIKE75

LOL @ winning %.

Jack Pardee has a higher winning % than Jeff Fisher and was one of the worst head coaches ever. There is no comparison. Pardee might have gotten less out of an all star roster than any HC ever has.

Winning %s have to be looked at in context. Tony Dungy and Mike McCarthy are near the top all time and both sucked.

There just might be a reason George Seifert has one of the highest of all time with SF and a pitiful one with the Panthers.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought Fisher had one of the most impressive performances of his career in that loss to the Ravens.   The Titans had game planned the Ravens perfectly and pretty much controlled the game on both si

2000 good times, we went to the game. we were on our way back to my uncle's house when we stopped for gas after the game. My uncle comes out of the gas station looking all somber. I asked what was goi

The delay of game was so blatant. It was like 2 seconds after it had hit 0 that Flacco snapped the ball

I fail to see how a coach over .500 in his career has a "less than mediocre record."

Iowa, you are making me defend Fisher and I really don't want to do that.  But it's impossible not to given the nonsense you're throwing out there.

Barely over .500 rarely makes the playoffs.  That is why he is less than mediocre.  How many coaches with his tenure have a winning percentage barely over .500?

Actually, Iowa isn't talking nonsense at all in that regard.

If you look at all the coaches who have coached over 200 games in recent history, Fisher is second to last in winning percentage, ahead of only Norv Turner.  So to answer your question, all but one coach with Fisher's tenure has a winning percentage over .500 and Fisher is almost dead last among them.

Fisher's winning percentage is worse than guys like Jim Mora, Dennis Green and Marvin Lewis.

You're right in that sense.  I'm just talking about his career in general, not comparing him to others.  If you compare him to others who coached as long as Fisher has it's a joke.  But a lot of that has to do with the fact that most guys who coach as long as Fisher have been highly successful.  

Mediocre to me is around .500.  So Fisher has had a mediocre career.  But it's not "less than mediocre."

LOL @ winning %.

Jack Pardee has a higher winning % than Jeff Fisher and was one of the worst head coaches ever. There is no comparison. Pardee might have gotten less out of an all star roster than any HC ever has.

Winning %s have to be looked at in context. Tony Dungy and Mike McCarthy are near the top all time and both sucked.

There just might be a reason George Seifert has one of the highest of all time with SF and a pitiful one with the Panthers.

Exactly. Even discounting all the shit he had to deal with organization wise, the guy only had a top QB for about 5 years, '99-'03. Id be willing to bet we had one of the 2 or 3 best winning %'s during this time,

LOL @ winning %.

Exactly. Even discounting all the shit he had to deal with organization wise, the guy only had a top QB for about 5 years, '99-'03. Id be willing to bet we had one of the 2 or 3 best winning %'s during this time,

Actually during those 5 seasons the Titans I believe were tied with someone (Stl or Philly) for the best winning % in the NFL.

But that's still an excuse for the other seasons.  Like Abenjami said, he's among the worst coaches all time record wise for someone that's coached as long as he has.

LOL @ winning %.

Actually during those 5 seasons the Titans I believe were tied with someone (Stl or Philly) for the best winning % in the NFL.

But that's still an excuse for the other seasons.  Like Abenjami said, he's among the worst coaches all time record wise for someone that's coached as long as he has.

That's the thing though, only coaches that the league knows are very good get to coach that long. There's a reason the only 2 teams with vacancies in 2012 had a bidding war for Jeff Fisher.

Also, Stan Kroenke is a very sharp guy in sports & business. He knows what Fisher has had to deal with (competing in the toughest division in football with Kellen Clemens & Austin Davis as his QB) & how retarded it would be to listen to the people calling for his head. It's clear the Rams are going 100 MPH in the right direction.

Well it's not clear because the Rams have regressed each season since Fisher's first.  

I think it's pretty obvious why. They averaged 2 wins a year the 5 years before he gets there. The Great One more than triples their win total his 1st year there even though the division became brutal. Then Bradford got hurt the last 2 years.

If Nick Foles stays healthy for at least 13 games I'd be shocked if they don't make the playoffs.

Well it's not clear because the Rams have regressed each season since Fisher's first.  

I think it's pretty obvious why. They averaged 2 wins a year the 5 years before he gets there. The Great One more than triples their win total his 1st year there even though the division became brutal. Then Bradford got hurt the last 2 years.

If Nick Foles stays healthy for at least 13 games I'd be shocked if they don't make the playoffs.

Well they did go 7-9 just two years before he arrived.

Fisher better get to the playoffs this year. If I was Stan Kroenke I'd make it playoffs or bust. It's year four, he's had a million draft picks, he has his handpicked QB. It's time.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/4/23/8484813/nfl-com-jeff-fisher-is-untouchable

NFL.com: Jeff Fisher is "Untouchable"

By taiko  @RamsHerd on Apr 23, 2015, 3:27p 96 

usa-today-8198490.0.jpg
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

A recent NFL.com article ranked Jeff Fisher among the league's most "untouchable" coaches. the likeliest to retain power regardless of results. Why is this true? And is it a good thing?

From the article:

The characterization is correct: Fisher is indeed one of the most securely-situated coaches in the league. But Orr misses the reason why: because Stan Kroenke likes it that way.

The word "untouchable" in this context is another way of saying "unfireable," but the word has another, more potent connotation. In the Elliott Ness meaning of the word, untouchable meant "incorruptible," wholly insulated from any outside influence, even from one's superiors.

In Stan Kroenke's organization, Jeff Fisher is truly untouchable in a way that most other NFL coaches can only dream of.

Fisher's Historic Accumulation of Power

For most of his fifteen-plus years in Houston and Tennessee, Jeff Fisher was treated with princely regard by the team's mercurial and now deceased owner Bud Adams. Like a more stentorian Al Davis, Adams simply gave Fisher the directive to win, and sat back and enjoyed the result from his owner's box as the Titans went on a multi-year playoff run in the AFC Central. However, that relationship started to fall apart in the fallow years after that playoff run ended, as Adams started meddling directly in football affairs, causing kerfuffles around quarterbacks (Exhibit A: Vince Young) and assistant coaches (Exhibit B: Jim Washburn). The latter caused Fisher and Adams to "mutually part ways" in 2010.

In the epic 2012 offseason bidding war for Jeff Fisher's services, Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross was more than willing to match checkbooks with Missouri's favorite Wal-Mart billionaire. But Ross was unwilling to match Kroenke in one crucial aspect: control. Ross would have forced Fisher to be an employee of the owner's hand-picked GM, which is the norm in the NFL. (In this case, that would have meant working for colossal boob Jeff Ireland, a double-whammy.)

In Kroenke's final pitch, he gave Fisher carte blanche. Complete freedom to hire his own GM, and a bottomless checkbook to build his assistant coaching staff with. Complete freedom to empty the building at One Rams Park if he so desired, with salary cap man Kevin Demoff perhaps the only exception. Among NFL coaches, perhaps only Bill Belichick and Chip Kelly have accumulated so much power.

But beyond that, Kroenke went an extra step, all but promising to stay out of the way and let Fisher be the king of this roost. After all, the Rams are just one team in his portfolio, and not even the crown jewel at that.

Thus, Demoff is arguably the only person in the building not entirely beholden to Fisher for his or her presence. And with young Demoff being the son of Fisher's agent Martin Demoff, it's tough to see how he could apply any real leverage.

So with no one in the building to contest Fisher's power, the only conceivable way to heat up his seat would be through a grass-roots organization of fed-up fans. But with Kroenke actively turning his back on the Saint Louis fanbase, no number of torches and pitchforks (real or metaphorical) is likely to be enough to get his attention, or force his hand.

(Now Los Angeles fans, on the other hand...)

Fisher's History as a Slow-burn Team-builder

In return for his unprecedented level of control, Fisher essentially promised Kroenke stability.

We all know Fisher's well-established track record. Before coming to St Louis, his teams had only suffered five losing seasons in fifteen years. (Critics will rightly point out a huge number of 8-8 teams.) Fisher also had a ready rolodex of experienced assistants, and could populate his staff quickly.

He also has the experience of building up a team from nearly nothing into a playoff contender. In Houston and Tennessee, that meant four seasons of wallowing through the muck and accumulating talent before exploding into a run of playoff seasons.

Giving a one or two-game margin of error, Fisher is on the same track again here. That hews close enough to his own established performance record that few if any of Kroenke's feathers are ruffled. Massive wins over the Colts and Broncos in consecutive years no doubt help.

What we don't know is whether to expect the same results from this team-building effort. And if (when) Kroenke succeeds in his primary goal -- getting his team into the Los Angeles market -- then Fisher's on-field results or lack of them might get a lot more scrutiny. Ironically, that should be right when his core of talent is finally ready to peak.

Until that time comes, Fisher is untouchable as they come.

Edited by CanadianTitansFan

Oh man CTF, that article nailed it. These people have no idea of the heights of power Fisher will attain once they move to LA. The one mistake the article made is that Fisher will be under more scrutiny in LA. Not so, that's exactly when Kroenke needs him most. He doesn't have a star QB so he needs a celebrity HC, somebody who regularly breaks bread with bigwigs, a guy who runs with that crowd.

Come to think of it, I'd actually be a bit concerned that Fisher would fire me if I were Kroenke.

Since Munch increased the teams wins following Fisher's exit, does that make him a better coach?

Since Munch increased the teams wins following Fisher's exit, does that make him a better coach?

I'm not talking about a one year thing. The Rams average wins per season was 3 over a 5 year period. Fisher also had an injured VY & KC to deal with all year in 2010.

Looking back though I actually think Munch did a fairly decent job here. He lost too many games to horrible teams but I thought by & large the team looked pretty good for their talent level in '11 & '13.

Yep, plus you get that honeymoon phase in LA anyway. Winning will be besides the point for at least a couple of years.

In any case, as the writer said, it's looking as if the Rams roster could be peaking by the time they get to LA. Imagine if the Rams are kicking ass and they have all this momentum behind Fisher in LA and are owning shit?

Fisher could become a bigger part of the national consciousness than Kim Kardashian's ass. 

Yep, plus you get that honeymoon phase in LA anyway. Winning will be besides the point for at least a couple of years.

In any case, as the writer said, it's looking as if the Rams roster could be peaking by the time they get to LA. Imagine if the Rams are kicking ass and they have all this momentum behind Fisher in LA and are owning shit?

Fisher could become a bigger part of the national consciousness than Kim Kardashian's ass. 

You think he'd do the Hollywood circuit? I'm just picturing Jeff Fisher with some 20 year old hot as shit actress power lunching with studio heads...