TNF thread. Let's begin discussing this one

Bongo59

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have oldschool on ignore and it has improved my experience here.  He adds nothing to threads and proves with every post he makes.  Any fool can criticize, complain, and condemn—and most fools like o

This stat tells you just how dominant TN has been on D.    

sorry quack, we prefer the other thread.      

Posted Images

TN D is not just about stopping the run.  The defense has generated 77 pressures in the past two games combined.  One of those teams was number one in offense and the other was number one in defense.  

Nothing GB presents is as daunting as what TN has already faced. 

GB has a good run game.  Is it as good as Taylor or Barkley?  Taylor just won Offense player of the week.  TN dominated him when he was healthy.  Best offense rookie is RB of the Texans Pierce.  How did he do?  35 yds.  

KC RBs got 8 yds.  Their QB got 61.  

TN run D has allowed an NFL low 427 rushing yards (61 per game) since Week 3. The next fewest over that span is the 49ers with 609. TN is now an elite run defense that few people know about that makes every team they play one-dimensional on offense.

Defensive DVOA in Weeks 7-10

1) Tennessee Titans, -23.2%

2) New York Jets, -20.4%

3) New England Patriots, -19.7%

4) Denver Broncos, -13.1%

5) Dallas Cowboys, -10.9%

Just how good is TN up front?  Their unit is 32nd defending the deep ball by DVOA.  No one in TN cares.  Guess why?   It just hasn’t mattered much this year because teams can’t get to it. You can throw on TN but you will not score on them.  See the KC chiefs.  Mahommes had 68 passes and over 450 yds in 5 Q's and only scored 20 points.  The Titans have been either the best or one of the best teams creating pressure (depending who is charting it).  77 in the last two weeks and no D is close to them.  

Denico Autry is currently tied for the 4th most pressures with 41, per PFF.  Tennessee’s defense produced one of its most dominant pass rush performances since moving to Nashville.  That DL pressured Denver quarterback Russell Wilson on 40 of the 49 times he dropped back = 80% pressure rate.  That is higher rate than any game that the 1985 Bears or 2000 Ravens produced.  Yes, I went there.  They are becoming that kind of team.  

Edited by Bongo59

How good is the TN D?  

The Titans have gained 139 first downs this year. That's the lowest by any team in the NFL.

The Jaguars have gained 220 first downs this year. That's good for 2nd best in the NFL.

One team is 6-3 the other is 3-7...

Some of you want a great offense.  Some of us (ME) love what Vrable has built here.  An elite D that can travel anywhere and beat the shit out of your overpaid QB and WRs.  I love defense football teams because they demoralize opponents.  People hate playing teams like ours.  

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/11/16/23461620/tennessee-titans-playoff-push-afc-south-defense

Edited by Bongo59

I rewatched the Packers game with Dallas last night when I got to GB on NFL network.  If Dallas does not turn over the ball twice in the first half they likely blow out GB.  Dak played terrible.  Dallas D also was very soft against the run.  GB used Rogers as a game manager who basically only threw to one WR.  

If you want to beat GB just stop 33 and 28 in the run game and make Rogers throw over 30 times.  It opens his OL up to this DL pressure.  Put Fulton on Watson and no issues.  Dallas never put their best CB on Watson.  They had him on Lazard for some reason.  

Edited by Bongo59

No matter who TN plays or where they play this year you know this defense is going to show up.  Stonehouse has made this D even tougher than I thought theyd be in august because he is forcing everyone to travel long fields against this DL.  This is really why TN has given up a ton of passing yds but no one can score on them.  

It is the defensive philosophy that is built because of how the roster was constructed that is making them elite.  The DL is the engine, but the LB and secondary compliment the engine.  Few see it in TN's DNA and this defines how they play and this is why their passing stats are immaterial in 2022.  

I mentioned to DC Blanton before the KC game that Mahommes would have great stats but KC would not score over 20 points.  Many thought I was nuts.  I am not nuts.  I just understand what this team is doing because of how it is built.  

It is built to win in the NFL right now.  If you understand TN D, Vrable wants Rogers to throw 40 times into this defense.  He is going to shut down your ability to run to get his way.  Eventually that DL will grind you down or it will turn you over on long fields.  It also shortens the game and allows Henry to slowly destroy your D over 4 Q's and more often than not, TN will win playing ugly.  

ST tonight will be on display too.  Missing Fat Randy is an issue for us.  Punting however, won't be.  

Stonehouse has been the best rookie in this draft class and I think as we continue to play on National TV and the audience learns what he has already done and the see what 65 yd punts do for this defense.......Most of this board never saw Ray Guy's first 3 yrs in the league. 1973-76  

Ray Guy made the Raiders D elite.  Pittsburg always beat Oakland in 1973-1976 until the playoffs.   This is when the Raiders began to beat the Steelers legendary defensive teams.  Remember the Raiders beat Pittsbugh in 1976 in the middle of their dynasty.  I saw his effect on elevating Oakland to the level of the Steelers.  Stonehouse is having a better rookie year than Ray Guy did.  

Stonehouse is that good because he makes team face our DL gauntlet on long fields all day.

Tonight's game might be the shortest game in TNF history.  Both teams likely to run it over 35 times.    GB ST have not been good all year. 

Mason is better than Lambo but I bet Vrable has a plan for red zone FGs = more likley to go for things on 4th down especially of Simmons and Long play.  

Edited by Bongo59

1 hour ago, Bongo59 said:

Tonight's game might be the shortest game in TNF history.  Both teams likely to run it over 35 times.    GB ST have not been good all year. 

Mason is better than Lambo but I bet Vrable has a plan for red zone FGs = more likley to go for things on 4th down especially of Simmons and Long play.  

I'm just glad Tannehill is back.  Tannehill's presence will help the Titans' O get at least a few first downs to give the Defense more of a rest.  

^^^Totally agree.  But last week in the first half Tanny was terrible until the last two minutes of the first half.  TN has to be able to grind some first downs even when they do not score because of how they play.  That is where both Tanny and the OC have to improve.  I think his layoff made him rusty but Downing needs to adapt faster.  He certainly did in the second half.  

I thought Bowen adapted fast in the first half when it became clear that Denver was going to try to throw deep on us because of our injuries.  I would anticiplate GB playing a 5 man Defensive front and trying to test us deep early.  

The DL will have to hit Rogers early.  Bowen better be ready for that before snap one.   

One smart adjustment to the Ben Jones injury that TN should replace Radunz for swaim and run unbalanced lines.  This will limit the calls the Center has to make and it also mean that Levin will rarely see a hat over his snaps all night.  

This move is very wise if you plan on giving 35 carries tonight.